Villa Santai
US$676
US$553
US$722
US$615
All reviewsspring rollsthe riverinfinity pooldriverjunglevillanaturebali
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I have been to many beautiful and amazing places in the world, but I have never had so much trouble leaving as I did Villa Santai. From the moment the driver, Wayan ha, picks you up at the airport you know you made the right decision. Stopping along the way to sample some local fare and grab some drinks for the ride to Ubud was a must and not a problem for Wayan. My wife and I along with another couple friend of ours had just made the best decision of the new year. Arriving at the Villa is nothing short of breath taking. I did know whether I should get a drink, take a swim, take pictures, sit down and attempt to understand how I got to this point in life, or just focus on not passing out. Luckily, I had time to do all of it and more. Quick dip in the pool with a frosty Bintang only to find myself walking around the grounds in amazement a short time later. I think at one point I forgot that I came with other people. I was in a trance, or it could have been the Bintang. The people, ohhhh the people, at the Villa go ABOVE AND BEYOND anything you could expect. From our day trips to dinner and breakfast there was never a sense of disappointment. THEY PACKED A COOLER WITH BINTANG AND WATER FOR OUR DAY TRIP AND WE DIDN'T EVEN HAVE TO ASK :)

I would say, for those seriously considering a trip to Bali and something in the price range of Villa Santai do not hesitate. Book now, book it twice! I cannot imagine how you could be disappointed. OOHHHH, and sleep in the suite on the river side for more of a cooler room and nicer sound. I could go on and on, but it is not conducive to my withdraw symptoms from Villa Santai and Bali in general.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank josephk82
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Words really cant describe the wonderful experience we enjoyed over our short holiday here at Villa Santai. From the moment you travel into the jungle towards the villa you realize that you will be receiving more than you ever bargained for.

The Villa:
Amazing! Absolutely breath taking and peaceful. The villa is nestled away from the road leading into the property with beautiful stone designs that accent the surroundings of the jungle. After the staff meets you with open arms you step onto the top level and are blown away at the scene that is encompassed around you. You can see through the valley that has a rushing river below and you feel as if you really just died and went to heaven. The villa's seating and relaxation areas are open and inviting, almost as if no area is better than another area. The infinity pool really adds to your experience and offers you a great view into the jungle's valley. The tones of the villa makes your mind as ease with the wood floors and sand stone tiles.

The Rooms:
One of the best parts about this villa is the open air rooms. Going to sleep was never hard because of the beautiful sound of the river and the chirping of crickets and frogs. Waking up was even better because your mind is in complete harmony with nature. Looking off the balcony you can see the gorilla mist rising up from the river as swallows play in the sky. The arrangement of the rooms was very nice and peaceful. The beds were very comfortable and easy to keep laying in. I honestly think these are the most peaceful rooms I have ever stayed in.

The Staff:
You could not have asked for a better staff. Everyone of them was super nice and would do anything to make your stay better. They were always ready to help and never shy ensure you had everything you needed. While enjoying my time here they were always there exactly when you needed them but always quietly in the background as if they were not here.

The Food:
The chef did a great job making some traditional Balinese dishes that were out of this world. Flavorful and well presented, I would eat anything he suggested.

Overall I am highly impressed with this villa and what they offer. Having lived overseas for 10 years and going to almost anyplace you can imagine this trip by far was the best and it hurts me to leave. Save yourself some time and come to Villa Santai, it will be the best decision you have ever made.

Room Tip: All the rooms offer the sound of the river below however the front ones would be better to stay in.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MrHomeless
Reviewed 31 January 2013

Ten of us (including children ages three and five) recently stayed at this oasis of calm and beauty, which is located just outside central Ubud.The entire staff was friendly and most accommodating. Dedy, the driver, who was available to take us on various sightseeing adventures,proved to be a fount of information, and Made, the manager, ensured that everything ran smoothly, The cooks prepared delicious fresh fruit drinks and Balinese-inspired dishes, as well as banana pancakes for the children.This spotless villa has four separate bedrooms, each with its own changing room and well-appointed bathrooms downstairs, and a large open-air area above, with a dining table, bar and several sitting spots, as well as an infinity-edge pool overlooking a jungle ravine. We would highly recommend Villa Santai for a perfect getaway.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank marshalutchlloyd
Reviewed 11 October 2012

We, a family or two adults and three kids, recently spent 3 days at the villa.

What a beautiful spot. The villa overlooks a valley, with the sounds of the river in the background. Swallows zip in and around the villa, although surprisingly little other birdlife. The photos on tripadviser tell the story. 4 large rooms are downstairs. Each come with en suites and very large walk in robes. The living area surrounds the pool and there are also two other undercover pavilions.

The one gripe I would have though is the lounge furniture. It is just not up to the standard required for such a villa. Please get rid of what is really just outdoor furniture dressed up as a lounge. Replace it with a large comfortable one ASAP. What a difference this would make.

Apart from that we had a very relaxing time. We did do the Bali on bike trip one day, and also made the quick trip into ubud town to walk the main road and visit the monkey forest. But the vibe in this villa is a lot different to that of seminyak (or leggian etc...). Peace and quiet.

With regards to the standard of food served at the villa - I would have to say we were a bit disappointed. Breakfasts were really good. We only had lunch on one day and the BLT's were fine. But the Indonesian or Asian inspired dishes for dinner were not the best. As a result we reverted to of all things burgers at night. They were really good though. Having said that we would have preferred local dishes. The lunch at the end of our Bali on Bike tour were amazing though!! Hint!

All up a beautiful and peaceful villa with staff that were very much in the background so you could enjoy the serenity. The villa was spotless and the daily cleaning was done without you even knowing.

Room Tip: Two front rooms, though you don't spend much time in the rooms
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Goldlox1969
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Absolutely amazing week in Villa Santai, we wish we could have stayed there longer. Everything was simply exceptional. The staff are awesome, so friendly and welcoming, making you feel like it’s your home for a brief moment in time. You are far enough away from the busy tourist areas that it’s like your own little oasis in the rice fields with an unobstructed view of the valley below. You can easily spend your days lazing around the villa without any need to venture into Ubud, but if you do it’s only a short 10min drive…by the villa driver of course. The highlight of the stay was the small cooking class we had with the staff, we felt so special to have our own local introduction to some super tasty local food. It’s rare that we find something worth going back to, but we’ll be back to Villa Santai…thanks to all the staff for the amazing week.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family