Jiwa Damai Organic Garden & Retreat
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Ubud
See available hotels
Fivelements Bali Retreat(Mambal)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsyoga teacher trainingmother earthenriching experiencebalinese mealsmagical placeorganic foodspecial placebeautiful rice fieldshome away from homemargretpermaculturemeditationinternshipcoconutsoulpeacenature
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I stayed in Jiwa Damai for 5 weeks in February/ March 2013, as a volunteer there. At that moment, I was travelling in Indonesia for more than 7 months and I was looking for a quiet and peaceful place for my stay in Bali. Jiwa Damai proved to be just that: a resort that offered me the recovery I needed. Not to mention the fact that I truly enjoyed the activities I was part of as a volunteer.
The resort is beautiful, being very well taken care of. There are various types of rooms from which a guest can choose, including the lovely traditional balinese lumbungs. The gardens are really big and offer the perfect setting for a stroll during any moment of the day. I also enjoyed a lot swimming in the outdoor pool, which was the perfect way to end a hot day.
The staff were very friendly and always helpful with whatever you needed. They helped me understand a lot about traditional customs and celebrations in Bali.
I also appreciated very much the indonesian food prepared by the balinese cook and the fact that the fruits and vegetables were fresh, gathered from the own garden.
The yoga sessions held in the morning and the meditation sessions held in the afternoon made the experience even more enjoyable. They truly helped me relax my mind and my body.
All in all, I left Jiwa Damai promising myself that I have to come back as soon as possible. Because staying there was everything I expected and much more.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Ana M
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I stayed in Jiwa Damai for more than one month, from 11th of February till 17th of March, I was a volunteer there during this period of time. In the same time there was a Permaculture Design Course held on the location, for 2 weeks, so I was happy to help them with everything they needed organizing this event and also learn some principles from the workshops. I loved working in the garden and learning about all kind of local fruits and vegetables they had.

My experience in Jiwa Damai was amazing! I had a great time there and I learned a lot of things.
The staff was very nice, they are amazing people and very willing to help every time.
The food was delicious, very healthy and fresh. The place is great if you are looking for peace, quiet and connection with the nature.
I loved the yoga lessons in the morning, who where held by different volunteers during the time I was there - Jiwa Damai has a special area for this so I could go practice by myself every time I felt the need, which was great. The meditations held by Margret, the caretaker of the place, in the evening were an amazing experiment for me, very helpful and relaxing.

All in all, the experience helped me a lot to be more balanced, aware of my feelings and emotions, in touch with nature, understand different people from different cultures and their behavior in diverse groups and it gave me a great positive energy for all my further actions.
I have been travelling through Indonesia for 6 months already, seeing all kind of places and people and definitely Jiwa Damai is one of my favorite! Congratulations!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Cat_1516_1
Reviewed 9 April 2013

It was fantastic experience to discover this retreat center in such pristine and untouched environment. We had 2 workshops there with 35 Russian women (March 28-31st) and 15 women (April 3rd-7th). It was a beautiful space for all practices which we did, very quiet and intimate. The staff was very friendly and helping and the food was amazing. Margaret, the caretaker of the place, was inventing everyday something new to suite Russian tastes in food, and people were very happy about it) Would definitely come back there.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank kirnata
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Jiwa Damai - (March/April 2013)
I had the opportunity to work and stay as a volunteer at Jiwa Damai for almost 3 weeks.
All information I had prior to my arrival were from the internet, so I was very curious what would expect me.
As I soon realisied, Jiwa Damai is a place of peace, quietness and lovely, helpful people.
I worked in the green, very productive and diverse gardens and harvested various fruits and vegetables, that we had for the meals later.
The food provided in Jiwa Damai convinced me even more than I already was, of the quality and diversity of the balinese cuisine. Prepared with love, very diversified, fresh and most of all, almost completely from the own gardens.
A very interesting and enriching experience were the morning yoga lessons and heart meditations in the evening. Jiwa Damai for me presented the perfect setting therefor.
All in all I can say, if you are looking for a quiet and peacefull place to stay on Bali, with wonderful surroundings and people, Jiwa Damai is a perfect destination!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Queue66
Reviewed 5 April 2013

After an amazing 7 months working and living in Bali, I came to Jiwa Damai as a volunteer. I was hoping for a peaceful environment in which to work, contribute, learn, and also to prepare--physically and emotionally--for my upcoming return to the U.S... and I have to say, Jiwa Damai exceeded my expectations on all counts. My accommodations were simple, which was exactly what I wanted, and far better than other volunteer locations that I've been to in Bali. The staff was friendly and accessible at all times, always ready with a smile.

The property is incredible, with tons of fruits and vegetables growing all around... not a single meal passed that we didn't incorporate some produce from the garden, which I know to be true because I was lucky enough to be a kitchen assistant for 2 of my 3 weeks. The food is DELICIOUS. The kitchen staff works overtime to experiment with new recipes, always willing to accommodate the dietary preferences of the people staying there, always pouring love and care into preparing each meal. It is hands down the best Indonesian food that I've had since being in Bali (which is really saying something!) Working in the kitchen, I was given a heartfelt intro to the ins and outs of Indonesian cooking (with an organic, healthy flair) and treated like family. Other than that, I valued every moment that I got to spend there, whether working in the garden or office or simply having time to BE, to heal, and to learn.

The owner, Margret, allowed me to teach yoga every morning, and also encouraged me to participate in daily meditation. These sessions brought us together as volunteers, and gave me new knowledge and insight into--and appreciation for--my surroundings. We laughed, shared stories, and sat down to meals together each evening. I am truly grateful to her for helping me through a difficult personal time, for sharing her knowledge, and for encouraging me to share my knowledge with others.

While there, I helped clean and cook for a group of more than thirty women on a retreat, and watched each of them make a beautiful transformation. There is something special about Jiwa Damai--a beautiful, healing energy--and I feel lucky to have experienced it. It's quiet, not within walking distance of Ubud... so if you are looking to be immersed in that energy, it will probably feel too mellow. But for what I was looking for, for a chance to appreciate and give back and meditate and heal, it was perfect. Everything I was hoping for and more.

Room Tip: The lumbungs are gorgeous.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo