All reviewsheaven and earththe rivermonkeys playing in the treesinfinity poolevery morningfire fliesshort driverice paddiesclose to naturemagical placethe hustle and bustleour honeymoona wonderful stayfree shuttlejunglevilladriver
Reviewed 24 August 2010

Sadly, the romantic views on the internet do not convey the depressing dark rooms, hard beds, tired linen, smelly constantly blocked drains, lack of water and poor service.
This Villa sleeping 8 is by far the worst accommodation in this complex which boasts two other superb looking Villas.
The downstairs shower attachment is designed for a five yr old, adults can not stand under it, the mosquito nets were dusty and dirty. 8 of us spend 3 weeks here; 4 left early.

I understand that there are plans to increase capacity at Awang Awang; I implore the owners to spend a night in each of those rooms before putting paying guests in them.
Overall we found there was lack of attention to detail and poor service.The rental fee (for a luxury villa) is much too high for what was on offer. My fourth and worst stay in Bali. My 50th present indeed!!!!

3  Thank Mia040
anila1, Manager at Villa Awang Awang, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2012

The staff and I were very disappointed to read your review . I was particularly upset as we had been in constant e-mail contact before you arrived but you did not contact me until more than one week after your departure to air your complaints .I find it very surprising that you stayed for a whole month ( apart from 4 days in the middle when the villa was previously booked) without discussing any of your concerns with myself or our manager . We do not agree that the rooms are dark and depressing.Apart from one upstairs bedroom , all the bedrooms have floor to ceiling sliding glass doors along with other windows and are filled with natural light .The living areas are open to nature and sunlight .The four guests that you write left early told the staff they had to return to work and no mention was made of any dissatisfaction from their side
You may have liked to mention the hefty discount you received due to the length of stay or thank us for arranging alternative accommodation for you when you turned up one day too early to resume your stay . Perhaps you could also have acknowledged the staff member who had to start work two hours before their usual time in order to drive you to very early yoga classes.On more than one occasion you also borrowed the villa car , at no cost, to drive yourselves to class.One can only speculate as to the motive behind such a negative review.

Reviewed 20 August 2010

We were five women on a girls only holiday, leaving the husbands and kids at home we went looking for a little bit of magic in Ubud and we found it at Villa Awang awang.

This trip we wanted to be spoilt , feel a little special and surround ourselves with the energy and beauty that is Ubud.

When I first walked into the villa I just thought wow! it's exactly like the photos.

We spent five nights in the main villa which has four bedrooms, it is completely private and you can only see the other villa from the very edge of the infinity pool.

Three of the bedrooms have queen beds and these all have stunning views of the valley through big glass sliding doors. There is one twin room at the back and it is a little dark with no view except of the garden through the side windows.

We timed the drive into Ubud and it was exactly 10mins the days we drove into town, food at the villa was delicious, staff delightful, the whole experience was divine.

We looked for monkeys every day and had almost given up, but on our last night we saw them across the valley and they came back the next morning. We also saw fireflies in the garden at night and butterflies, dragonflies and colourful birds during the day.

The pool had sun all afternoon, I don't like cold water and often don't swim everyday when I'm in Ubud but the water was perfect, the pool is so gorgeous that it's hard to resist morning, noon or night!!

Villa Awang Awang is not a five star hotel with shiny glass, stainless steel and doors that shut out everything, so if that's what you are after stay away. This villa is so much more than that, it is the rare type of place you find that lets you truly experience the soul of Bali, it almost feels as though the villa grew where it stands, so solid and as beautiful as the valley it sits on.

I've been travelling to Ubud for close to thirty years and stayed in some amazing hotels, staying here is one of the best experiences I've had, we had a perfect five nights and feel grateful that we discovered this magical villa.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tannalee
Reviewed 10 August 2010

Our family of 4 had an outstanding stay in Ubud at Awang Awang. The view, the pool and rooms were perfect. the villa is located about 5 minutes from town and the friendly staff will drive you there and back everyday. In fact the staff were more than friendly, they were outstanding. We have been to Bali many times and Awang Awang is up there with the best.

Reviewed 28 July 2010

Villa Awang Awang

Beautiful View but Hard Bed

The villa is set is a beautiful location fifteen minutes from Ubud. We had the two bedroom villa which overlooks the rainforest and the river. It is a tranquil and lovely view. There are lots of birds, and according to the guest comments, occasional monkeys to be seen. The staff were very helpful and the breakfast was very good.

Unfortunately, for me, the experience was somewhat spoiled by a bed which was just too hard for me to sleep well. There were also some minor problems with the infrastructure. The TV was not working (the provider apparently had become bankrupt) and the internet only worked on the second day. We also had to wait for hot water on the second day as the gas had run out.. Perhaps we were just unlucky and to be fair there was a huge storm and very heavy downpours of rain which may have affected things. I was not too worried by the TV or internet as one does not come to Bali for these things and there were many compensating features. The staff took my nieces 'tyre riding' in the river and the manager allowed us a very late check out for no extra charge.

The villas have some lovely features and the staff were wonderful. On my package there was an unexpected but welcome transfer back to the airport in Denpasar and for someone who mainly wants to enjoy a lovely view, natural surroundings, a beautiful environment and a small private pool and who likes a very firm bed, it may just be perfect. If you like a medium or soft bed and a feather down pillow, and the views and natural environment are less important, choose somewhere else.

1  Thank oliverAustralia
anila1, Owner at Villa Awang Awang, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2010

We are sorry that you found the mattress uncomfortable. Some of our guests prefer a firm mattress. We have installed a luxurious softer spring mattress with pillow top so that guests now have a choice between a firm or softer mattress .

Reviewed 17 July 2010

Villa Awang Awang is now top of my list of places to go back to. It is truely a little slice of paradise.Nestled in a beautiful rainforest the scenery is breathtaking and ever changing. Dont bring a book...you wont read it because your eyes will always be drawn to the incredible views. What made our stay at Villa Awang Awang really special was the beautiful staff. They were so helpful and generous with their time. Nothing seemed too much trouble. From the beautiful cooking to the healing massages eveything was just perfect. The walk down to the river was a highlight. I now spend all my time daydreaming about this amazing place and plotting ways of getting back there soon.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple