“Heavenly kindness and beauty!”

Swasti Eco Cottages
Ranked #57 of 195 Hotels in Ubud
Portland, Oregon
“Heavenly kindness and beauty!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

Incredible welcome and generous staff, almost beyond belief. I can't say as I have matched the graciousness and joy with which we were helped, day after day, at any other location or luxury hotel. The rooms are beautiful, clean, and well appointed while being traditional and cool. The organic farm made the food delicious, safe, and energizing, and most of all, the staff. Again, the staff! Loving and helpful with everything you could want or need. They embraced our group and made it all perfect. Less than 10 minutes walk to the bustle of central Ubud, this is a sanctuary that we will return to again and again. Thank you!

Room Tip: The traditional bungalows are traditional, cool and amazing (Lolo and Sandy!) and the upstairs delux...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank LisaMae o
swasti, Manager at Swasti Eco Cottages, responded to this review, 17 June 2012
Dear lovely guest,

We are so happy while read your lovely review, thanks so much..Our new fish pond will open this summer where the guest can fishing and do fish grilled in our organic restaurant..Hope to see you again soon next year :)

Many thanks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Berkeley, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

I just got back from my trip to Bali, where I spent my first 5 nights at Swasti Eco Cottages. It was the best place I stayed during the trip, and I stayed at one place that was quite a bit more expensive. The bungalow and grounds were beautiful, the staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful, and the food was delicious - something I did *not* universally find in Bali!

As a 60-year-old woman travelling alone, I also found it a completely comfortable and easy place to mingle with other travelers and feel at home.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
swasti, Manager at Swasti Eco Cottages, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear lovely guest,

We would like to say thank you so much for your lovely review, now in our organic farm we have fish pond where the guests can do fishing..we just had so much corns from our organic garden..We are looking forward to welcome you back in Swasti

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

There is no place in the world quite as special as Eco Swasti. You will never want to leave the warm, kind staff...It felt like one big happy family that welcomed me with open arms. Thank you Bop, Made, Ketut, Radna and so many others for making me feel so special.

A beautiful place committed to sustainable practices and local sourcing, complete with delectable, lovingly prepared food from the abundant organic garden.

I will be back this year,hopefully you will save room for me with all your full bookings!? :)

All my best,
Lorri B.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
swasti, Manager at Swasti Eco Cottages, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear lovely guest,

We are so extremely happy with reading your beautiful review..we got our baby bunnies from our organic farm, we are looking forward to see you back in Swasti

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

We r from France but living in Singapore. I chose this hotel for our vacation in Ubud cuz I saw lots of nice comments on tripadvisor! I think they were not right. This place is not great but Extraordinary! Very friendly and helpful staff, breathtaking cottages, extra clean and neat,very nice organic garden, mouthwatering food and very nice facilities and spa activities. You never give the best rate on a hotel cuz you need to challenge them! At Swasti, there is nothing to challenge! Stay the same and you will need to add plenty of cottages cuz you will have so many visitors in the future! Our friends and us including...For Sure!!!! Thank you for making our vacation extra!
2012. April

Room Tip: No matter what you choose, you will be very happy and satisfied!
swasti, Manager at Swasti Eco Cottages, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Dear Lovely Family,

We are so happy for your lovely review, thank you so much..We are about waiting for the babies of our goats, so we can start to have homemade cheese, fresh milk, and youghurt all the way fresh from our organic farm..
We are looking forward to see you again in the near future..
Have a lovely day

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

We just got back from Bali and our first 4 nights were spent in Swasti - we wish we had stayed there the entire trip rather than move onto Sanur! We were absolutely spoilt!

I had read and re-read all the reviews here on Trip Advisor and I would firstly like to say the people who didn't enjoy it seem to really be nit-picking as this resort is fabulous value for money. So much better than staying in the centre of Ubud (from the looks of things).

On arrival (2am due to delayed flight) the friendly security guard took us up to our room (Rama, deluxe room on second floor) and we started taking photos right away. The staff put flowers all over the place, bed, bath, desk, balcony, every time they make up your room - the effort they put in is phenomenal. Although the flowers in the bathroom attract ants, but it's an outdoor type bathroom so doesn't really matter, they look lovely. They provide you with an eco bag for your shopping and water in a cooler, and the water coming from the taps is fresh and lovely too (I didn't drink it though, to be safe, and I'm comparing this with the water coming from the taps in Sanur, which was revolting).

Staff are so lovely, they are so friendly and smiling all the time, and so trusting, very typical of Balinese people it seems, so warm and inviting. We especially loved chatting with Pak Komang (Sandrine was away for most of our stay so we didn't get to meet her) and the receptionist Ketut was so much fun at the Bali dinner. In fact, they are all fun, what a wonderful group of people, they seem to really enjoy working there!

