“Best part of my stay in Ubud”

Nirwa Ubud Homestay
Ranked #11 of 666 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Nirwa is an all around perfect homestay. When I first arrived, I was struck by the sheer beauty of the rice fields and the sounds of frogs croaking and crickets chirping and birds singing. As advertised, Nirwa is located just outside the center (and chaos) of Ubud. You can walk there in a few minutes from the center of town and then continue on if you like, for miles on paths through the rice paddies. Made and Ayu will treat you like family, cooking up tasty breakfast every morning and arranging activities if you like. Made is a great personal tour guide and will take you on set tours or you can make your own tour, all for a reasonable price. The rooms are spacious and spotless and cleaned every day. They all have fans, but not air conditioners, which are unnecessary since the evenings are not stifling hot in Ubud. Staying at Nirwa was the highlight of my trip to Ubud.

Room Tip: the upstairs rooms have views of the rice paddies, the downstairs bungalows are situated in a lovely...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 11 September 2013

If you're able to nab a room at Nirwa Ubud Homestay, you'll be in for a real treat. The family - Made, Ayu and Alit - are real gems and do everything they can to make your stay as comfortable as can be. I stayed here as a solo traveler for two weeks and I felt they took me in as part of the family during my stay. Before I arrived, I bombarded Made with all sorts of questions from safety to mosquitos to transport and he answered all of them, assuring me on my questions. They looked after me and the other guests in a way that comforted my husband and family abroad such as taking my local mobile number, asking me what I had planned for each day, connecting me with other guests, and making sure I was eating dinner (they can also be hands off too with guests). Made, Ayu and Alit are happy to help if anything is needed at all and do everything with such kindness from the heart and with humor. You will find your face hurting from smiling and laughing a lot.

Everything the other reviewers have stated I can attest to: the rooms/compound are clean, basic and beautiful, the fans are enough at night, making payment is flexible, there's a 5-10 minute walk from the road to the compound where you need to bring a flashlight, wifi is available though sometimes slow, kopi and tea are available at all hours to guests, and the breakfast rocks especially Ayu's pancakes. Also please note Nirwa Ubud Homestay is not a hotel. As someone who is afraid of bugs, there were hardly any in my room aside from the occasional ant and gecko, which you may even see in the hotel rooms!

With Ubud becoming even more touristy (there is a Starbucks right in the center already!), Nirway Ubud Homestay is a rarity of maintaining the feel of how the area use to be, tucked away in the lush green rice fields that are so peaceful and away from the hustle and bustle. It truly is something special and if you have the opportunity to stay with this Balinese family you won't regret it at all, in fact it was one of my favorite parts.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I had the great opportunity to stay with Made and Ayu at their lovely homestay last year when I took my mother on a two week tour of Bali. It was perfect...the family comlpex is tucked up in the rice fields...quiet but still a short walk to the center of town. Made was flexible and recommended some great day trips to suit our interests (he drove and gave us detailed info about places all over the island). Ayu was so sweet and cooked us the delicious complimentary breakfasts. If ever in Bali again, I will surely stay here. You won't regret it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank presently12
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We stayed at Nirwa during the school holidays for three days and felt very relaxed there. Our hosts Made and Ayu were lovely hosts and very welcoming. When I booked by email from Australia I was a bit nervous because Made didn't take a deposit and I hoped we would be collected from our accommodation in Benoa and have a room waiting for us. I had no need to worry, Made is a man of his word and his nephew collected us exactly as we had agreed and we had a pleasant trip up to Ubud. Arriving at Nirwa is an experience in itself as our luggage was taken on a wheelbarrow along the path to the home stay. We followed along the path beside a pleasant running stream and was greeted by Ayu at the house. The location is fantastic, just how we hoped it would be. Our room was upstairs at the end of the balcony overlooking the rice fields, couldn't have asked for more. The sounds of the frogs and crickets in the rice fields at night were a constant delight and we would sit on the balcony and just listen. The other path through the side gate took us straight through the rice fields, past ducks, a couple of small restaurants and was an opportunity to say "Salamat pagi" to local people going to work.
Our room, which was cleaned every day, was quite large with a double bed, a ceiling fan, mosquito net, and great views! There was a large but basic bathroom with a toilet and shower Please don't forget this is NOT a hotel. Made and Ayu do not live a life of luxury somewhere else, they live in their own room at the home stay with their teenage son. This is their home. One other thing to take into consideration is if you have difficulty with stairs ask for a downstairs room as they are quite steep! If you are looking for a home stay, Nirwa is a very good choice and Ayu and Made are warm and friendly hosts. Enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Dear Made & Ayu,
For once, we will dedicate our review to you. Thank you very much for your hospitality, We came for a very short trip in Bali with 4 days at Ubud and you were exaclty what we were looking for: Stay few days within a thruly Balinese family, got help to visit around, arranging spa, biking and rafting but also visiting around (Mount Batur...). Your homestay is close enough to Ubud center in order to walk and appreciate Ubud festivities but far away enough to avoid Ubud noise and have a good sleep. We will be very pleased to come back to see you.
Laurent & Sabine

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I stayed at Nirwa Homestay for 6 Nights and found the Homestay to be very good,The host were allways willing to help with any thing you were looking for as well as cooking a great breakfast and yes the pancakes are as good as every one says.
The location is great just a little stroll into the the village.
The view of the rice fields from my room was amazing and as i am a photographer i got many good photos of the area.
I was very pleased that my washing got done every day which was great as i did not have room in my suitcase for clothes as i had so much photography gear with me.
Ayu &Madi made me feel very welcome and i look forward to my return to this great home stay.

Room Tip: Room 1or 2 is the the best for views but in my opinion any of the rooms would be great as the views...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Rooms are very nice and clean. Location is great, because it is on quite place, but just 5 minutes walk from the center of the Ubud. The only bad thing about location is a dark, narrow passage to the homestay. Breakfast, which is included in a price, is also very nice.

Family who runs homestay is very helpful, pleasant and they can arrange everything for a resonable prices.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family