“A Sanctuary Indeed”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Desa Sanctuary, The Village
Ranked #275 of 639 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 June 2013

My girlfriend and her daughter and I traveled around Bali for 11 days and enjoyed every experience we had.Staying at the Desa Sanctuary was a very unexpected treat for sure!We were fortunate to have pre hired a driver for our entire stay in Bali to take us anywhere we wished to visit.He can be reached at .... laksana_agung@yahoo.com .As we drove down the narrow driveway to Desa Sanctuary,we began to wonder what kind of accommodation we had booked.Behind the large beautifully carved door was a surprise,well beyond what we had hoped for. Lush gardens,stone pathways,a small crystal clear pool,and our breath taking Villa.Large and airy on the main floor with a canopy bed to lounge on,and a washroom that was open to the sky(yes private).The upstairs was another surprise!Completely decorated in hand carved wood on the ceiling,with wood on the walls,and yes... one more open air washroom.Large enough for the three us and all our luggage and shopping spree purchases.The staff at the "Village"were so friendly and made every effort to make your stay a memorable one. If you need to hire a driver,they can provide one for you very quickly. I would suggest doing that instead of a taxi because he can stay with you while you shop,or want to explore a bit more. The distance to town is farther than what you would want to walk,and for a very low cost, a van can get you there easily. I have read some of the negatives from other travelers,but I have to disagree with most comments.Yes.... the roosters do start to do their thing around 4 am or so,and the Temple bells can be heard in the far off distance and the scooters rev up around 6am. BUT..... What a way to wake up early and start the day,and get a jump on your days excursions.A tasty breakfast is provided and you can beat the heat by getting out early. Mosquitoes and ants are sometimes a bother....but you are in a tropical setting!!!Don't get too worried about the little Geckos..... they take care of the first two I mentioned!.... So take your shoes off at the door.... kick back...... have a cold local beer called Bin Tang,and say out loud.... SING KEN KEN....That means NO WORRIES in Bali .... ENJOY..... We did!!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 4 June 2013

We stayed 1 month at Desa Sanctuary. Rating our stay out of 5 was awkward given that some parts of our stay were really memorable, others were not.

To summarise the pro's and con's...

Pro's: Incredibly personal service from the wonderful Balinese staff. We felt so well looked after and it really made our stay. From 8am - 9pm, they were ready to help with anything at all. Caring and thoughtful, they were the ultimate hosts.

The setting is beautiful - lush tropical plants, coconut trees, attractive little pool and 5 unique villas with sufficient privacy.

We looked forward to breakfast each morning at 8am, with a choice of fresh tropical fruits, muesli, pancakes and eggs.

Con's: Quality of sleep was variable, due to noise. Particularly the cockerels (aka roosters) starting as early as 4am. You get this all over Ubud, but because the downstairs bedroom is an open on two sides (no walls), it's really quite loud. Combined with numerous ant and mosquito bites, we had some rough nights sleep downstairs. Upstairs was less noisy with fewer insect bites, so we slept better there, but overall, this is the reason I've given 3 stars and not 5.

The little swimming pool was overdone with chemicals. I could feel a film over my skin so only used it 3 times in a month whereas I normally swim daily.

The location is a few km from town and the sides are only partly paved, so consider hiring a motorbike (50,000Rp per day or 650,000Rp per month).

The free internet is very handy but the speed was very slow in cloudy/rainy weather (most days).

The showers were often cold and the upstairs shower had to be hand held.

Unrelated tip: if you're hiring a vehicle from the airport to Ubud, the correct price is RP200,000. You can negotiate this price with the drivers at the airport, no need to book a taxi in advance.

Room Tip: Great for 1 bedroom but if you need 2 bedrooms, the downstairs one is open and therefore rather loud...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
ArtlifePancakes, Owner at Desa Sanctuary, The Village, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write us a wonderful review. We appreciate your candidness and like to be clear with our guests that we are doing our absolute best to manage the "jungle" on our terms.....keeping ants at bay and bargaining with our neighbors to "buy" their roosters....unfortunately they forget that they agreed to not have them, and go out and get another one.
We do understand about the wifi on cloudy, rainy days, but on most days we have great internet speed...clear enough for Skype and You Tube movies.

We are very sorry to hear about the pools chlorine levels. This would have been something we would immediately resolve had we known about it at the time....The same goes for the shower being cold....That should have been addressed by the "fix-it" staff immediately and I apologize for that.

We love that you LOVE our staff...they are wonderful...as are their pancakes!
Brenda and David

Reviewed 10 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed nine lovely nights in Rumah Kampung. It really is lovely accommodation, with a big bed, a sitting area, balcony, large bathroom and separate kitchen area.

The gardens are beautiful, the pool lovely and the staff very helpful. The breakfasts are fresh and delicious.

The only issue we had was the description when we booked stated it was minutes from town- it may be by scooter or driving but definitely not by walking. In reality it is at least a half hour walk to central ubud. We ended up using taxis, or ordering dinner in so that we didn't have to walk home in the dark.

It is lovely- just be aware of the distance if you are walking.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 19 December 2012

I am a guest here at the sanctuary. This is my 3rd trip to Ubud this year and I am American, I have no underlying reason to tell anything but the truth.
Location: it is outside of town but it is not a 50,000 rup cab ride heck that will get you to the airport twice and that is a two hour trip one way. No one walks in Bali one rents a scooter and it is literally a 5 min scooter ride to the center of Ubud. The sanctuary also has a driver available which is very convenient. 40,000 rup and he will take you out all day in an aircon SUV to tour all the sights. Yes, you can get a cab cheaper from the airport going rate 25,000 rup vs 30,000 rup but why would you want to barter with a cab driver who may or may not know where the location is in Ubud and may or may not have an aircon in his car. 5,000 rup difference hardly qualifies as extortion people for the convenience. The physical property is gorgeous and it is set away from the main road down a bit of a hilly driveway. It is beautifully landscaped and clean. I have had no noise issues. I have stayed out in Penestanan where it is supposed to be peaceful and quiet and It was far noisier.
The villas are close together and I Luv that as I got to know my neighbors as they cycled in and out and I even gave a private yoga lesson to one guest by the pool. The staff is extremely friendly and will help you arrange tours, food delivery, and even arrange a delivery of fresh coconuts for you. The breakfast of fresh fruit, granola, and yogurt was wonderful. Being an American, Nescafé in a packet does not qualify as coffee. I would like to see them put a coffee chambord and fresh ground coffee in every villa as Bali had amazing coffee - but I just went and purchased the wonderful cold pressed from FREAK coffee on Hanoman street - Asher is the owner and some fresh almond milk from Bali Buddah and I am very happy. To conclude, the sanctuary is a small 5 villa bandb it IS NOT a 5 star hotel. You can not compare a price point of $50-75 a day US dollars to the Four Seasons or Aman resort which is $400-700 a night US. You will Luv it here.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank ssmorgan98
Reviewed 18 September 2012 via mobile

What a nice little village just outside ubud. The staff is extremely friendly and even remember your first name, when you ask them something. There s a nice pool that doesnt get much sun, so can be quite chilly. The garden is great and the appt we had was one of the few that Had privacy (real frontdoor) with aircon. Inside there arent many ways to block out the sun in the early morning (no curtains) and also the road as well as the rooster wakes you up quite early. Which is fine, since the pancake breakfast is very tasty. Locationwise the sanctuary lacks in comfort. There s no pavement for about a km and the traffic is quite hectic. We ended up renting motorbikes to get to town (50k RUP) which solved the problem for us. The place is quite cheap and has a great family feel to it.

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed 3 September 2012

We recently spent 3 glorious weeks at Desa and did not regret our choice to stay there in any way . It is very hard to describe the ambiance of the place - when you push open the door you step into an oasis of calm . Ubud can get very busy so it is essential to be able to slip away . We enjoyed the walk into town and back everyday and we became regulars on Pengosekan and the local people got to wave at us and wish us well ; we got to know all the dogs too that so diligently guarded their territory - they were cool . Some-one said to me "get a taxi into town it's only $5" ....what did God give me legs for ! We found it was the best way to begin to digest the lovely food we had eaten at the plentiful Warungs ! So - our stay . We chose 'Joglo Ganesha ' and it lived up to our expectations - it was beautiful . It was kept scrupulously clean by the staff , they were so self effacing - I believe they actually conspired to make us happy . I would like to thank the whole team - Sak Ming who very efficiently organized our booking and pick up at the Airport - no drama whatsoever AND Taman who sorted all our day to day needs out . She was such a kind woman(not forgetting her lovely husband Nengah who drove us here there and everywhere in his taxi when we needed to go farther afield) , she has the biggest smile in town .... special thanks to Ketut and Wayan who seemed always to be there with an answer to any of our questions and solutions to any of our minor problems and always a smile ! I felt a little sad that we had not thanked everyone enough when we left . Also the quiet industrious groundsmen that kept the gardens so beautifully and the little old lady that put the offerings on the little altar behind our house - I just loved how everybody did their job in wonderful synchronicity .....
I could go on and on ...... Sharon and I feel a lot better emotionally and physically after our stay at Desa - what more can you ask for !
Harry+Sharon
ps I think it worthy of a mention how I got to choose Desa - 2 years ago I met an American Artist in Melbourne Australia my home town - she was putting on an exhibition - we got talking . I said that I had just got back from Bali and she said "if you come again,come and stay at our place" . It was meant to be ..Thanks Brenda , I know that you value your staff - you told me so !
pps forgot to mention the lovely swimming pool !

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Our biggest complaint was the location... Not close enough to Ubud central to walk each timeand not far enough away to be scenic and worth the taxi in! In fairness, this may have been my fault in terms of research, but I was overwhelmed with Ubud options! However, staff were friendly - and even scooted me to a yoga class I was late for when no taxis were available. I do wish however I would have booked at Casa Luna as planned to be in the action of it all.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple