We got in after a 2 hour taxi drive from Jimbaran, where we stayed for one night after a late arrival in Denpasar. After having been in Jakarta for a 3-day business trip, the serenity of The Purist was great.
We weren't allowed to carry one of our own bags because and I quote: "It's your holiday sir". Service like this continued throughout our stay. Always with a smile, the butlers catered to our every need and were very friendly.
The villa was great. There's we were staying in the Jungle Villa which has lots of privacy, a great bathroom with stone bath, open shower and little fish in a pond (yes... in the bathroom). Also there's a spacious private deck with lounge bed and a stone-with-wood dining table. The villa's doors lead to the excellent shared pool (infinity style) and both the pool and the villa look out over the jungle. After a refreshing shower, we had lunch on the private deck.
It was my girlfriend's birthday (which the staff had figured out by themselves, without my letting them know) that day, so we decided to stay in for the night and have a romantic dinner. This is a special of the resort, $100-125 per couple. We came back from Ubud and were welcomed in the greatest of all surprises: flowers on the deck, followed by flower on the bed, followed by (open up the bathroom door) a flower bath. Incense in the rooms and on the deck. Just WONDERFUL! We first had a bath, after which our dinner was setup.
The dinner was amazing as well. A 4-course with choices between a European-style menu and a traditional Balinese menu. We opted for the latter and that was great!
During the night I got sick. According to my (medically skilled) girlfriend, it was a food infection, cause by something I ate a few days ago. I was in bed all day next day and the staff took care of me with special herbal tea and other niceties. All-in-all not a bed place to catch a little sickness in.
A few minor things that could be improved (not that it really bothered during this otherwise GREAT never to forget experience)
- the bed pillow are a bit on the hard side for our taste (note that we didn't bother to ask for softer ones, maybe they're around)
- all the toiletries are great, natural ingredients. The conditioner however can best be avoided if you have curly hair because it gets tangled
- the taxi drop to the airport is a bit pricey. We took a normal taxi from Jimbaran (further than the airport) which was about half the price
Don't let these minor things put you off by the way. In total, it's a great place!! We'd love to be back some day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located four minutes’ drive from Ubud centre, The Purist Villas is a design-inspired oasis of calm. A collection of seventeen unique and spacious luxury residences, villas, and suites, most with private swimming pools, complimented by an elevated wellness centre, poolside restaurant and lounge areas. Contemporary and Indonesian architecture has been thoughtfully combined, well-furnished, and styled with a large and valuable collection of fine textiles and Indonesian artefacts. Owner-designers Yvonne Hulst and Alberto Cortes, together with architect Joost van Grieken have created a most spectacular villa resort, a beautiful estate, in harmony with the landscape of the lush valley of the Tawar river. Featuring an eclectic palette of materials, including recycled wood, lava & limestone, green river stones, and authentic artefacts from years of traveling the Indonesian archipelago. Balisimo restaurant, situated poolside in the peaceful Purist environment, honours the slow food philosophy. Fresh, organic produce prepared by an experienced team of Chefs results in a collection of healthy and delicious seasonal menus. The devoted and well-trained team of dedicated Butlers are intuitive to guests needs, establishing the Purist villas excellent reputation for superior, attentive service. The Purist Spa offers a range of blissful Ayurvedic treatments and uses high-end Sensatia products; Ayurveda is the ancient Indian philosophy of healing and wellbeing, focusing on re-balancing energy. The Purist's meditation and yoga therapists are finely attuned to the practice of working with energy, having mastered the art of mindful touch. The Purist Villas have brought a new benchmark of luxury boutique villa resort accommodation to Ubud and should not be missed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TravelUp, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Travel Republic (UK), TripOnline SA, Agoda, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., LateRooms and getaroom.com so you can book your The Purist Villas and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Purist Villas Hotel Ubud
- The Purist Villas And Spa Ubud, Bali