“A taste of paradise”

The Purist Villas and Spa
Ranked #9 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 13 October 2012

We got in after a 2 hour taxi drive from Jimbaran, where we stayed for one night after a late arrival in Denpasar. After having been in Jakarta for a 3-day business trip, the serenity of The Purist was great.

We weren't allowed to carry one of our own bags because and I quote: "It's your holiday sir". Service like this continued throughout our stay. Always with a smile, the butlers catered to our every need and were very friendly.

The villa was great. There's we were staying in the Jungle Villa which has lots of privacy, a great bathroom with stone bath, open shower and little fish in a pond (yes... in the bathroom). Also there's a spacious private deck with lounge bed and a stone-with-wood dining table. The villa's doors lead to the excellent shared pool (infinity style) and both the pool and the villa look out over the jungle. After a refreshing shower, we had lunch on the private deck.

It was my girlfriend's birthday (which the staff had figured out by themselves, without my letting them know) that day, so we decided to stay in for the night and have a romantic dinner. This is a special of the resort, $100-125 per couple. We came back from Ubud and were welcomed in the greatest of all surprises: flowers on the deck, followed by flower on the bed, followed by (open up the bathroom door) a flower bath. Incense in the rooms and on the deck. Just WONDERFUL! We first had a bath, after which our dinner was setup.

The dinner was amazing as well. A 4-course with choices between a European-style menu and a traditional Balinese menu. We opted for the latter and that was great!

During the night I got sick. According to my (medically skilled) girlfriend, it was a food infection, cause by something I ate a few days ago. I was in bed all day next day and the staff took care of me with special herbal tea and other niceties. All-in-all not a bed place to catch a little sickness in.

A few minor things that could be improved (not that it really bothered during this otherwise GREAT never to forget experience)
- the bed pillow are a bit on the hard side for our taste (note that we didn't bother to ask for softer ones, maybe they're around)
- all the toiletries are great, natural ingredients. The conditioner however can best be avoided if you have curly hair because it gets tangled
- the taxi drop to the airport is a bit pricey. We took a normal taxi from Jimbaran (further than the airport) which was about half the price

Don't let these minor things put you off by the way. In total, it's a great place!! We'd love to be back some day.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Jungle Villa. This was really nice; but not if you want a private swimming pool.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AlefArendsen
There are newer reviews for The Purist Villas and Spa

Reviewed 11 October 2012

Just returned from 4 days at the Purist Ubud, Bali. This is a truly remarkable place in the sense that as soon as you check in you feel totally relaxed, and pampered. The staff are superb, and nothing was to much trouble for them. We had come to stay in Ubud from Seminyak, which is a much more hustle and bustle town. The whole feeling of both the Purist and Ubud is so chilled that you dont want to leave. We stayed in River Villa 1. im sure our butler thought we were a little stupid, as when we entered our villa my partner and I just looked at each other agog, and didnt say a word. Our terraces, one from the lounge and the other from our bedroom, look out onto jungle, which is quite amazing. The outside bathroom is great with a stone bath and a fabulous separate shower. There is a dressing room area with a stone sink pedistal. The bedroom is very large with a kingsize bed, looking out to the jungle. My only complaint and this is very minor is that there could be more drawer space. We tend to travel with lots of luggage so notice things like this, but normal people would probably find the drawer space adequate. There is a great infinity pool, shred with three of the villas, but we hardly saw the other people so it was almost like having a private pool. Would definately go back to the Purist and hope to in 2014. Steve

Room Tip: Try either River Villa 1 or 2 for the view
2  Thank stevefrombushey
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We had a wonderful trip at The Purist. We stayed in the Hill Villa for 4 nights. The room, or shall I say house was spacious, comfortable and luxurious. Our private pool was beautiful as well, honestly wish we could have spent more time in our actual room! The service was fantastic, all of the butlers who helped us were very friendly and gracious. The front desk assistance was great and they were always able to arrange transportation with ease. We would love to come back one day and spend more time at the hotel as it is definitely a special experience.

Room Tip: The Hill Villa offers a very private stay as it's location is higher up above some of the other...
1  Thank Rebecca_Va
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Three days and nights in heaven.
Check the website for specials.
Let them organize everything for you: from taxi service downtown to motorbike-rentals, all at reasonable prices.
Except a transfer from/and to airport: you can get it for half price directly per mail from Ubud taxi.

3  Thank Christian B
Reviewed 7 October 2012

We had 4 wonderful nights at The Purist. Our trip was somewhat last minute- so we were lucky to secure the well appointed Garden Villa. Beautiful private pool, lovely room, great food, fabulous day beds - shade and sun - but what really made the Purist extra special for us was the excellent service provided by the Purist team. They have found the perfect balance of providing 5 star service without being intrusive. Nothing was too difficult and our whole experience was wonderful. It was the highlight of our 2 week holiday - we will be back!
We found the distance to Ubud perfect for us. It is a pleasant 20-25 min walk into town (great way to meet the locals and yes, there were some dogs but they didn't bother us), or a quick 3min taxi ride, or grab the shuttle service provided by the Purist. Highly recommend borrowing the bikes and heading into the local village and rice paddies. All in all, a fabulous visit. The only thing I would change is the building work next door, but hopefully that will be finished by the time we visit again!

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Jesshover
Reviewed 24 September 2012

My partner booked The Purist as a surprise birthday gift for me so I had no expectations of this place since I have not read any of the reviews here (as I would normally before making reservations). From having zero expectations to exceeding my expectations? Well, that clearly speaks volume for The Purist.

Arriving from the airport, I was pleased to find our names on a nameplate board - comparing to other resort/hotels, the board itself stood out from the others with scribbled names of guests on paper written carelessly. I knew right from the very beginning The Purist was going to be special. On board the transfer van (which smelled new and was very, very clean), we were given the coldest face towel and cold bottles of water. For them to make sure that the temperature stayed perfect even after the drive to the airport and the waiting for our plane to land, it was obvious that they had a cooler inside the van. Little details like this stands out. We also were handed a menu and our driver assisted to patch us through the manager so that we could give our orders. Once we were at the hotel, staff were waiting for us with flower wreathes and more cold face towels. I noticed right away the beauty of the grounds and how well kept the whole place was. I saw how a lot of thought went into designing the whole place to ensure total privacy of all individual villas. We were escorted promptly to our room (Jungle Villa) where they introduced us to our butler who in turn explained the room amenities and services offered. The room is handsomely decorated. It was such a high to have all the comforts of home and yet have nature right smack where you are. The bed was huge and the mosquito netting was made elegant with the use of a 4-poster bed. The flat-screen TV had good channels and clear reception. The bathroom was huge with a beautiful granite tub (good enough to fit 2 adults) with an outdoor shower and separate toilet. They also have a walk-in closet too plus double sinks. My favorite part about all this is that for the 1st time ever, the hotel got the slippers and robes to match their guests. I travel with my partner and normally we get his and hers combo for our slippers and robes. This time around, they went more into the finer details and saw us as two women traveling as a couple. I cannot be more pleased to have slippers and robes that were not gigantic and which actually fit! After, our lunch was prepared for us and we had a delightful experience dining on our patio with the jungle beside us and the sound of water (from the indoor pond with lots of Koi fishes) and animals hidden in the forest. After a quick freshening up, we took the complimentary shuttle service the resort provides to Ubud Central where we spent the rest of the day shopping, dining and going for a foot massage. Arriving back in the evening, our room was prepared for the night. The mosquito net was let down and it hung like silk around the bed. The lights were on and our slippers positioned on the foot of our bed. They provided huge complimentary water bottles and we even had individual bottles on top of our beds for the evening. How thoughtful is that? Every night they also ensure to take down our breakfast preferences so they can have it ready where we want to eat it and what time we want to have it. This worked wonders as some of our tour schedules were very unusual like when we went up Mt. Batur. We arrived back in The Purist around 11AM after an 8-hour hike and you cannot imagine how grateful we were to have food waiting for us after having been up since 2AM. We also had 1 and half hour of SPA service and I can say it was one of the best I've ever had! The body scrub felt so good and a flower bath was prepared for me and my partner after the massage and scrub - a perfect way to end the last night of our trip! I also would like to share this incident when I fell off a bike during one of the cycling tours - I had a sprained wrist and cuts. My partner asked for Iodine and we got the whole first aid kit complete with plasters and cotton. A staff also went out of his way to buy us bandages in the middle of the night. What made the biggest impact on us is the service. This is the only time I can truly say that we were serviced from the heart. The management is top notch and we were even given the privilege to meet the owner of the resort. Mr. Alberto is such a cheerful, super-friendly and enchanting man that I felt the respect and love of the staff for him. Everyone in this resort was genuinely happy to be part of such an amazing team and they served with pride. The Purist is outstanding in all aspects.

My only regret is that we spent much of our time adventuring Ubud. I would have felt equally satisfied had I spent all my time inside this resort. I cannot get over how gorgeous the whole setting was and even though we did not have our own private pool, we only saw a couple in the common pool area one morning and it was empty the rest of the time. I guess everyone was just as content to be in their own private pool and villa.

To conclude, I just want to say that The Purist and its wonderful, wonderful staff all made my birthday celebration the best I've ever had. To add icing on the already delicious cake, on the night of my birthday almost all the butlers arrived with a cake and a complimentary bottle of wine from the owner. They sang me a happy birthday and made me blow candles on the cake. What a momentous occasion, to be celebrating it with amazing people who all went out of their way to ensure that we were given the best holiday one can ever hope for.

To everyone in the Purist - the butlers, the ever-prompt-behind-the-scenes-staff, the reception people (special mention to Oktri and Made) and to Mr. Alberto - you have just proven that class and luxury can indeed have warmth and charm in the heart of nature. Our biggest THANK YOU to all of you.

Room Tip: Each room offers a unique experience! You will not go wrong selecting any room here :)
8  Thank patsp
Reviewed 7 September 2012

The Purist villas in Ubud, Bali are out of this world. My wife and I stayed in the Bamboo villa, with its own private pool and private dining area and it far exceeded our expectations. Nothing was too much for this resort or the 5 butlers onhand day/night, food was amazing and the views out to the jungle from the main pool took our breath away. So sad to leave and will definitely return when back in Bali

Room Tip: Bamboo villa has a lovely pool with a waterfall at the end of it. Great to have breakfast on the out...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple