All reviewsheaven and earththe rivermonkeys playing in the treesinfinity poolevery morningfire fliesshort driverice paddiesclose to naturemagical placethe hustle and bustleour honeymoona wonderful stayfree shuttlejunglevilladriver
Reviewed 10 December 2010

I am a Yoga teacher, and having had given a course in Ubud which of course included allot of shopping and as well as Yoga, so after that was over I was looking for a place where I could escape to the real Bali, where the village life is still alive and there are monkeys in the trees and you can hear the sounds of the magnificent rivers. Well this dream this paradise I found at Villa Beji the sister villa at Awang Awang. With a private pool and lots of space to get comfortable my friends and I really did not want to leave! I also own the Waterfall villas in Costa Rica, and I am the most picky person for details you can imagine - so this is saying allot that I was really happy at Beji.

The cooks made us a magnificent meal, but you will need to go very slow with your instructions and explain the quantity of food carefully; that was my only regret that I had not not explained to make enough, this and so we did not get enough of the scrumptious meal they provided. I am a cook too - so I ordered something completely off the menu, I must add and they did a fabulous job.

I would love to come back again to Beji, located just 10 minutes from Ubud, so close and yet so intimate and beautiful!

Love Fateh

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 November 2010

This is simply the most special place I've ever stayed in Bali . There was 5 of us each of us having our own special bedroom (my husband and I sharing the master).

From the moment you walk thru the beautiful entrance you know you're in a special space, and as you continue, it keeps delighting you. From the beautiful fish ponds at the entrance to the pool at the lower level, and everything in between and what an outlook! Each evening we would sit and watch the sun disappear and then the beautiful moon appear and wait for the fire flies to do their dance.

We loved the furniture and art work - all traditional and beautiful, the kind of space you want to be in when in Bali - not a shiny "could be anywhere in the world" space. I especially loved the framed antique shadow puppets on the walls.

We ate in villa first night and the food was fine and NOT expensive, breakfast did get "samy" but the staff asked us if we wanted anything different and we just never got around to telling them if we wanted a change - I'm sure if we had made a point of it they would have accommodated us.
The highlight was the villa BBQ we had for my son's birthday - the food was simply superb - pork ribs to die for. The staff decorated the dining area and organised a cake for us - which was soooo yummy. They greeted him with singing "happy birthday" and lit candles - a lovely touch.
That brings me to the staff - all so lovely, but a special mention about Agung - what a lovely gentle man and a very competent manager (hansome too!), Ann you've got a good one there.

On the second day I had a bit of a medical emergency and noted from the villa file that there was a 24hr Doctor service, my son went to the office and asked the staff to send for the Dr. They arrived within 25 minutes! A lovely gentle doctor and his male nurse arrived, he was very competent and thorough and I felt very safe and well cared for. I was expecting the cost to be over the top but was in fact half the cost of another time I needed a doctor a couple of trips ago in Kuta.

There are only a couple of very small things that could have been better - the kitchen was not very user friendly - stove hard to light for making a cup of tea, toaster didn't want to work but I realise you've just moved the kitchen and are probably in the process of improving it. Also the pool got a little greener and slimier with each day, I know the rains make it a bit murky but didn't feel comfortable swimming in it on last couple of days. Just felt it would have been good to be vaccuumed each day - these are minor things and all the big pluses far outway these little minuses.

This is a great Villa especially if you want to have more of a "real Bali" experience. Being located in the village - one day seeing the staff in the villa and next day seeing them in the street with their family is a lovely experience - you feel privileged to be part of it - at least I did anyway. Thankyou Ann the experience was a treat.
Brigid and Greg

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Having stayed at the gorgeous but inexpensive Alam Jiwa prior to arriving at the villa Awangawang we were expecting something special. The location was special and removed from the bustle of Ubud and the staff were fantastic.

The downside: Breakfast was rather boring and uninspired. The first day we were expecting something akin to the variety we had at the Alam Jiwa - instead we got dilute cordial orange (rather than the fresh juice of your choice on the menu), the bread was pretty terrible white/brown and not wholemeal, the bacon was cooked to a crisp.

The Dinner menu was overpriced too.

The villa itself appeared in need of a little love and attention and the furniture was also in need of replacing.

One of the reasons we picked the Villa was for the space for the kids to runaround - and also for the DVD and TV for the evenings. On day 1 the DVD player broke. We immediately advised the manager and......it took 5 days before we got a replacement. Would have been much easier for the adults if they had fixed it on day 2 as the children had all purchased DVD's from Ubud.

The Villa allegedly has a high speed internet connection and laptop. Reality: the laptop has the processing power of a calculator and it took forever simply loading the Google search page...very frustrating.

In Summary, the Villa fell short for the cost in my opinion. It was over twice as expensive as the Alam Jiwa but was nowhere as nice.

We all wished we had stayed at the Alam Jiwa the entire trip.

I had hoped for much more but was disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank dtwmstewart
anila1, Owner at Villa Awang Awang, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2010

Thank-you for relating your personal experience at the villa . I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed in your stay and sincerely regret that the DVD player was not able to be replaced earlier.As this was your first visit to Bali I would like to respond to some of your comments.
I can assure you that the villa and dinner menu is competitively priced , the rate being even somewhat lower than comparable villas.Your nightly rate equated to $43 per person ( for 8 guests ) including taxes. As the listed rates for the hotel you mention range between $37 and $50 per person plus taxes ,I am at a loss to understand how it can be said that our villa was " twice the price "
Regarding the internet connection- despite paying expensive rates for high speed connection ,even with the latest hardware, speeds are much less than you are used to in Australia. I agree , very frustrating , but common throughout Bali and not specific to our villa .
As you mention yourself , our staff are fantastic and always genuinely eager to please .If you had requested different bread or bacon less cooked , they would have been more than happy to oblige . We have in the past provided for vegans , vegetarian and gluten sensitive guests - whatever was requested. All our staff are from the local village which we support . They do their best to accommodate guests from many countries with varying customs , languages and meal preferences . Sometimes it is difficult to " get it right " unless the guests tell them what is required . I apologize for the first morning when for some inexplicable reason you were served reconstituted orange juice . As you mentioned to me , this was rectified and fresh juices supplied for the rest of your stay as is our usual practice .Thank-you once again for your comments- we always welcome the opportunty to rectify any shortcomings which guests bring to our attention .

Reviewed 11 October 2010

We couldn't find fault with our villa... The staff were very friendly and helpful and the location was superb, the best we have encountered in a total of six holidays in Bali... We have decided that the private villa experience is really the only way to enjoy Bali, and we will definitely be returning to Villa Awang Awang/Villa Beiji sometime in the near future.
Our thanks and best wishes to Ann for all her help in making sure we had a wonderful holiday, the memories of which we will always treasure.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 October 2010

This really is a truly special place. The birds chirping, the wind rustling the leaves, the sound of the water below. The villa is well-appointed and comfortable and the architecture is quite integrated into the natural scenery and the local village.

My partner and I stayed for 3 nights, 4 days and had the most relaxing time with friends in Villa Beji. The staff and owners help to create an authentic experience-- we had a list of suggested things to do and see locally besides going into Ubud. Every morning we took walks down the road and were greeted by friendly villagers and children going about their daily life. The location is within a small village and we had the opportunity to attend a ceremony.

What makes Awang Awang a special place is in all of the small details -- friendly staff, the villager putting the offerings around the villa each morning, the sounds of music playing, the fresh juices in the morning. Bali is a special place and I will come back to stay at Awang Awang.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple