“Kunang Kunang Guesthouse in Ubud, Bali”

Kunang-Kunang Guesthouse
Ranked #170 of 523 Ubud B&B and Inns
Metro Manila, Philippines
“Kunang Kunang Guesthouse in Ubud, Bali”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

The guesthouse is located in a good central location. It was just a walking distance to places were visitors wish to go. Staying in the guesthouse is worth the value of money. The staff were so friendly and helpful in providing assistance if asked. We were served with a pot of tea every morning and a simple breakfast served at the balcony while having a good view of the paddy field. It was such a peaceful stay.

Room Tip: Just ask the reception or the person on duty and they would gladly assist you with your preference.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Rye, Australia
Reviewed 26 May 2013

After reading many reviews on various accommodations in Bali, it astounds me that people are so 'precious' as to whine about 'had to ask for toilet paper', 'staff were not doing enough for me', 'bathroom was not spotless', etc etc. if you want 3/4/5 star service then pay for it! The Balinese are so very peaceful and calm, forgiving of our 'western' ways. If you want a small guest house where you will find a fresh pot of tea on your balcony each morning (and yes, the cups are not very clean), frangipani flowers adorning the staircase to your room and a smile every morning then book a stay at kunang kunang. When in Bali......... (oh and the food at Kafe just across the road is divine!)

• Stayed May 2013
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 March 2013

This was my third visit to Kunang Kunang, twice as a solo traveller and once with my 80 year old mother who loved the atmosphere here. I would highly recommend this quiet traditional guesthouse overlooking rice paddy fields, off the street in a good central location in Hanoman Street. It is in walking distance to Yoga Barn, Monkey Forest, Palace, shops and many good restaurants. Staff are quiet, friendly and helpful. Very reasonable price for rooms, both standard and superior, are clean and comfortable. There is no safe but a locked drawer in each room. The pool is smallish but clean and refreshing after a day out. Breakfast is adequate - a set menu that changes daily. Tours can be booked through the reception. Checkin/checkout is quick & easy. Try it, you won't be sorry. Good value for money! I will definitely be returning.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a ground level room if you cannot walk up stairs. Standard - large comfortabl...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I stayed at kunang kunang with a group of friends early 2012. It was simple, clean and the staff were very friendly. I especially loved the structure, its not a big space, but i really enjoyed it and if ever I make it to Bali again, I will definitely stay there again.
They served us a traditional Indonesian breakfast which i was skeptical at first but it was absolutely delicious.

All in all, if you are looking for EXTREME luxury, you may be disappointed but I was very very happy with it.

Room Tip: It is very warm and humid so if you don't enjoy those conditions, insist on a room with air cond...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank abottelberge
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I had booked for two nights, but when I arrived was not happy with the room (or atmosphere of the hotel).
There was nothing particularly wrong with the room...I am a budget traveller and for the price the room was okay but it was small and stifling even with the fan whizzing...it was also on the third level up many stairs. I asked if there were other rooms on a lower level and was told that the hotel was totally full and many people come off the street looking for a room. The male staff member was quite unfriendly with a "like it or lump it" attitude.
I pondered whether to just suffer my two nights there...and went for a walk to my usual haunt Wahyu Bungalows on Dewa Sita Street. They had my favourite room free so I returned to Kunang for my luggage.
The second male staffer at Kunang (who was quite scary) was furious and aggressive when I told him I was leaving and was yelling at me incoherently so I just went straight to the room to collect my suitcase. I was prepared to pay them for the inconvenience...and for the 30 minutes my suitcase sat in the untouched room. But when no-one even helped me with my suitcase added to his unreasonable manner I found myself just apologising as I handed back the key and headed quickly away. It wasn't even 1pm and if what he told me was true, then someone would have come off the street soon looking for a room and they would be no worse off.
Maybe I didn't give it a chance...but the photos on the web show it to be much better than it is (it's always nicer when it is the reverse).
Basically there are much better places for the price...like the lovely Wahyu bungalows with friendly professional staff and a huge room by the pool (for less too!)

Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank DebbieDenmarkWA

Travellers are raving about these Ubud hotels

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 22 January 2013

We stayed a couple of nights at Kunang Kunang. The location is great: Jl. Hanoman overlooking the rice paddies so you're in Central Ubud without the "street noise". We booked the superior room, which not really feel superior. It had almost everything you'd expect (except a safe) but it just didn't feel superior. The A/C worked perfectly and we used the normal fan at night. They did not give us new toilet paper after cleaning the room. This happened every single day, which struck us as weird. We had to ask for it.

The pool is nicely situated, not to big but there's no need for a big pool. The complimentary breakfast is not much, but it sure is original. We had something different, which was a really nice touch. Don't expect a big buffet though: tea or coffee, fresh fruit and the freshly made special thingie.

THe thing we didn't really like was the man who ran the show. We felt that he was really pushy and constantly trying to sell you trips and everything. We didn't get a good vibe off him. We told him that we were thinking about hiking up Mt Batur. The next day he told us that he booked a trip for us, even though we didn't tell him to book it. We weren't even sure about the day we wanted to go hiking. When booked a cycling trip to Jatiluwih through Ubud Explorer (great company) we even got sort of mad after he asked us if we booked it yet. After this, we felt that we were less welcome. The other staff was constantly hanging around the reception area. They all looked like bored local youth which ave us an uneasy feeling every time we walked past them,

All in all a decent place to stay, but the staff gave us an unpleasant feeling. We would probably stay somewhere else the next time because of this.

Room Tip: Go for the rice paddie view on the upper level if you choose the superior room!
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vincent H
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I stayed in a Superior Room for 10 days and would definitely go back if I were to be in Ubud for another extended stay. Rooms were large and cleaned every day. The pool is small but it was never crowded. It is set along side rice paddy fields and because it was not directly on the main road, nights were nice and quiet.

The location is very convenient to the main road (Jalan Raya Ubud/Japan Campuhan) and the other way (Coco supermarket further down Hanoman). I walked everywhere from the guesthouse and if I wanted to hire a moto taxi, one of the staff was always around to take me and I paid them whatever i wanted (ie they never demanded anything).

There is also a small convenience store at the entrance from Jalan Hanoman where you can buy your bottled water (or the in-house restaurant) and theres also a 24hr convenience store close by.

I stayed at another place on Monkey Forest Road and I definitely preferred Jalan Hanoman - there are better restaurants (directly across the road from Kafe and very close to Atman) and a less hectic feel (in the evenings).

Room Tip: I stayed in a few rooms, my favourite was a superior room on the ground floor facing the rice paddy...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo