“Highly Recommended”

Ranked #383 of 592 Ubud B&B and Inns
Bangkok, Thailand
“Highly Recommended”
Reviewed 2 July 2012

Brata 1 is a serene and graceful place to stay in Ubud. It is set in a family compound of a Padang Tegal intellectual family. It lies in a superb location with lovely garden and art works.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Reviewed 30 April 2012 via mobile

Clean and quiet but i left with an unpleasant feeling because of several incidents which showed me that they just try to sqeeze money out of you and friendlyness is just related to money. Greedy i would say and i just dont like getting that energy from people. The family is cold and doesnt want to get in touch with the guests. Fair enough..... I was sick when I arrived with fever and asked the next evening when i was still unwell if i could call the clinc. I could not make a call and instead the son or son in law said i should see his wife which he said is a doctor. I felt so sick and feverish that i went to bed. She came some hours later and woke me up out of a deep sleep. I had already taken some medicine. She had a brief chat wiith me checked blood pressure and i went back to bed. A day later i moved out because some other little things which i did not like. I stayed in touch with their manager Yande who is a friendly person but has already taken on some of that 'get money out of the tourist' energy. He took me some days later to a healer and that man ripped of tourists and charged them 300.000 for a 5 minute session. I went away because my common sense and my feeling said: get out of here. I work as a practitioner myself and have met many healers and shamans from all over the world. after getting back to brata 1 where Yande tried to talk me into doing a tour (they needed one more person) the son suddenly came and started talking funny and the end of the story was that after some days they had decided to charge me for the 2 minute chat with his doctor wife. I paid - of course - but that ugly feeling of being ripped of stayed. Thank God there are many other places in Ubud. I moved in with a true healer and his family which is very warm hearted and has integrity. Everybody has to make a living, and i am happy to pay for good service. But all together that just felt wrong and I would not recommend the place at all. Specially not after i experienced waht you can get for paying way less

• Stayed April 2012
brata_1_homestay, Owner at Brata 1 Guesthouse, responded to this review, 12 January 2013
Dear Customer.

I don't want to write a response to your review firstly but some of our guests in my accommodation told me to do so because it's an unbalance review in their perspective.

Let's make it's clear.

First of all, about the healer, we (Brata 1 Homestay) believe you're lucky if the healer (Ketut Lyyer) just charged you with I can say it's very cheap comparing his reputation. We believe that you understand you visited one of the best shaman in the town.
As your information, A lot of guests want to meet him especially after the Eat Pray Love movie and you could meet him just because the healer is my grand father best friend so he knows us and our staff then giving some minutes to you for consultation.

Next, about my wife charge. I already asked you that when you wanted to go to clinics around Ubud, It's very expensive. They can charge you even much more expensive than our prize.Then, you agreed to my suggestion to tell my wife as a general practitioner for checking your condition. We tried to help you so I told my wife to checked you quickly to make sure there were not any danger disease in your body because at that time you'd got very bad viper.
As your information again, my wife used to work as a general practitioner doctor in one clinic in Ubud so she knows for sure how expensive does it cost. We tried to help you for not paying an expensive medical bill because you're our guest

We ( Brata 1 Homestay) again really hope that you understood that we tried to help and gave the best services to you.

To sum up, what we did just we helped you to meet the Healer and bend a very expensive prize to go to Clinic. We're very sorry that if you didn't like those condition but really one again it's not expensive prize it's very cheap prize.

Finally, we really look forward to contact you before hand or you contact us to make the situation really clear because what we believe that this situation only misunderstood between us.

Thank you for your comment and stay with us
Warm greetings from Ubud, Bali.
Brata 1 Homestay owner and manager

Agus Brata
Mandurah, W.A.6210
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Review ,same as last time, concur with theother two reviewers, except for the comment about hot water never had that problem at all.I was stupid enough to leave my wallet on the table outside my room, with credit card and 1 million Rupiahs in it, by the time I realized I had lost it ,it was taken by YANDE to my next place of call!!!! How was that for service and honesty. Look for my next visit and also for conversations with Agus- Putu.

Room Tip: Preferred the ground floor room No 2. Top one was ok too, Good view of rice paddy. No problems. Staf...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Brata 1 Homestay is a great place for you to discover Balinese's cultural and rural life. You are in fact staying with owner's family in their house. Brata family is very helpful and friendly. I spent my Nyepi day of 2012 in this homestay and I had a great and unforgettable experience of Balinese cultural. Brata family never hesitate to share with me the stories of Nyepi and their cultural.

The room is tidy and clean. Anyway, you cannot expect 5-star hotel facilities here. For me, hot water shower and WiFi access in my room can fulfil my daily living requirement. You have to prepare your own toothpaste, shampoo and soap since they are not providing any bathroom utilities other than a towel and toilet roll. On my first night there, I checked-in quite late; all grocery stores were closed and I travelled without bathroom travel pack. Brata's family provided me some mini-pack of shampoo, soap and disposable tooth brush set. I felt so warm and grateful. Their hospitality made me felt I was home (or at least feel like staying in the home of a friend of mine).

I will definitely be back to Brata 1 homestay for a longer retreat. Highly recommended to you too if you are looking for this kind of holiday instead of the luxury one.

Room Tip: There are only 5 rooms in Brata 1 Homestay, so reserve as early as possible to avoid disappointment...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
siem reap
Reviewed 19 March 2012

My friend and I stumbled upon this place after the guesthouse we had pre-booked didn't have the twin beds like it said it would. We're so glad we did. Breakfast was good, the room was a good size and it's in a great location. My bed had a few ants on it the first two nights but they didn't bother me during the night and they seemed to have gotten bored after the first two days cause I didn't see any crawling around the next two days. Despite that though, I would definitely stay here again if I were to go back to Ubud. The staff is really friendly too:) We bargained down to 120,000 Rupiah/night which was perfect for us.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 18 March 2012

This was my first visit in Bali and Ubud. A friend recommended Brata 1. With a pickup at the airport it was a convienient and fast way without problem to arrive. The Brata 1 is a very nice place to stay, even do there wasn´t any hot water in the shover. The staff is very friendly and helpful and it is a beautiful place. A thing that we where missing was mosquitonet over the bed.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Stockholm, Stockholms Län, Sweden
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Brata is a really nice place to stay! The staff is very friendly and after a while it feels like they are your family. And they love to help you. The rooms are clean and nice with hot water. It's also free wifi and they have free breakfast! If you go to Ubud I really recommend this place.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends