“Eat Pray Love at Nirwa Homestay”

Nirwa Ubud Homestay
Ranked #14 of 616 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 November 2011

We arrived in Bali to be greated by a smiling driver who could not be more helpful. The air was instantly sticky and the heat hit you as soon as we left the airport. The heat carried with it the smells of flowers, the noises of Bali and the smiles of the people... I knew I was on holidays.

A trip through the bustle of the city and into the green. We passed little villages and was given little peices of information from our smiling driver. The real gift was about to come into view. The winding, secretive and mossy path to Nirwa homestay was enchanting. A dog ran out from another house as if wanting to guide us to our new home for the next 5 days. We opened a handcrafted gate to meet the our hosts. One of the warmest families we have ever been welcomed by. I have been travelling long enough to know that if you want to experience the truth of your destination then a mass produced resort is not where you want to be.

The family who own and run Nirwa Homestay treat you like honoured guests coming to be part of their family but also pampered and treasured. We have been provided with small treats and gifts daily, just because our hosts seem to understand that we want to experience the truth of the Balinese people, their welcoming natures, their pride in their county and their buisness, and samples of their traditional food.

The room is magnificent from the perspective of true Balinese style accommodation, the air is moved by fans and you are encouraged to open your windows and doors to welcome in nature, the sights of the Rice terraces, the grazing ducks, the Gekkos, and the birds. The floors are tiled to allow the cool beneath your feet. A private bathroom for great low rates and the ability to either open or close the magnificent heavy and beautifully carved doors, and matching windows. A large room which is simple in design, beds with mosquito nets draping down for both looks and for practical reasons. Sleeping under the nets keeps you amoungst the experience but also is the best way to stop being bitten by bugs and not need man made bug repellents.

With everything open to encourage the breeze also encouraged the scents of your surroundings to visit. This will permiate your waking thoughts so you remember you are on holidays and your day is about to be full of sights, scents and sounds that are different from your home. And this is the reason you are on vacation, to grow and absorb little pieces of the culture around you.

Each morning we have woken to coffee waiting for us on the balcony, not because it was a promised part of our arrangements but because this beautiful family had discovered how important morning coffee was to us, without promting nor request this offering became part of our ritual. We've spent 2 days with our hosts being guided around the sights, the temples, the sacred places and to small villages in surrounding areas. I loved every minute.

The location of Nirwa means a short stroll down the enchanted alley, turn left and you walk to shops, restaurants, and art galleries. Turn right to forest, monkies, villages or rice fields. We've truely loved our stay and every part of delicious breakfasts of juice, coffee and a small but amazing selection of cooked meals. Home cooked and always accommodating, it becomes as if you are staying with friends.

I truely reccommend staying here if you want to know the Balinese, and feel part of the people for just a short while. You'll be glad you did. It isn't the Fairmont but the Fairmont isn't Bali!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Natalina_76

Reviewed 28 November 2011

Booked the "bungalow" for 2 nights but upon checking in, I told my husband that we have to get out the next day. Good thing that we were able to get an additional night at our next destination. Made wasn't pleased about the last minute cancellation and charged us 50% for the 2nd night. We did not try to negotiate, just paid him the money. There was a pellet gun lying in the open, better be safe than sorry. The main reasons why we wanted to leave the moment we got there were: there was no AC in this sweltering heat and the doorway that led to the bathroom had no door. I have a toddler so that's simply too dangerous especially with the flight of stairs (3 steep stairs, i think).

An hour later, while my toddler was taking her nap, i noticed a lot of ants on the wall, not knowing that they were heading towards my pouch which contained some cookies for my toddler. When i found ants crawling all over my pouch, i shook it and lots of ants fell to the floor. Called for the helper to clean up, he calmly swept the ants away and said "it's normal". During the night, we used our luggage bag to block the entrance to the bathroom in case our toddler got up in the night. The horror came when we found loads of ants in the luggage bag the next day. No food in there. Had to sun the luggage bag for 2 days before we could use the bag again.

That night, my husband was up most of the night chasing away mozzies and bugs. The next morning, we found a spider in the bathroom, the size of an adult's palm. My husband takes a shower every morning, regardless how early or cold. But that day, he gladly stayed away and waited till our got to the next destination to shower.

As for breakfast, the banana pancake was just so-so. I have tasted much better panckes at Tegal Sari. We were the first at the breakfast area, but 2 other guests who came later had their food first. We could only conclude that we were served last as we were in Made's bad books. We were not given nixed fruits / juice too....only remembered after we stepped out of the place with half empty stomachs. Oh, the sugar pot had ants too.

The helper, Wayan, was very nice though. Thin but easily carried our 30kg luggage on his shoulder and walked all the way from the house to the mainroad without stopping. That was a good 10 minutes' walk by the drain. We gave him a small tip which we thought he thoroughly deserved.

In all, travellers, please avoid this place unless you want an outback experience.

• Stayed: November 2011
4  Thank LY72
balimitra, Owner at Nirwa Ubud Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2011

i am really sorry that you have bad stay in Our place .
In our web site say no room with air con , but they have fans .
We are located in Rice paddies , and the country side ,and now is raining season
some time ants coming up , especially if you bring food into the room is even more . about the gun is decoration gun , just laying down in open building , we never use it to make scarring to my guest , we must protect our guest
i think is normal ,if you book for 2 nights and than you want to check out early i ask some money ,as you tell us just the day before , if you do cancel at least
tell me about 3 day before , than i will not charge .
don't forget we leaved with nature in Bali ,
about the luggage is very heavy i can not work slowly
You didn't comment , how i wait for you on the street bring you bag to my place in the rain.

Reviewed 21 November 2011

I travelled alone from Singapore and was staying in Ubud for 2 weeks and Nirwa made the experience a memorable one. The family was very warm and open. Made was forever cracking jokes and Ayu was sooo motherly. I really wanted to make Nirwa my home. Breakfast was what I looked forward to every day. Ayu makes the best omelette ever. I really miss her breakfast plenty. Ayu was also very sweet and accommodation and would still insist on making me breakfast even though it was past the stipulated time for breakfast (I go for yoga in the mornings). Whenever there were ceremonies, Made would be sure to inform me in case I was interested. He honestly didn't have to but he did, and boy am I glad for that. Their hospitality and kindess really won me over.

Nirwa is a peaceful getaway where you dont hear the hustle and bustle of Ubud, where you can retreat back to any time of the day. Would definitely go back there again!

-Alex

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Alexandra P
Reviewed 19 November 2011

This was a great start to our holidays (2 families of 4) Made's nephew Norra met us at the airport and Made was still up and happy when we arrived late at night. It was lovely to have breakfast with Made and Ayu each morning. From the juice and pancakes to the noodles, everyone enjoyed breakfast. Made organised tours for us at good rates, with Bali Eco Tours (who provide great cultural additions to their tours). We really did feel sad to leave. If we are back in Bali we would definitely stay at Nirwa again.
Thanks also to Made's house cleaner who was always happy and smiling.
Colleen and Ian

Room Tip: Our kids are teenagers so we were happy for them to be quite separate from us
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank ColleenMiller
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Madde and Ayu were friendly, attentive and gave good advice on things to do. They served delicious breakfast, especially the green pancakes with banana.

The location were on the outskirts of Ubud, it was nice with the rice fields around, but it is 10 min walk to the center.

Rooms are located in a beautiful garden. They were simple, but cozy. It was nice to sit on the couch outside in the evenings. A little further out on the fields is a great organic restaurant.

One day we took a day trip with Madde, and saw the volcano, bamboo forests, temples, different types of crops, etc.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elias_Moberger
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Stayed at Nirwa's for 4 nights in June. After walking for a few hundred metres down a small alley (flash light at night a good idea) you get to Nirwa's overlooking paddy fields. It's quiet, clean and the owners are very nice and helpful.

The best part of Nirwa's apart from the peace, is that you can immediately slip away for walks through the paddy fields.

The all the attractions of Ubud are in easy walking, but being on the edge of the town you avoid the noise.

Made and Ayu are great hosts and I look forward to the day I return and spend some more time at their welcoming homestay.

Room Tip: Room No 1 has the best views of the Paddy Fields, though No 2 isn't bad either, and they both sh...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank dxmxnxc
Reviewed 25 October 2011

The place is quite isolated, therefore you will get some peace of mind. However, the view of the paddy fields was not as great as I had imagined it to be. The owners were quite friendly, and their son is very helpful. The weather at night is just gorgeous - cool.....

Now the thing was that there were so many ants around! I just put my bread for less than 5 minutes on the table, and before you know it was ALL fill with ants! So, remember not to put food around on the table. On the good side - it's near to nature that i could hear the frogs croaking the whole night, the insects and etc. However, there were quite a lot of mosquitos which had attacked us - so we had battlescars the next day.

If you are looking for places to walk about / eat at night, this place is some distance away to the eateries. It was safe walking at night around, but i do not recommend walking alone. Do bring out your flashlight as the pathway to the homestay is not lighted, and a wrong step will lead you into the irrigation canal. (I almost took a wrong step myself into the irrigation canal!)

The breakfast portion was not as big as other homestays, so just know that you may need to refill or eat something when you are out on tours.

A note advice - esp for newlyweds, if possible do not get the single bungalow as it's very "open". The top of the wall is not connected to the roof, therefore if you were having a lot of air in the stomach and you are in the toilet, people walking by will hear you.

Personally to me, the place has pros and cons, but weighing it out, I think it's too overrated and the price is not worth the value.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends