“American Friends Abroad”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Desa Sanctuary, The Village
Ranked #236 of 602 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 August 2010

No need for your lonely planet guide here as your new acquired ex pats have all that one needs for your pampered stay in the land of Bali enchantment. Image your own cottage next to a pool with a personal guide at your finger tips. The yogurt local fruit breakfast was my fav but they also can indulge your sweet tooth, yum. Desa Sanctuary is a safe enclosed gated private villa near the center of Ubud. You are a stone's throw to all the excotic temptations of the local restaurants but thankfully near the, yes THE yoga barn for your morning detox with the best instructors in the world. I have been to classes in Santa Monica, New York, New England, Spain and Costa Rica and the BEST instructors go to Bali's yoga barn. Bali changed me for the better after losing the love of my life so o i owe a thousands thanks to Desa. Namaste! fyi, rent a motorbike so much FUN.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Desa Sanctuary, The Village

Reviewed 29 July 2010

I've visited Bali often since living there for a year in 1973. I'm going back with my daughter for two weeks in October and we'll be staying for two weeks at Desa Sanctuary in Pengosekan. As Ubud has become more crowded and noisy over the years, it's become important for me to stay in a small place that combines modern amenities (pool, AC, some kitchen facilities, and a sense of style) with the authentic grace and charm of Bali and a bit of western management. Desa Sanctuary has it all. Only a few minutes by motor scooter to all the dining-shopping-entertainment pleasures Ubud, it's also close to the more authentic dance performances in Peliatan, the expat community in Nyuhkuning -- and to the main roads to Denpasar, Gyanyar and beyond.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 July 2010

I had the most beautiful time stayiing in Desa Sanctuary! I stayed in the largest house, and absolutely adored it. The main bedroom is stunning, large and spacious with high ceilings and beautiful Balinese furniture and design, the most wonderful bathroom with shower - half of the windows glazed so you are covered, but the top half open i.e. no glass, giving you a beautiful view of all the trees and greenery, making you feel connected with them, and almost as if you are in nature. It is something all may enjoy but I feel that if you are coming from a colder climate and a city, you may particularly enjoy this experience. A downstairs kitchen to make my own food, with delicious breakfast of my choice brought to me every day. And a lovely pool where you can relax.

Yes, there are two other houses near to you, but I feel there is enough privacy for you to enjoy your own space, yet talk to others if you wish. Both in the form of the fact that my private time and space was respected, and also if you wish, there are special blinds/shutters you can pull down to for further privacy should you require it. And if not, then not. The overall feeling and connection I had with the guests was very nice and friendly, the staff did a fab job keeping everything very clean, making sure the garden looked wonderful and bringing me breakfast. I was also taken to buy food for myself before I had my bike, by Taman, one of the staff, and I felt very well looked after in this adjustment process.

I experienced great warmth, fulfilment and happiness in my time there and would highly recommend it to anybody. In fact, I believe it to be a real treat/blessing that one is actually able to stay there. As for David and Brenda the owners, they are two of the most wonderful people - warm, friendly, kind, positive, intelligent and funky! I wish you great happiness and beauty there, that you may then share it with the world.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 July 2010

No frills but super clean and new. Perfect Ubud experience. I don't regret staying here as opposed to any hotel, especially for the price! it's slightly farther from Ubud but just slightly!! don't be discouraged and stay here

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2010

My bf and I stayed here for one night and we were sorry we had not arranged to stay a bit longer. We had a lovely time this place is classy!
The lovely helpful staff never stopped smiling. The location is perfect; not too far from town and not too close to all the buzz and noise. Our room was so romantic too. I will mos def be back. Thanks for a great stay...

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2010

My friend and I came up to Ubud to get away and have a quiet retreat and Desa Sanctuary was perfect for that. I also had one of the best massages ever! We loved being in the nature setting and found the joglos to be so charming and quaint to stay in. We LOVE the owners of this place as well, they are the friendliest and coolest couple ever. The staff is also very nice and helpful. It was an authentic Bali experience! This is our preferred choice of accommodation in Ubud when ever we visit. We always recommend it to everyone who wants to stay in Ubud.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2010

Thanks so much for offering an alternative that is helping preserve the nature and environment of Ubud that has been what attracts people to its charm for years.
This was my 2nd stay at Desa Sanctuary in 6mths, but first for my teenage daughter.
We stayed only 3 nights, but left wishing we'd stayed 3 weeks - this is certainly a place you can make your local home and it is truly a sanctuary from the rat race of Seminyak/Kuta where we departed for!
A few highlights for us:
> The massages were BLISS, in a private studio overlooking the rice paddies,
> Taman's Banana Pancakes delightful,
> Made arranging our dinners for us to be delivered (she even went out in the rain herself one night to collect our pizza!)
> watching the nature alive in the tree tops from our Rumah Tinngi (Tall House)
I read a wonderful review in the International Herald Tribune today giving accolades to those developers in Bali who are making every attempt to conserve the traditional designs of Balinese homes instead of creating "concrete jungles" - Thanks David and Brenda for doing your part!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family