“Hidden gem in paradise”
Review of Swan Inn

Swan Inn
Ranked #302 of 622 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 September 2011

In April we kicked off a six month trip to SE Asia with a two month stay at the Swan Inn in Ubud, Bali. Very convenient to central Ubud, the hustle, bustle of Monkey Forest Road evaporated once inside the serene grounds.
This is a homestay, with bungalows of various grades and sizes located in a family compound. The family and staff were unobtrusive, most pleasant, friendly, and helpful, and not at all pushy in the selling of tourist activities and transport. Depending on your needs and budget - room size, type, privacy, and newness varies. Bungalows with kitchens are available.
While there, we rescued a tiny kitten on the grounds. Though the family was not obligated to take the kitten in, they did so, and further, found it a welcome home. Soon after, the woman who took the kitten stopped at our bungalow to introduce herself and to share photos of the happy kitten. A good story for all....
As we tend to stay long in our travels, management can sometimes make or break the travel experience. We plan to return to the Swan Inn which I think sums up our rating of this venue.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank eristone

Reviewed 21 July 2011

I stayed here for 7 nights with my boyfriend on our first visit to Bali, and cannot wait to come back again! Swan Inn is just a short walk away from bustling Monkey Forest Rd, and yet it is so quiet and peaceful. The location is stunning, and the family are lovely. Room rates are very reasonable. Waking up to a breakfast of fresh fruit and banana pancakes was an added bonus. We stayed in room number 3 for the first three nights and then moved to room number 4 as this room was much brighter and had a nicer view. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sulok90
Reviewed 9 January 2011

I stayed here for 4 nights over New Years and really enjoyed it. The location was fantastic, only a couple minutes walk from the heart of Ubud. It was also very quiet. I'd stayed at a few other places around Bali and kept getting woken up very early every morning by all the roosters outside my window (even sleeping with earplugs). Here nothing woke me up.
The room was simple but comfortable and included a light breakfast brought to your room every morning. Inside the room was a little dark at night, so I usually sat outside on the patio which had a brighter light.
I would say the only problem I had was one of the men who worked at the hotel kept asking me what I was doing that day or the next day. He wasn't just being polite, however, he was trying to push me into booking something through him so he'd get a cut. I wouldn't have minded if he'd just let me know that he could help me arrange transport or tours or whatever, but it felt like he kept at it and too much. You could see a distinct attitude change every time I told him that I didn't need anything. Other than that, though, the hotel was great.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank PissOrGetOffThePot
Reviewed 10 December 2010

I'm not into negotiation, but was happy to pay 150,000 rph. per night during the off season. I depended upon the wi-fi, which was reliable and fast enough to skype throughout my stay. (Not many other budget Ubud places seem to have this.) My villa was more than adequate, and the grounds were gorgeous.

The phone number is ---------, ask for "Handy".
E-mail swaninn2009@yahoo.com

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank monicamurphydvm
Reviewed 3 December 2010

right next to Monkey Forrest Road, but you will not hear the street at all. We had a house surrounded by rice paddies what was nice during the day, but during the might I had to use ear plugs because of the noises that frogs did :) Price includes the breakfast served right to the terrace – as soon as we woke up and opened the door someone was coming to get the order. It was quite easy to negotiate price by 40%. There is no swimming pool – with a small fee we could use one in the other hotel, like 20 meters from Swan Inn, but it would be nice to have one to use without any limits.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 123kejti
Reviewed 6 October 2010

My wife and I spent 5 nights at Swan Inn. We choose budget/midrange categories of accomodation. Swan Inn was one of the best stays we had in Indonesia (Bali, Lombok, Gili, Java).

The house we had rented was clean and spacious, located right by the rice terrace. Very nice patio in front of the house. Bathroom was clean even if a bit aged. The staff was genuinely friendly, not tour-pushy at all (which apparently can be a problem in some places around Ubud).

Location of Swan Inn is fantastic, a small alley very close to Monkey Forest road - close to everything, but also quiet. Our major concern in the evening was the frogs getting a bit too loud, not people, which is always a plus ;)

Breakfasts were served in the price of the room, quite big but with very limited options. Basically either banana/pineapple pancake or a toast with fried/boiled egg/omellette, plus a tiny fruit salad. It was well-prepared, simply boring.

What else? Wifi worked just fine. The prices are negotiable (but isn't that obvious?). Their swimming pool is actually that of Oka Wati, you just use it for a small fee (!).

I'm sure Ubud has lots of great places, but I'd be fine with coming back to Swan Inn.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chaetostoma
Reviewed 2 October 2010

I had stayed there for 5days and had a lovely time... relaxed, quiet, but always can listen bird singing & traditional music(gamelan) on evening...the comfortable room is bright, and it has the hot shower & bathtub & kitchen...the environment of rich nature,but the location is near from Ubud market...etc
we always feel good here!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo