“Great find”

Ranked #366 of 529 Ubud B&B and Inns
Hampshire
“Great find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2011

Lovely homestay in a central location on Hanoman street. Basic but clean rooms including a nice breakfast and very cheap too. The staff are very friendly and extremley helpful. There is one guy that speaks very good English and he arranged all of my tours for me and my bus and boat to Lombok. It is also just off the main road so you don't get the traffic noise. They also woke me up at 6 in the morning to catch my bus as my alarm clock had broken. lovely people.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Leigh K

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

If you are looking for budget that is clean, has an excellent, central location and also has super friendly service, this place is it. The people that run it are always available to help out in any way and are extremely helpful in recommending whatever various things you might like to do during your stay. Yummy breakfast is included too. I will be back!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank pollkat
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

We stayed at Brata 1 about 2 weeks all up and loved it. Its set in a very pretty garden and the rooms are clean, bright and airy. Yande and Ketut and all the staff are super friendly and super helpful. Ketut makes the best coffee on the island!! Yande is REALLY helpful smoothing out any hassles you may encounter. They all made us very welcome. We'll stay there any time we go back to Ubud and will tell everyone else too as well.

Room Tip: Downstairs have garden surrounds while upstairs have balcony and some have paddy view.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bessie2790
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2011

We stayed here for 11 nights. The room we is on the second floor and it had has two balconies. One facing the rice padi fields (very nice view) and the other one facing the guest-house courtyard. The room was airy and the temperature was somewhere between 24 - 26 degree Celsius during the day. It has a big bathroom with hot and cold shower, basin, sitting toilet, hose, and there's a bucket to do some laundry washing. It was quiet and has a big enough room space for me to do some stretching everyday. Just one thing that I personally don't like was the bed is a bit too soft and the pillow is a bit too high, for me. But they gave us a better pillow after we complaint about it. Anyway, the bed sheet and blanket and the entire place were very clean. They will clean the room whenever you ask them. So far during our entire stay, there wasn't any mosquitoes nor fleas which is very good for a budget guest-house in the centre of Ubud in Hanoman Street. Overall this is a very nice budget stay in Ubud. I would recommend it to any budget travelers who want a simple, clean, spacious, mosquitoes free and quiet place to stay, with attached bathroom and hot shower. They only have 5 rooms available (which means it won't be too crowded). Our room was 150,000 IDR (15 USD) per night for 2 people with simple breakfast included (Fresh cut fruit, toast and very good Balinese coffee or tea) and brought to your room when you are ready for it.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wintermelon
Mandurah, W.A.6210
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2011

Central, good food, nearby restaurants, treated like family, watched the world cup soccer matches, with the crew. Staff were great., would have written this earlier , but did not have Internet.

Room Tip: All good rooms, also Bratta2 , was good.
  • Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2011

Forgot to review this after I left so about a year late - sorry! I stayed during Bali Spirit Festival which was a very busy time in Ubud but they managed to accommodate me. Yande and Ketut were always very helpful, making yummy breakfasts, giving me good info, and helping to look after me when I got Bali belly and also fell over and cut my leg!
The place is clean and good value for money, with hot water and a nice peaceful surrounding. And very close to Kafe - probably the best restaurant in Ubud.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank froglin81
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2011

I think we really stayed at the wrong place. We experienced nothing like what was described below.

1. Paddy field views - the main reason why I chose Brata 1 is because there are supposedly rooms with nice paddy field views. But we got a room with no view.
2. I was informed that it's Rp170,000 but it's actually Rp 200,000. No view and I had to pay extra simple because it's bigger.
3. No breakfast :(
4. We couldn't sleep all night...felt very uneasy. Maybe it's just us, since everyone seemed to have a good rest :( Perhaps it's our imagination but we thought we saw the cupboard door opened by itself.

The reason why I gave 3 stars is because Yande and the other person (forgot his name, Hero's owner) are very nice. Location was good as well. And yea, Hero is the dog, very friendly.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
brata_1_homestay, Manager at Brata 1 Guesthouse, responded to this review, 24 February 2011
Dear Ms huh

First of all thank you for your comment although we don't understand about your complaints. we want to make this clear,
about the view, we have a paddy rooms and if you want to have the better thing of course you must pay more expensive, it is why the rooms with paddy views is more expensive with other rooms.
We believe what you said with no breakfast was totally wrong, we had prize Rp 200.000 but you want Rp 170.000, it is why we made it flexible especial to you because you already come, we gave room Rp 170.000 but no breakfast.
You did not sleep well because we thought you still angry that time, so you keep angry until night, about the cupboard open by itself, We believe, we have hiero so if there was something wrong he must be bark at that time, so no need to worry.
By the way, please if you have complaints please complaint with us in that time so we can repair it soon and also we will have better service to you and our others guests.
NB, the hiero's owner boss name is agus.

With big smile from Ubud :)
Brata 1 homestay's manager