“Paradise found”

The Samaya Bali Ubud
Ranked #4 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 6 December 2013

What an amazing place. Only 19 Villas set on the hillside. We stayed in an Ayung Pool Villa on the river with the sound of the rapids to greet us. The Villa is beautifully appointed, the private pool is fantastic (not just a tiny plunge pool) and the outside day bed and surrounding private garden sets the scene for a stay in paradise. The staff are wonderful and nothing is too much trouble. Choose to have your breakfast delivered to your villa to enjoy in your private garden or in the restaurant, same with the inclusive afternoon tea. We indulged in the Candle light dinner in our villa, the staff came ahead of time to set up a beautiful candle display, flower petals in heart shapes and a stylishly dressed table. The food at all time in the resort was exceptional. The spa is a treat, the setting tranquil and the staff fabulous. Can't rave enough, can't wait to go back. Thank you so much to all the staff at The Samaya, Ubud.

1  Thank Leonie G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,312)

Reviewed 4 December 2013

Let me say that I have been lucky enough to stay at great Hotels from Nice to New York, and Villa type arrangements from Mexico to the Caribbean. This place has surpassed all our expectations. The service, quality of it, the environment, landscape; everything is impeccable. Moreso, there is a genuine and totally consistent level of joy and enjoyment this business - from the 'drivers' to the managers - brings to the table; we felt like royalty from day one to the last. All the side attraction - the spa included - were fantastic.
The level of detail was incredible, and this place is so unique. A true paradise on Bali, and what a great respite from the ever more crowded and polluted tourist areas. Close enough to Ubud and the attractions - yes, a 24h on-demand shuttle included - makes this not just our #1 location on Bali, but one of our most favorite in the world.

Room Tip: Obviously, if you can, chose a river-side villa, and enjoy brekkie (or any other time of day) on you...
3  Thank Brataccas
Reviewed 29 November 2013 via mobile

Just arrived home from five nights at the Samaya. Staying in a one bedroom pool villa, I was stunned by the shear size of the room and it's private garden. But not only big, it was also beautiful.

Incredibly comfortable king size bed which is contained within a shared sleeping and living area which opens onto the pool deck. The bathroom is truly stunning with double mirrors and an incredible jacuzzi. A second flat screen TV is mounted above the jacuzzi if you desire in tub viewing.

The pool is not a plunge pool. It is a proper sized pool, larger than any other I have experienced in a pool villa. The surrounding garden is perfectly manicured and a wonderful double day bed can be found in the heart of this area.

The staff at the Samaya are without a doubt the best hotel/resort staff I have encountered. They provide a unique insight into the Ubud area and Balinese life. They are happy to talk to you about their families and they take a genuine interest in their guests. Nothing is too much trouble and I really enjoyed getting to know the staff. Not only warm and welcoming, they also work as a well oiled machine.

The Swept Away restaurant at the resort serves phenomenal world class food. We also did a cooking class with one of the chefs from Swept Away and I would definitely recommend this experience, which included an early morning trip to the market.

I have travelled to many corners of the world and The Samaya is definitely the most incredible, most professionally run resort I've had the pleasure of staying at. World Class!!!!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sime04
Reviewed 27 November 2013

My husband actually planned a surprise Birthday + wedding anniversary trip for me. It was my first time to Bali and all I can say is I was touched beyond words with the service rendered by all the good folks at Samaya Ubud Bali. The staff were all attentive and accommodating, and they really went the extra mile to make my birthday celebration the most memorable one.

It was just a one night stay and I wished we could stay there longer. With the tranquility and privacy of a villa tucked away from the hustle bustle of city life, I felt relaxed and comfortable. It was a good recharge!

The villa is huge, and the entire Samaya property was huge too! You can either opt to have a buggy arranged to bring you around within the property to the Spa (we didn't manage to try cos we went to the gym instead), Gym or Public Pool area which has a safety swimming float (which I think is very essential and all pools should have), to the gardens where they grow their own herbs and spices used for cooking classes, or even to the beautiful restaurants. The staff was always so friendly and smiley, I think I have never said as much "thank you" in a single day as I did at Samaya.

If you prefer to isolate yourself, you can stay in the villa the whole day since the villa comes with your very own private pool. It's fairly deep at 1.8m, so if you have kids and would like to take them out for a swim, perhaps you might want to take note of that. Other than that, it was good exercise for my husband as he managed to swim around for a few laps!

The bathroom is huge too with a TV mounted on the wall!! There's a built-in Jacuzzi tub with different modes and lighting function, two washing basins with daily amenities such as toothbrushes, combs, and what's more amazing was they also provided travel sized Listerine + Gilette shaving cream which was rather thoughtful as I haven't even seen those in the hotels I've stayed in various countries. I really love the bathroom cos they designed it in a way where natural light can shine in from the top, but with a piece of clear glass/acrylic, it fends the rain water and bugs/mozzies away.

They also provided umbrella, hairdryer, safe deposit box, bath robes, slippers, minibar and stuffs.

I've also noticed there were security cameras outside the villa for the safety of the guests which I thought was a bonus point since the villas were tucked in isolated spots.

We had dinner at the Scene Restaurant since Swept Away was unfortunately under renovation during our visit. However the view at Scene was equally spectacular in the evening, with candle lights lited, the magical blue sky overlooking the padi field. There's a choice of dining indoor, or outdoor alfresco style which we opted for. If you're worried about the mozzies, they also provide lemongrass minty spray to ward off the mozzies which worked pretty effectively for me.

The food was beautiful, service was excellent, and we were so full from our meal! I love the desert menu and wish I had more space in my tummy to try all of them! The chef also prepared a special birthday cake for me, and the staffs all came along to sing me a Birthday song. I will always remember the special day and how everyone made our experience an unforgettable one.

Thanks to Kadek Hartawan the Resort Service Manager and Putu Mahendra the Restaurant Manager who made the special arrangement together with my husband, along with everyone of the beautiful people at Samaya, it's been a paradise and we hope to be back again next time. (:

2  Thank Njerlyn
Reviewed 26 November 2013

I wasn’t sure what to expect staying here on my first trip to Indonesia. Met up with some business contacts and we had a successful meeting due in part to the hotel!
The hotel is very nice and clean. The staff were delightful, very friendly, helpful and accommodating- it is one of the best custom service hotels we have stayed.
The checks in staff are very helpful, friendly and well informed.
We stayed here for three nights and by day 2 the staff knew our names and addressed us by our name- a lovely warm touch.
The complimentary afternoon tea in our room was a nice touch
The room and bathroom is spacious and very clean. The room is well appointed complimentary water, fruit, & shoe shine service, coffee & tea facility, iron and ironing board in room.
The breakfast is very good- excellent choice if western & eastern food. The quality of the good was good.
The value, cleanliness & service at this hotel are excellent - The area is safe- we did walk around a fair bit without any incident.
Take it from this particular traveler...this place is a winner!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank F5993GMericd
Reviewed 24 November 2013

We spent only 2 days and 1 night here and it definitely wasn't enough. All the rooms come with their own private pool, and ours also had a large and lovely bathroom with a spa big enough for two, a little deck overlooking the river, and a cushioned hut to relax in outside, and the bed was very comfortable.

The quality of the food at Swept Away was excellent, as was the complimentary afternoon tea the staff set up in our room for us and there was lots of choice at breakfast. All of the staff were perfectly polite and exceptionally helpful for the entirety of our stay.

A great experience, I'd recommend it to anyone heading to Ubud.

2  Thank leilwyn
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Earlier in the year I was in Ubud, and although I stayed at The Samaya, in error I reviewed a hotel with a rather similar name. I can't say whether the one I didn't stay at is up to the rating I accidentally gave it, but The Samaya is really superb. I could only stay one night but it was absolutely perfect and is easily one of the best hotels I have ever visited. Go to The Samaya for the view, the food, the rooms, it's a little bit of paradise!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family