“A Place to Retreat”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Jiwa Damai Organic Garden & Retreat
Ranked #131 of 622 Speciality Lodging in Ubud
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Jiwa was a perfect piece of paradise to retreat into. The business and magic of Bali is vibrant and I enjoyed being able to come "home" to Jiwa to relax and reflect. We, Naia Project, brought a group of Yoga Teacher Trainees and people on retreat for 3 weeks. We were well taken care of. The food was great traditional balinese food. It felt like someone was sharing their home with us and we loved being apart of something that was giving back to the community.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank KelseyLawford

Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed at Jiwa Damai for several weeks as a volunteer. The grounds are beautiful, but many of the things are not as advertised. Volunteers do not stay in the rooms seen on the site, which I guess makes sense. They were not allowed to practice yoga with the group, which was very disappointing because it was the main reason I wanted to stay at Jiwa. The dogs petrified me from the start of my trip until the end of it. I was the only volunteer staying at the center who did not get bitten during the time I was there. I am a dog person, but I feel the dogs destroyed much of the intended feel of the place. There is nothing zen about three stray pack animals ferociously barking at your while you're walking in, going to the bathroom, gardening, eating, practicing yoga, etc. I have no idea why the owner hasn't gone to MUCH greater lengths to train these dogs so that guests and workers can have a more peaceful, comfortable experience.

There were several issues between the management and the volunteers during my stay. It made for very uncomfortable interactions, especially at mealtimes. I think both parties could have handled the situation much better, while also keeping in mind all the other people who were inadvertently affected by the uncomfortable situation.

The grounds are indeed beautiful. They are quite secluded from Ubud or other parts of the island.

It wasn't a bad experience and it wasn't a particularly great one. Now that I've returned, it all seems like a bit of a blur, and I find myself wondering, "Did that really just happen?"

Room Tip: I would definitely find out beforehand where you'll be staying because there are many different...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank TripperAdvice2014
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We brought a group of yoga students to Jiwa Damai and we stayed for 3 weeks. Our experience was pleasant and responded to our needs and desire to be in an eco-hotel. It is very interesting to see what all the work that is being done in the gardens to make the site as sustainable as possible. Rooms were clean, towel and sheet change when needed, keeping in mind to be environmentally conscious. Meals were traditional balinese and vegetarian for our group. The volunteers were very respectful and Margret was a great host.

We recommend the location to other groups although we would suggest making the stays shorter if the programs are intensive. Being right outside Ubud, Jiwa is also a quiet location.

Room Tip: There are many room options from budget to luxurious so everyone can be accommodated according to th...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I enjoyed every single minute of my time at Jiwa Damai, also organic food was amazing and people running this place are the best. I spent at Jiwa Damai more then four weeks and is really very nice place to by and the energy from this place you can fell every single minute.

With love Pavel

PS: they have best swimming pool ever

Room Tip: every rooms are very nice at the Jiwa Damai
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I attended a month long Yoga Teacher Training immersion program here. From head to Toe from Face To Soul, Jiwa Damai is a beautiful place. Aesthetically the property is arranged with function, form and openness in mind. The energy of the space is deep, spirituality flows naturally, self realization and healing are facilitated by every aspect of this amazing location. The staff has so much to offer, and I always felt loved and understood here, There are paths to walk, on premises or you can stroll around the village, with Ubud a close taxi ride away there is the opportunity to get into a more exciting atmosphere, but the peacefulness of Jiwa Damai is waiting for you when the day is done. Thank you all for supporting all of us through such a life changing experience. xoxoxoxo

Room Tip: I stay in the Lumbung. A nice climb up the hill and more private location. Beautiful rest happened h...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I just love Jiwa Damai! I facilitated a month long Yoga Teacher training at this amazing quiet space. Such a treat! A most magical, beautiful sanctuary. From the food, rooms, the permaculture garden, lush gardens, pool, fire pit.... Utterly peaceful. The place itself is built with water element surrounding the dining hall and living spaces, with fish swimming in it. Great energy. They also make there own natural dried fruit products, like mango, jackfruit,organic coconut oils. Just delicious.
A place of the heart. A must visit. A haven for the soul!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank AnitaSundaram
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I just spent 6 weeks at Jiwa Damai doing an internship program I need for my studies in physical geography to the University in Germany.
It was a very strong experience - from developing my project and applying it in the permaculture garden to all the other aspects I learned about:
All in all it was quite an important experience and a learning on many different levels: climate, local culture, tropical environment, permaculture, working with people from Bali, England, America very mixed up. Another benefit that Jiwa Damai offers: yoga in the morning and heart meditation in the evening. It kept me fit during the time of the internship and stabilised/supported my mind by adapting and processing that which had confronted me. All of this learning was in addition to the skills I gained in relation to the hospitality industry.
Margret and Stephanie done great supervision and Made - the kitchen fairy cooked themoste delicious meals with our garden vegetables.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business