“Great value; some issues”
Review of Coffee & Copper

Coffee & Copper
Ranked #378 of 568 Ubud B&B and Inns
Seattle, Washington
“Great value; some issues”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

After spending two nights on Jl. Bisma we decided to opt for a small change of scenery and check out the Coffee & Copper bungalows for two nights. I got online first to be sure they had a room available before walking over there to make our reservation the day before we were to check in. The only room they had available was the "Deluxe" which we found very much to our liking even though it was over our price point.
Since it was just a couple nights and we didn't want to continue the search we decided to take the room at $70/night which included breakfast. The room is spacious and was kept clean. You can definitely hear the road noise most of the time - it quieted down around 10pm and started again around 6am - but it was tolerable and we were prepared with ear plugs.
Getting to the place on foot is obnoxious during the day and flat out dangerous at night. You can either walk through the Monkey Forest or on a narrow side road that borders it. Motorbikes speed down the curvy side-road, forcing pedestrians into the fence or off the path completely. Though some may take this as part of the fun in Ubud, I found it nerve-racking. The Monkey Forest route is alright but if you're carrying bags you WILL get harassed by the aggressive monkeys. At night - I dunno, you have to take a taxi. You can risk the side path and being hit by a motorbike if you wish but it was already dicey enough during the day so we ended up having to hire a car at night if we were returning after dark.

The best part about our stay was the cafe. We ate a few meals there and enjoyed some drinks. The atmosphere and service are great and the value is fantastic. The markup on their beer is hardly anything (compared to the Bintang grocery store); food was tasty and menu well thought out. The owners' brother Made made sure we were well aware of his tour guide services when we first arrived (before we even checked in) which we thought was really convenient but later felt pretty taken advantage of - and annoyed at him continually trying to sell himself on us for more and more touring every time we ran into him.

Overall, it would have been a 4-star experience... but: on the first night the power went out in our room - this would have been a totally forgettable occurrence had the water not been turned off for HOURS the next morning. We woke a bit before 7am to find the faucets dry (though we suspect it may have been off as early as 3am when the toilet wasn't flushing) and waited while they tried to fix it until after 9 (causing us to be late for our tour pickup).

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 12 September 2013 via mobile

I spent a week in one of the Coffee Copper bungalows. With only 4 residences this place is pretty exclusive. The gardens are typically Balinese, with a pool that I never fought for. This property is right on the entry to Ubuds Monkey Forest. On the street front is the Coffee Copper cafe. An extremely popular place to kick back and chill. The restaurant / bar serves a delightful selection of Balinese delights or if you like, you can grab a great expresso to get you going. I love the intimacy.

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
dubai
Reviewed 6 September 2013

keeping in mind that the prices have gone slightly up for a place that overall is still very simple, i just love staying here when i come to Ubud. Walking distance from Ubud centre, however out of the manic traffic of Ubud - right next to the monkey forest with monkeys coming to greet you good morning on the balcony every day (with that in mind you must like monkeys and remember not to keep stuff out as they are cheeky and will steal anything). To me its just amusing to wake up with monkeys on my balcony or playing on the roof :-) The rooms are in lovely balinese style, pretty simple but beautiful. Hot water, AC and even TV if you upgrade to the suite of deluxe. During lower season you might get lucky and negotiate the rates down. They management is very sweet. Its a family run business and as such every time i come here i feel like coming back home. The food is good by Indonesian standards, you can get REAL coffee and Mido, Sasy, Wayan and all the rest of the personnel are an absolute delight and they will always try to help you out finding what you need.
the only down side its a new wood carving place just in the back of Coffee and Copper that at times starts working pretty early morning ruining the peace of the place.
There is no spa, but simple local massages can be arranged if you ask for one.
Other than the prices being above the standard for a simple place....i do love Coffee and Copper nevertheless.

Room Tip: my favourite room is the suite room as it is the only one on 2 floors with a beautiful balcony for s...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
singapore
Reviewed 10 August 2013

Great large rooms with lots of light! Lovely garden!The staff is always helpful and makes you feel like family.They will provide everything you need. And if you like biking, do not miss the ride with Wayan and the lovely traditional Balinese lunch. Coffee Copper is located right in front of the monkey forest, first place you want to see in Ubud!! And if I was smart, I should not recommend this place becouse I want to make sure I can reserve it on my next trip!!!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Fremantle, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Coffee and copper is a delightful, exotic hotel consisting of four little villas joined together with a gorgeous garden, pool and fabulous restaurant featuring gourmet, healthy food at really great prices. I've stayed there twice, in October 2011 and July 2013. The staff are really sweet, the owner Nyoman is a great character who often hangs out chatting in the restaurant. We stayed in the superior villa the first time I was there for my birthday, it has a gazebo in it's private garden, a couple of lovely daybeds and ornate moss-covered stone-carvings hidden in corners. In the bathroom is a little pond with fish and turtles. On one side of the hotel is the Monkey Forest so you can watch the monkeys from the restaurant and walk through the forest to get to Ubud centre, just a couple of minutes away. On the other side is Nyuh Kuning, a peaceful and tidy village. It's the perfect place to stay if you want to be close to inner Ubud but without the noise and traffic.

Room Tip: Scooters going into Ubud start early morning on the Monkey Forest side so the rooms on the south are...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Calgary
Reviewed 14 February 2013

I can't believe I haven't written a second review of this place yet. The first time we went was in November, 2010, but I went back with a friend in January, 2011 (I put 'March 2012' on here because that's as far back as I can go). I wasn't allowed to write another review at that time, because it hadn't been long enough since the first visit. But, here's the second review now!

On our first trip, my husband and I had booked the 'Suite' room, which was fine but took some getting used to because of the geckos in the ceiling (they can be loud at night, and plus... I just wasn't used to having geckos in my room. They're cute, though... I got used to them). This time around, my friend and I booked the 'Standard' room. When we arrived, there was an issue with our room, so they upgraded us to the 'Deluxe' room for the night (though we ended up being able to stay in there all week!).

The Deluxe room was dreamy. Very clean and spacious. King bed, two outdoor washrooms (one with a toilet, the other with a tub and shower), a private porch and garden... we were in heaven!

As was the case with my first trip there, the service and food were both amazing. Nothing beats the location, though... being that close to Monkey Forest is spectacular. And the fact that you have to walk through the forest to get into town, means that you'll get to spend more time with the monkeys than most people who visit Ubud do. They are fascinating, and you will not forget this experience.

We were in SE Asia for a year. When friends and acquaintances are travelling there, Coffee & Copper is one of the only hotels I recommend.

If you're looking for a great tour, use Wayan at the hotel as your travel guide. You'll pay a little more, but his English is great and he'll take you a few extra places.

Coffee & Copper is HIGHLY recommended. I can't wait to go back one day.

Room Tip: The Deluxe room is the best, if you're willing to put out a bit extra $$. Also, if you're f...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Limassol, Cyprus
Reviewed 29 January 2013

This place is not only exotic and beautiful but one of the most incredible places i have ever stayed in and the most amazing experience of my life. Is feels just like home, its quiet, exotic, nice and most important its value for money.
My trip to Bali back in 2011 was the most amazing trip i have ever had and the most strong experience of my life, which i will never forget. This place has contributed to these feelings. The thing that i've noticed most is the amazing personality of the staff! Is located next to the Monkey Forest which is amazing if you like to wake up in the morning and find some of the cutest monkeys in your front yard! Everything in this place is amazing and it is highly reccomended!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo