Swasti is one of those hotels/resorts where you end up with an album of envious photos. It is like staying in a posh, exotic kampong in the middle of the rice fields. We went with "Sandy" bungalow that had 2 extra beds including a loft, small deck and a nice outdoor bathroom. The surrounding neighborhood is very quiet & conducive to a good night's sleep. The swimming pool is perfect for a refreshing dip after a sweaty walk through the nearby monkey forest. The Swasti restaurant is "organic" with an eclectic mix of local & french dishes, much of which comes from their own organic garden. The food isn't "outstanding", but does the job well enough. The included breakfast and coffee was a good start to the day. Hotel had decent wi-fi to help plan the next day's excursions. Rooms/cottages don't have A/C (only fans) but in the cooler hills it is quite comfortable.
Swasti it is actually located on the other side of the monkey forest (but there is a little 5-minute walk of a path that goes around to get to Ubud center, no need to pay to go through each time but look out for the scooters). Visiting the center of Ubud is easy, no need for taxis or scooters. Take a bit of mosquito repellent (goes for most places in Bali anyway). A little exploring and you can "stumble" onto the rice fields from the side path just next to the monkey forest (hint, there is a staircase that goes up past a barrage opening).
A few small drawbacks:
Careful booking on-line notably with other booking agents, they book on a 2-person theory but Swasti will add additional if there are more (even if it fits the bungalow's capacity) - supposedly to offset the included breakfast.
Finally Swasti doesn't take credit cards (& the local ATMs give out money in the equivalent of $5 bills) - keep a stash ready for checkout after the meals and massages. If Swasti had a way to top-up over internet (Paypal or something) it would remove this logistical annoyance.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Swasti Eco Cottages is a charming hotel situated in Nyuh Kuning, a small and quiet woodcarver village adjacent to central Ubud (1 hour from the airport), of 14 cottages and bungalows with a swimming pool, an organic restaurant and vegetable garden and an Eco-Spa providing 100% natural treatments. Swasti Eco Cottages is a place of its own, where you will find yourself submerged in local Balinese culture and a family-like atmosphere with Serenity and peace. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Swasti Eco Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Swasti Eco Cottage Hotel Ubud
- Swasti Eco Cottages Ubud, Bali