We found the fan in our room more than enough to cool us in late April, in face we turned it off during the night as the air was cool enough. My only suggestion would be maybe to have a sheet as well as the blanket in the rooms, as at first the blanket is too heavy, but I just put my sarong over me until the air cooled enough to use the blanket.

Our last night we were moved to one of the traditional rooms "Nyoman" which has lovely coloured decor (I love aqua) and the literally outdoor bathroom, something so different which we really enjoyed. It is in a noisier area as it is next to reception, but the whole resort is not very noisy anyway, so it didn't bother us. And Nyoman has a king size bed plus another single bed by the window!

We appreciated the lovely natural products provided in the bathroom as well. We strolled around the organic garden a few times (the first time with a random staff member who offered to show us around, how lovely!) and I'm sure yoga in the pavilion is great.

One main thing, DO NOT miss the Balinese dinner! It is so fantastic! We are vegetarian and really enjoyed the food, the decorations and the little Balinese dancers (two different troupes and one dancer recommended by the Balinese government - you can see why!) are PHENOMENAL! So many intricate steps and expressions, for such long amounts of time, how do they learn this? So amazing. Our camera died that night so unfortunately we have no photos or video - we will just have to come back again! What bothered us at the dinner were the rude French and American guests (I know and am glad that not all are like this) who talked loudly through it and ignored the girls dancing for us and then left early before the staff had finished their segment. All that for less than AUD$20, so wonderful.

Breakfast every day was lovely in the beautiful restaurant, we chose most often the vegetarian Nasi Goreng (wonderful) and pancakes (tried all flavours) and there was also eggs and fruit salad. Try the lemon juice one morning, it is really refreshing!

My advice would be to hire a scooter when staying here, I know it isn't very eco friendly to say that but it is a little distance (through monkey forest - which you don't do at night) from the centre of Ubud and it just makes life easier if you only have a few days like we did. There is a side passage that goes around the monkey forest (kind of in it but on the outskirts) which lots of people do at night with a torch, just that in the heat, walking all that distance gets a bit exhausting! Swasti has parking available for your scooter and it is very cheap.

I also did a cooking course, with a sweet lady from the kitchen (Ibu?), she showed me how to make their tasty Nasi Goreng that I loved for breakfast so much. I didn't have time to go and find a full cooking course, or I would have so this was a convenient little taste.

Loved the salt water swimming pool as well, great for my sensitive skin, and always some shade in there. Eco spa was nice, do not go in the evening or at sunset though, there are too many mosquitoes but Pak Komang said that they are extending it so that it won't be all open anymore and won't be a problem. The young guy in there is an absolute perfectionist (I think his name is Agus? He did my pedicure) and the lady gave my husband a very good massage too! Another tip: the "hat umbrellas" are the massive rice paddy worker hats that are on your wall saying "Swasti Eco Cottage" - use them if it rains, very effective!

CONGRATULATIONS SWASTI! HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, WE WILL BE BACK!

Room Tip: Rama is a wonderful room, so is Nyoman but it is noisier as it is a traditional room close to recept...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank neridar
swasti, Manager at Swasti Eco Cottages, responded to this review, 7 June 2012
Dear lovely couple,

We would like to say thank you very much for your lovely review, and our new spa will be opening very soon this month..so when you're back here next time, you will enjoy our new spa ..
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

My family and I first discovered Swasti Cottages 3 years ago on our first trip to Bali. We fell in the love with the atmosphere, staff, restaurant, food, flowers, etc. On our recent trip back to Bali we couldn't wait to see what they had done while we were gone and sure enough we were VERY impressed. Now the restaurant which was unbelievable before is almost wholly supplied by their organic garden. Being vegetarians that is very important to us. The Balinese and international food are all exceptional. The grounds, rooms, pool, quiet area, are all are wonderful place to spend a few days, a week or even a month relaxing and getting away from it all! Even within Ubud is the perfect spot to escape and remember what Bali is all about....finding Balance. Check it out! Cheers, Cary, Rocky & Safiyah

Room Tip: Stay in one of the Javanese cottages!!
2 Thank Cary S
swasti, Manager at Swasti Eco Cottages, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
Dear gorgeous family,

We would like to say thank you so much for your beautiful review, our new spa will be open very soon, so we hope to see you again very soon in Swasti

Have a lovely day

Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

Really enjoyed our stay. The bungalow, food, pool and people were simply fabulous. We would recommend this Swasti Eco Cottage and will come back again.

swasti, Manager at Swasti Eco Cottages, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Dearest lovely guest,

We would like to say thank you very much for your beautiful review, we serve now fresh goat milk from our organic farm in our restaurant, we are looking forward to see you again in Swasti..