“Great Balinese people, wonderful spot!”

and 1 more site!
Nirwa Ubud Homestay
Ranked #14 of 602 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I spent 6 nights at this wonderful home stay with Ayu, Made and Alit. What a beautiful,warm, friendly family! Everyday Ayu had something special gift to offer me from her own Balinese meal, to a durian from the market and Balinese cakes! Made is great for a chat and the place is beautiful.
Just behind the home stay are ducks forging in the rice paddies and a lovely walk to restaurants, warungs and yoga venues looking out over the rice paddies. Then if you want the town experience you head down along the cool mossy walls alongside the irrigation channel, which has its own life..people bathing, collecting coconuts as they are washed downstream and at night beautiful fireflies.
I stayed in one of the downstairs rooms at first which was a little dark for me but then moved to the bungalow which has a great view of the paddy fields and the home stay's lush garden. At night you can watch balinese dances just down the road (Ayu sold us the tickets) and you can hear the gamelan. The Kecak dance didn't disappoint!
Ubud is certainly a lot busier than when I first visited 19 years ago but it still has its own charm and I am so glad I found this place to stay for its peacefulness and wonderful owners. If i head back to Ubud I'll definitely return to this place!!

Room Tip: Bungalow and upstairs rooms are good.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Jenni K
There are newer reviews for Nirwa Ubud Homestay

Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Nirwa homestay is an excellent homestay run by wonderful people. The rooms have no a/c but are spacious and on rice paddies with nice breezes, strong fans, and comfortable beds. It's quiet and just far enough away from town to be peaceful but never an arduous wall. The breakfast is delicious. The hosts are incredibly warm and helpful. I could not have asked for a better place to stay in Ubud! It was so good we came back for a second stay in our month in Bali. Perfect.

• Stayed: May 2014
balimitra, Owner at Nirwa Ubud Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear Luke & Lauren
Thanks for sharing your experience on trip advisor , i fell happy that you have good time during to stay with us in nirwa ubud homestay ,
i wish that every body fell the own home when they stay wit us . even far from home .
Thanks again ,hope to see you next holiday .

Reviewed 18 May 2014

This is a family that go above and beyond to ensure their guests are cared for, showing their guests so much hospitality and warmth, not to mention good humour (and amazing breakfast!!).

Arriving on a "diverted and lost" flight from Australia, I was 5 hours late (due to an emergency at the airport). I was certain that my hosts would not still be there to pick me up.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Alit (the son of the family) there waiting, holding a sign with my name on it and a huge smile on his face.
It was a wonderful greeting - he was so happy (and so was I!).
He had waited 5 hours, a true testament to the Balinese, and this family, who truly care for their guests.
I immediately felt relaxed and at home at Nirwa. I was in a top floor rice field room, and it was wonderful. Nothing can compare to watching the sunset over the rice fields each night, or waking to the sounds of nature.

The setting of the home stay is gorgeous. It is very tranquil and relaxed, and only a short walk into the main centre of Ubud.
I loved walking the path to Nirwa along the canal, as it always delivered a surprise as to what we would encounter. From locals zipping along on their scooters, to fire flies darting through at night, there was always something happening along the way. it may look unnerving to a solo woman traveler, but it was perfectly safe (and the family provide flash lights to use for your stay!)
I spent many hours walking through the magical rice fields located behind the home stay, and met so many friendly locals along the way. The hosts will help you with anything you need, just ask. There is no pressure selling of anything here, but nothing is too much for them to assist with.
My stay here was above and beyond my expectations, and I plan to go back on my return trip to Australia and stay longer, 6 days was not enough !
Magical place, wonderful hospitality, and remember, it is a home stay - simple and understated, and true to the Balinese home life. It is not a 5 star resort, although for me, it was so much better :)

Room Tip: The sunset view is incredible from the top floor. I would choose the same room again solely for this...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank EmmaH559
Reviewed 16 May 2014

..you want to feel like home, allthough your not at home? so go there..close to the center of ubud and still you are surrounded by rice fields..good breakfast, awesome tours and a super/very nice/funny/helpful/awesome/friendly family who runs the place..it was the best stay in our whole three weeks trip in bali and we've been lots of places,hotels and resorts..your are treaten like a guest from the family and there is always something to laugh and drink..i will defenitly go there again..!!!

Room Tip: all rooms are great..there are only for sleep
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
madesidemen, Owner at Nirwa Ubud Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Dear James/Jimi & solange
Thanks for your sharing your experience on trip advisor, i am so happy that you felling home when you stay with us , was that i want every body felling the home here .
i been have nice time with you here , we can drink together every night .
i all so happy that your enjoy the local food , during the tour .
Thanks again , i wish to see you for next visit ,

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I stayed one night at nirwa homestay and indeed the enviroment around the houses is quite nice very balinese style and no roosters waking you up in the morning.the family look friendly and try their best to make guests feel at home as much as possible,

room is quite huge so is the bathroom, very simple decorations but sweet gardens.but the shower is broken that i cannot turn it off, the bed is quite cosy and i did have a good sleep that nite. if i didnt have my accident it would be wonderful .

one regret was that due to the construction at the entrance of the small road leading to nirwa house,i fell into the gutterway just after i left my car, it would be so much luckier if the family could TURN ON the flashlight before we started to walk into the DARKNESS.all my belongings were dirty and wet that night, fortunately my phone and ipad still not ruined.i hurted my toes and knees badly and it ain't looking good with all the bleeding,the family gave me alcohol sterilizer and due to late evening i thought i could make it overnight.

the next morning it got worse actually,and after i left the house my driver asked around and found out there was just a Ubud Clinic at the corner of Nriwa. the doctor told me it would be much easier and better ,cheaper(they charged me 650,000 rp for the treatment which is almost twice of the nirwa room fee) ,less painful ( it is a pain indeed even till now i m typing this back in my office ) if i was checked in the hospital right after the accident.I DID hope the family had told me about the clinic (which is 24/7 btw) then i would not have to cancel my rafting plans and cyclying....all cancelled)

i have tried quite a few guesthouses and homestay over my trip in bali i have to say
the place is good and actually not so cheap to stay in ubud overall, and i think i am not going back there next time i visit bali.

Room Tip: no comments
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
madesidemen, Owner at Nirwa Ubud Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear Dan Danyelle
Thanks for your review for nirwa ubud homestay
I am so sorry that you have accident when you coming to stay with us , you coming to check in in the night ,that way we coming to pick you up from the Parking area , i know you alone & you have your bring bag , , i fell sad after that , you cancelled you cycling & your rafting . why i dont bring you to clinic in that night because too expensive ,if you stay here longer i will bring you on my doctor they much much cheaper . i dont want people think i makes money from that .i always tray to do my best .

Reviewed 9 May 2014

If you are looking for a simple accommodation with good value for money, where you can interact with a lovely local family and get to know their culture and habits, this is the spot!!

It was our best 3 days experience in our 2 weeks trip around Bali and Lombok.

Ayu, Made and Alit are an extremely friendly family, who will certainly do anything they can to help you have a wonderful time in Ubud and surroundings.

The rooms are large and individually built in a beautiful garden, where you can also find a lounge area. From the garden you have direct access to the rice fields, where you can start a lovely 2 hours walk through nature.

The breakfast is great, sitting together with the family, while Ayu prepares toasts, eggs, fruit plates, juices... But the highlight is definitely Ayu's pancakes - absolutely fabulous! I had often pancakes throughout the trip and I can tell you, these were definitely the best.
Thanks Ayu! One of the best breakfast - you're a cook!

Made, Ayu and Alit are absolutely prepared to help you out with anything!
We wanted to see some Kecak dances, but were not sure whether to go the same day or not... Ayu immediately opened her little drawer to solve our problem. She had a bunch of official tickets they can directly provide, so you are free to decide spontaneously if you fancy the show or not (you can always give it back), and you don't have to go to the ticket place.
We also wanted to visit other places outside of Ubud (the Holy Spring, a coffee plantation, the rice fields, the elephant park..). You just really tell them where you want to go and they personally take you on a tour. Thanks again Alit! We had great fun :)
Last but not least, we did not have anything booked to go from Ubud to Nusa Lembongan. So we asked Made for recommendations. Straight away he would sit down and research himself on his old computer to find the best offers. He ended up calling several providers until he got the best offer and everything booked for us. We got the impression those companies place a higher price online, than the price they set when a local books it.
Made, thanks so much for all your help! We had a memorable time at Nirwa....!!

Wishing you all the best and hoping to see you again on our next visit

Renato & Pippa

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PippaAG

Dear Renato & Pippa
Thanks for your review for nirwa ubud homestay , i so glad that your enjoy our balinese compound in nirwa home stay , i want to help our guest . if something i can do .
my guest in our friends . i so happy that all so you enjoy our menu in the breakfast ,

hope one day we meet again

Reviewed 7 May 2014

If you are interested in a homestay with a lovely family, living their balinese religion, sleeping in an traditional house, settled an amazing garden with many little temples and the paddy fields behind........book this place!!!!! We were there with our 2 boys (11 & 14 years) and we had a unforgettable time. The "day trip" around the island, to some interesting villages, temples and also the recommended "rafting trip" was great.

Room Tip: the higher the room, the better the view.....
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
madesidemen, Owner at Nirwa Ubud Homestay, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Andrea
Thanks for sharing your experience on trip advisor , i am so happy that you enjoy our Balinese compound here . and you have nice time during you here
Thanks again for your staying with us , hope to see you next holiday
we hope to makes better always