“D is for disappointing, dirty and disastrous”
Review of Dewa Bharata Ubud

Dewa Bharata Ubud
Ranked #467 of 614 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights. And 3 too many. Was not expecting much, but we ended up counting the days until our check-out date.
We had booked our room on booking.com and were given the bungalow by the pool.
Upon entering the room, we found a member of staff sweeping the floor in a hurry before we got there. Nonetheless, the room remained dirty, the bathroom smelly and the walls inhabited by a large population of spiders and other insects.
We asked for a different room and availed of one in the main building.
It was much better, at least at first sight.

The bathroom turned out to be as smelly as the first one, the shower head was broken and to top it off we went without cold water for 2 days out of 3. Meaning we only had a trickle of boiling hot water coming out of the-said broken shower head. Management said it was due to a malfunction of their water tank but no one came to fix it. I had to get my hair washed at a nearby spa and managed to shower using bottled water from the shop.

The bed was quite bad as well. I'm unsure whether it was due to it but I woke up every morning covered in small red insect looking bites and a rash.
The room had a fridge and a tv. But you couldn't use both at the same time because there was only one wall socket.

Management did not agree on giving us a discount for the 2 days we spent without running water. A bit disappointed to have paid for a service we did not avail of...

This hotel's standards are similar to those of a low budget losmen.
There are plenty of other places in this price range in and around ubud that offer
A clean bed, clean bathroom and good customer service.

• Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 26 April 2014

In our recent short holiday cum invitation to a Balinese wedding in Ubud, we stayed in this hotel. On arrival at about 10.00 p.m. we came to a very dark courtyard and looking not quite like the photos in internet, my driver asked me whether I had really booked this hotel because in all the years we holidayed in Bali, never before he took us to such weird looking hotel. We were "greeted" by a woman who gave us a blank stare and started yelling in Balinese to bring out a man who wore only an undershirt and sarong - such is the reception staff. He did not seemed to have any booking with my name until I showed him a copy sent by Air Asia (it was part of a package holiday hotel and ticket deal). I knew it was late, but this was really the first time in my life we were greeted in such a way, and the hotel claimed to be a 3 star.... So he sent someone to show the way passing through dark gardens and up the stairs....Once he opened the room, it smelled like it has not been opened for a while (room no.10), dropped the bags and gave the key. When checking I touched the furnitures and found dust. As we have no choice for the night to go somewhere else, I tried to make the best and started getting toilet paper and water to clean up a bit. Not a good way to settle down after a Jakarta flight and one and half hours of road trip from Denpasar to Ubud. Then I realised that there are no mineral water bottles, so had to go down towards the "Reception" area to ask for some. No towels either not even a small bar of soap . Sometime later came towels and water....The state of the towels are to be desired though clean. I took a shower and used my shampoo as soap that night. Getting into bed now... OOOOOOHHHHHH.... the bedsheets looked grey and the bedcover cum blanket smelled of sweat, and pillow smelled like sweat also. Oh la...la.... I got up again and looked for one of my clean clothes to cover the pillow in order to sleep. My daughter just slept on the clothes she wore because she was too disgusted with the whole set up. The next morning I woke up and found that the gardens looked actually quite nice and the swimming pool too, but just on the terrace of our room, a set of chairs and a glass table that must have seen better days and would have been ok if they have been cleaned and dusted. I found rambutan peels and lots of black ant on the table. That was when I decided to just pack and leave the hotel, but not before seeing what sort of food they will give in guise of "breakfast". We finished re-packing our things and went down to have breakfast.... Well, 2 pieces of toasts, cheap strawberry jams and awful tasting "butter", the kitchen staff were very noisy.... and they seemed to be "high" on something. There were a lot of banging of pans inside and loud talking inthere. There were 3 other guests, we looked at each other making big eyes but no comments. I went to the Reception and check ourselves out, I said the place is dirty and badly run, he gave me a blank stare and said nothing. Once our driver arrived we were just going into the car when I almost stepped on several dirty diapers strewn on the parking area...Eikkkhhh.... so disgusting. We cannot get away from this awful place fast enough. I think Tripadvisors should really be careful when rating this place. I think the Ubud tourist authorities should close this place. 30 minutes later we found a fabulous bungalows on Monkey Forest Road amongst the boutiques and restaurants at a price slightly higher but soooo much more comfy, professional staff and great restaurant. I will be reviewing on this one next.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Cileduk
Reviewed 17 February 2013

I should not complain much about the location and hygiene because all comes with reasonable price. Yes, it is a bit remote, takes about 30 mins walk to reach Ubud central. But the place is unique and serene, very traditional indeed. The garden is beautiful. I really enjoyed the atmosphere in the morning. The breakfast was decent, I'd had worse. The staffs are kind and generous, although sometimes I had to ask for water because they forgot to bring any. The only negative thing I could say is the hotel lacks of cleanliness. The bathtub I got was rather dirty and the room was rough, but I didn't have any real trouble with those. I think if they could fix the problem with hygiene, this beautiful Balinese hotel is definitely worth staying.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 March 2012

We have stayed here for the past three nights ( extended by one night ) and we are perfectly happy with it. Contrary to other reviewers we found the staff very helpful and attentive. The rooms are more than adequate with space, plenty of hot water , a large flat screen TV (which we never watched ), a nice pool ( cleaned every morning) and a more than adequate breakfast. The gardens are nice and it is quiet with large balconeys . I really don't know what people expect for the price. It is certainly old fashioned but to me that it a plus , rather than some tricked up hotel . We looked at 6 other places in the areas and this was by far the best.Not outstanding but perfectly adequate and would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Candidasa was a great choice to stay. Not crowded place, the beach and the seaside is beautiful. The hotels location is also very good, in the middle of the main road, but very quiet. The seafront room is very pleasant. You have view on the pool and the beach at the same time. The kitchen is also very good and not expensive. Would recommend for those who look for peaceful stay.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Hans H
Reviewed 22 February 2011

I just saw the past reviews and felt they were a bit unfair.
Yes this place is a bit rough around the edges but for the price is good value, with well kept grounds and a pool.
I had concerns from time to time and the boys here, though laid-back will always help you with any concern.
I have extended my stay here as I like the area , which has excellent warungs,( much cheaper than in town too) and have come to call it home. If you want a simple place with aircon and a pool away from the busy part of town but still within reach, this place is a good choice.
Though

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed 6 October 2010

Run-down, not-quite-clean, and smelly. Staff is completely lax and unresponsive - sometimes I felt invisible to them. The included breakfast is a joke. Bed's terrible. And quite a hike from downtown Ubud. I do not recommend

• Stayed: June 2010