“Lovely garden - a place to relax”

Swasti Eco Cottages
Ranked #52 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 1 May 2014

After two nights in bud city center we moved to the Swasti Eco Cottage just south of the monkey forrest.
We found ourselves in a wonderful garden setting with a nice pool, an ok restaurant, a good SPA and an ok Bungalow (stayed 3 nights in a Superior Bungalow with Fan only and open bathroom).
Swasti is not a bad place at all and the location is still in walking disctance to the center. We enjoyed having a pool and having a restaurant and SPA just on site. Nevertheless we believe the price is too high for what it is.
We had 2 sleepless nights due to heat and a rat walking around in our bungalow. The bathroom isopen and full of ants ... well all fine but not so much for this price. We must say that after telling teh staff they immediately reacted and brought a second fan and put glue around the roof openings to avoid animals coming in - top!

Room Tip: Go for a room with closed bathroom and AC
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ruth F
Swasti Eco C, Manager at Swasti Eco Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2016

Dear Ruth,

2 years pass since you let this review.
Swasti had changed management and we are super happy to inform you than we do offer now bungalow with AC, that will answer you need for a fresh sleep and an hermetic bungalow.
WE would love to received you again. Please contact us directly at hotelswasti@hotmail.com for get a special discount.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

I was there on a 10 day workshop and thought the place was amazing. they have created something really special. The soap in the shower was made from soap nuts and was simply sumptious! The pool was lovely, the grounds manicured perfectly! The food in the restaurant was really " clean", healthy, tasty food, it felt so good!

Room Tip: Get air con! Our room was beautiful but I nearly died from the heat!!!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Deb D
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We had a great give days at Swasti over Nyepi. The grounds and landscaping are immaculate and tastefully done. The room we stayed in was great too (but a bit hot in the day)- we loved lounging outside on the comfy day bed. The restaurant serves good food as well, but I wished it would have been clearer than we could order as much breakfast as we wanted. I thought we had to choose only one thing and as a result I was always hungry after. I only found out on the last day that you could get as much as you want.

One other note: I agree with the previous person's comments about the animals on the farm. It seems they should be treated better. Also, from an ecological perspective, the consumption of meat is not very 'eco' (takes many more resources to produce 1kg of meat than 1kg of veggies), so perhaps the menu could be designed to reflect this reality to keep the place in line with the eco philosophy.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Daniel G
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I had decided to stay at the Swasti Ecco Cootages as I had a quick look at the cottages when I stayed in Bali the last time, however there were no rooms available. I also liked the idea of the organic restaurant, veggie garden, ecco spa and the idea of recycling.
I stayed in a deluxe room that was more expensive then other deluxe rooms I stayed in Bali. The room had a great internal design and a beautiful balcony and I felt more than at home. However the lack of a tea/coffee making facility (as well as lack of fridge and TV, which I didn't really miss) did not justify the price for the room to my opinion.
Swasti's staff was more than friendly and always looked after me.
As mentioned I did like the economic and organic approach, however was shocked when I had a look at their area where they keep their goats, sheep, chickens, roster, rabbits and ducks. I felt very sad the the whole environmental and organic approach has stopped at this area. The goats and sheep were on robes and enclosed for the majority of the day. The chickens, rabbit and roster in small cages all day. Several times I gave them water which was either non existent or dirty. One or the rabbits had a bad fur condition.
For me personally this made me feel uncomfortable and it would be a reason not to return, unless management changes their approach towards their animals.
Saying so I was allowed to keep a cat with her kittens over Nyepi (despite no pets rule) and did really appreciated this.
I will contact the management (French) to write about my concern about their animals and will update on Trip Advisor.
I did enjoy everything else. The lush gardens and quiet atmosphere and great food at the restaurant.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Rama (deluxe room on the 1st floor with balcony overlooking the swimming pool) and...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank Iralienchen
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

I participated in a workshop/retreat at Swasti and stayed in a cottage. I loved every detail! Yes, there was some "open air" in the lovely bathroom but that meant the plants were naturally watered when it rained. Mosquito nets around the bed really helped at night. The decor is beautifully designed. The staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. I had four massages and all were great! I totally loved this experience and recommend to anyone ecologically minded and who wants to be near the town center without the noise and bustle.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank sigalgolan
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights in Feb 2014. It was ok -- I think my friends and I liked the concept more than the actual experience. Booked a cottage room online and was charged extra for our 3rd person even though the room had a double bed and a twin bed (to be fair, it was mentioned on agoda that there might be a surcharge, but we thought that with such a big room that might have been a mistake). Bathroom was open to the elements, which meant when it rained your feet got wet if you used the toilet. Lots of frogs hung out in the room with us, and there was mysterious amphibian poop everywhere, including on the bamboo bedrail at night. To get to downtown Ubud, you can walk through the monkey forest or down a narrow motorcycle path (with lots of motorcycles going every which way down it). Breakfast is great though. We moved after two nights.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank superblueridge
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

We stay here for three days and fell in love with the hotel. Our room was awesome and the atmosphere surrounding it was even better: nature, green.. It makes you feel apart from everything; definitely a great place to relax and enjoy quietness. Unfortunately the massage experience went badly. We order and Ayurveda massage (Abhyanga) because we usually take this kind and let us very disappointed. The therapist was sick and keep coughing all over us, she did sides differently, interrupted several times to talk to another colleague and the quality was poorly. It's a nice place to spend the night and relax in the garden and pool, but we suggest to take a massage outside this hotel.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple