“The best Indian food outside of India.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #200 of 714 Restaurants in Ubud
Price range: US$3 - US$8
Cuisines: Indian, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Authentic Indian home-style cooking. Best samosas this side of the Ganges. Delicious chicken and mutton curries, dal, rajma, alu gobi, and daily specials. Large selection of vegetarian and vegan dishes. Takeout and home delivery available.
“The best Indian food outside of India.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014 via mobile

This place was a real treat to find. As someone who has spent a lot of time in India and who's father grew up there, I am not often impressed with Indian restaurants. However, this cute little place in Ubud in Bali really did impress. The samosas were just right and the red beef curry (cannot remember the name on the menu) was just amazing. I highly recommend this place to anyone who enjoys Indian food.

• Visited May 2014

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Cormeilles, France
“A very nice place off the track”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

For our 6th stay in Ubud it was a very nice discovery and we had two dinner there. Of course it's not where you will eat real Indian food but the place is pleasant and the Indian/Indonesian fusion food is very good (if you like very spicy food like me just ask for more spice).The service was excellent and it's very cheap!

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Toronto
“Underwhelmed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014

I don’t understand the rave reviews. I’ve experienced Indian food in many countries and would have to rate this at the lower end of the scale, primarily for due to flavor or lack of. The dal is bland and I couldn’t even taste the curry in the chicken curry. It’s more like some Indonesian/Indian fusion thing.

The menu looks very old and limited. It’s confusing and really needs to be redesigned. The chalk board that lists the specials is so small it couldn’t list all the specials, needless and can hardly be read.

Next day I got into Singapore and headed straight for Little India and wow, what a difference. I’m bringing back some lentils and some masala spices because I know I will have to do it myself in Ubud.

If you are trying Indian food for the first time, this might be an ok introduction. But for those who know real Indian, you will surely be disappointed.

On the plus side, the waitress was very pleasant, the service very good and presentation was excellent.

In the meantime, Ubud is still in desperate need of good Indian food.

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TorontoJac123
Siti M, Owner at Warung Little India, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear TorontoJac123,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review for us. We are sorry to know you were disappointed with your meal.

We try not to make our food too hot, as we get so many people from so many places with very different tolerance levels for chiles. We are always happy to adjust the seasoning to your taste if you tell us.

We are proud to offer real Indian family style home cooking, which I learned to cook from the Indian families that I lived with and worked for over 20 years in Singapore, California, India and Bali.

We focus on lighter, healthier fare so we do not use heavy ghees, butter, or artificial food coloring to make the curry look red as they do in most traditional Indian restaurants.

We do not use the packaged curry powder that you mention, which may be the reason that our curry does not taste the way you expected. We make our own garam masala (a spice mix), with turmeric, paprika, cloves, cinnamon, black pepper, and much more. A curry describes any richly flavored stew. It can be made with packaged curry powder, but usually it is made with whatever combination of spices the chef wishes to use.

Thank you very much for your comment about our waitress and presentation.

We hope that when you run out of your spices from Singapore that you will give us another chance.

Best Regards,
Siti
glasgow
“Nice find”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

I went here as it was only a few doors down from my homestay.

The food was pretty good, with the samosas being the best bit. We got chicken curry and veggie curry, and although nice they were just missing that little something. Maybe they needed a little more spice, but we never got asked how spicy we liked our curry, so maybe mention if you like it hotter than the dulled down westerner taste.

Service was very good, although we were in there approx 35-40 mins and we're approached at least 6 times, and it started to get a little annoying having to explain everything was ok each time, whilst we were trying to eat. Maybe a quick check during the food and at the end would be enough, but if I'm being honest it was only a small detail, and the owner and what appeared to be his wife the chef, we're extremely kind each time.

I would say worth a visit, but just remember to ask to get a nice spicy curry, if that's your thing.

Pretty cheap too, 2 curries, 2 rice, 2 nan, 2 samosas, and 2 large bintangs for 200'000rp or approx $20 aud, is more than reasonable.

Broome
“Nice Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

This is a lovely little restaurant, good service, good food and a beautiful feel to the place. We would return on our next visit to Ubud.

Been to Warung Little India? Share your experiences!