“Keep Coming Back” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #358 of 512 Ubud B&B and Inns
byron bay
“Keep Coming Back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

Taman Indrakila is a place that I love and keep coming back to,its simplicity and tranquility is always just what I need.
The owners and staff are beautiful people so willing to give of themselves,the view is always amazing I just love watching the sunrise behind the palm tree each morning.
Upgrading and maintaining a property like this doesn't come cheap,this family is doing their best to keep their family business going.
I will always return for the peace and beauty that this gem from the past has to offer.

Room Tip: All rooms on the main walkway have an amazing view
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank minkie007

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
indonesia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

Location, location, location on the ravine side of Jalan Raya Sanggingan (great restaurants, boutiques, hikes, etc, on the outskirts of Ubud proper). Very pleasant garden and most of the bungalows have great views.

Some of the rooms have been remodeled and some have ancient, poor furniture. Some of the rooms are totally open to the elements (open transoms) which let in all kinds of bugs... and some of the rooms are sealed. The bathroom was very very grubby with spider webs within easy reach of a feather duster (none used) and I kept wondering why the floor just never got cleaned... finally saw that the cleaner just brings in a bucket of slop (probably the first floor he mops gets clean, but progressive rooms get everyone else's dirt swished around). The place is damp mopped and not even dried. Oh, man! I don't think our towels were dry all week (it was a rainy week, with humidity, but still they could have changed them).

Breakfast also very scant considering how generous most Ubud breakfasts are. Free wifi in restaurant and some of the rooms close by.

Good that the beds had mosquito nets, and everyone gets a small verandah. But the walls were thin on the split units and we could hear everything the two middle aged Australian yakkers next door were discussing from 6 am onwards.

Nice to have Bintang supermarket a couple of minutes walk down the hill. And there are other places nearby to enjoy breakfast (like Ananda Cottages) if you can't deal with the skimpy one on offer here.

Not worth the internet price.

Room Tip: Avoid room 6
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank queen_of_expats

Travellers are raving about these Ubud hotels

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

I chose to stay in Ubud for my return visit to Bali and Taman Indrakila was introduced to me by an associate who claims that this place is truly worth an experience. Well, every experience carries 2 sides of a story. For those of us who are looking for a quiet and tranquil place to stay which is value for money, Taman Indrakila may be an excellent choice. Especially for those of us who live in cities, leading bustling lives, it is a major shift in terms of awareness when one retreats into the stunning beauty of mother nature. Every morning and every night, you would find yourself being embraced deeply by the arms of beautiful greenery and cool refreshing air. Hot tea is being served every morning. From time to time, as you sit out at the front porch of your room, you may even catch glimpses of playful squirrels leaping from tree to tree. I actually noticed a fairly fat monkey on one particular morning. As the property is owned and run by family members, you would find that these hospitable people would try their very best to accede to your request! I especially appreciate the daily breakfast personally made by the owner's wife. The room is clean with bare essentials. Always ask for mosquito coil or better still, spray on some insect repellant whenever one travels to tropical countries! Note that the property is tucked away from the main streets of Ubud so if you don't mind walking, you can still get to the shopping belts and eateries in about 15 minutes. Overall, this is an ideal choice of accommodation for anyone who is not looking for a luxurious 4-5 star treatment.

Room Tip: If you enjoy privacy with a spectacular view of the surrounding hills, always ask for villa 17 or 18
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Mersindor
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2011

No way near as charming as Jepun Inda's Tea House or Puri Garden for the same price but view is lovely and location near great eating spots.
Service very fast and accomodating. I requested to borrow a dvd and it arrived within minutes. I've lost count how many times I have come to Ubud but I do like to watch a dvd as I travel solo. The tv was tiny with rabbit ears. The antenae was a bamboo pole, a metal tray and a wire coat hanger.
The bathroom is horrible - prison cells get better - and the room,
basic. But for $30
inc. tax and breakfast thought I could endure it.
The pool is clean but the pool area uninviting. Nothing as pristine as their brochure shows. This photo
could be twenty years old.
I am having flash backs to Suly in Mas but the location and their keenness to oblige thwarts the
runner instinct.  Despite the panoramic view I close all the
curtains as I feel any moment someone will walk past and see
directly into my bedroom. It has
already happened once and I was in
Only bra and knickers. I don't feel like I have much privacy.
I have a shower - there is no hot water but I am so sticky from sweat a blast of cold is ok.
The insect repelent has come on and as the door does not seal thoroughly I wonder what night with insects lays ahead.
The mosquito net is heavy with dust, the bedding old and grubby.
The exposed thatched roof would surely freak our arichnaphobe friends out completely. I doubt this roof would withstand heavy rain either.
There isn't any bottled water either which is fairly stock standard given the water could kill you.
I bale. I didn't stay for even one night. It rained hard that night - I imagine my room at Taman Indrakila is being mopped dry.

• Stayed May 2011
2 Thank a_woman_abroad
delhi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2011

We stayed here for 2 days. We had a look at the standard cottage and decided to take the private villa. We had a stunning view of the valley with not a soul in sight. Our villa was at the edge of the property so we were completely secluded from the other guests as well.

The living room, kitchen and bed room were all very spacious. The bathroom is small, but clean. The bathroom could have been designed better so that the shower water doesn't splash all over the bathroom. We had good hot water 24 hrs.

The pool was clean, could have done with some better deck chairs.

Breakfast was meagre with just cut fruits and tea. So we ordered additional food which was good.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2010

Go for the warm and friendly staff, stunning views and the quiet location. Close enough to Ubud town to shop and sightsee, far enough away to be a tranquil oasis in a crowded town. The amenities [like the bathrooms] are very basic, but this is more than made up for by the service. No kettle in the room? No problem, we'll deliver hot Balinese tea to your bungalow every morning. A definite winner in budget acommodation.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
darwin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2010

We checked out early from another Ubud hotel after getting the feeling our children (4 and 6) were "interrupting" the staff and other guests tranquility. What can I say...2 little boys will make noise, laugh and play. So we moved on to Taman Indrakila and we were not disappointed. Kids could relax and be kids and that allowed us to finally relax. We stayed for 3 nights in a bungalow. Sure, the rooms were tired on the inside but sufficient for the price asked, and the outsides were lovely (there was always fresh flask of nice coffee and bali tea), fantastic breeze, gardens and views over the valley, nice swimming pool with kids paddle area (the 2 rickerty old wooden deck chairs had not move since our stay last year). The staff were fine (if you want something just ask, but language is abit of a barrier, so learn some Bahasa Indo or Balinese) . The restaurant was great, food was really nice and affordable. The kids loved playing with the cat and the local kids who lived next door, and I enjoyed the gorgeous massage centre across the road...... they serve you the best ginger tea and fruit platter! Very convenient, quiet location that cost only $1-2 to get into Ubud centre by taxi. For the cheap price, privacy and peacefulness of the location, I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family