“Great location”

Ranked #60 of 557 Speciality Lodging in Ubud
Regina, Canada
“Great location”
Reviewed 10 October 2011

The location is only 5 minutes taxi ride from Ubud but it is also in a very quiet location in the rain forest. The staff are friendly and helpful. The room was very large with two beds and a fantastic extra large balcony where we could sit at the table in the palm tree tops. The included breakfast is minimal. The rooms were clean but the shower took a while to drain (Balinese plumbing?). The pool was clean and pleasant.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank travelfarandwide_13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Rockingham, Australia
Reviewed 7 October 2011

..firstly we must start by saying that although we had some criticism of this hotel, we did enjoy our stay ..and the location is excellent to walk to Ubud Village & the Monkey Forrest

..a section of the main road to the Bucu View is a rough dirt track, together with a very steep driveway of some 240 mtrs to the bungalows [not the 80 mtrs the sign suggests], which we feel is not really suitable for most mature aged travellers

..we found all the staff including management full of smiles & most helpful ..the gardens are very pleasant, and the pool clean & refreshing

..the rooms themselves are basic but pleasant, we booked the "deluxe room" but found the views restictive, with the outside terrace cramped & uncomfortable seating ..after some discussion we secured the "family room" which overcame most of these issues, plus gave us a shower recess [preferred rather than shower over bath] ..but the bed(s) was exceptionally hard
..although if fitted with a lounge sofa bed, instead of the present 2 big beds would make the room more versitile & relaxing, and suit both couples & families [one for management to ponder] ?

..the "superior rooms" offer better valley views, although rice paddy views as described are abit of a stretch of the imagination from any room type

..the rooms are basically clean & tidy, although shower screen etc could've done with abit more of a scrub

..breakfast was very very limited, yet fresh & tasty ...things such as nets over beds not available all rooms & free drinking water etc as represented are not forthcoming unless asked for "daily"

..although Ubud may not have the charm of days gone by, it is still worth afew days stay over [best seen after all the day tourist are gone]

Room Tip: ..Ubud and the surrounding area offers many attractions ie good base to visit Kintamani ..also some...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Barry A
Le Lavandou, France
Reviewed 16 May 2011

stayed in a lovely quiet little house overlooking the jungle and enjoyed every minute...
i was lucky to only have a few rain showers and was not bothered by the short distance between the hotel and the center of Ubud..(5 minute walk)
great place to relax after being in traffic all day on my bike shopping around and exploring....
beautiful setting and a very enjoyable swimming pool.
there are a few places to eat if you don t want to go far and if you are looking for peace and tranquility with nice helpful friendly staff ,this a nice option. ;-)

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank zali213
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 25 December 2010

I booked into Bucu View for a long weekend, having only seen their website. For a start, the location is not central in Ubud, with quite a long walk up Jl. Bisma to their entrance, and then perhaps another 200 metres down and up their entrance drive. This make things rather inconvenient during rainy season when you need to just go out for some dinner and it's pouring rain.

This sort of leads into their website and the misrepresentations I encountered. For a start, the site says that there is a "snack cafe", which certainly would have helped when it was raining and it's a long walk to Ubud. I asked about some food and was told there was no food service apart from bread and eggs for breakfast.

Their site also also specifies wifi, which there is, but the signal is not present in the room I was in. Maybe not a big deal for some, but sadly I had to get some work done.

I was booked into a "deluxe room" which the website states includes a mini-bar. Wrong again...there was no mini-bar, fridge, or even glasses in the room. When I enquired with the staff, they told me there was supposed to be a fridge, but it was broken. There was also not even a bottle of water in the room, so I asked for at least a couple of bottles of water and a glass and I was told there would be a charge for that. Mind you, I was paying US$65/night, and they could not even provide complimentary water? Yes, the room did have TV as stated in the website, but it included only about five Indonesian stations.

While perhaps not a huge deal, I thought the rooms were rather spartan, and my room (a downstairs room - there are not bungalows) had no view of any sort. It simply looked out to the vegetation, which isn't bad, but certainly not what I would call a "view". Perhaps I understand now why their website includes very few photos of the rooms.

So considering the lack of facilities that were promoted in their website and a general disappointment with the rooms and value for money (hitting me up to pay for bottled water?), I informed the staff that I would find another place and check out. I hadn't used the room or even unpacked, but when I returned in an hour or so at around 15:00 after having some lunch and finding a new place, I was requested to pay for a half day (US$32). I found that to be the last straw, particularly since they had few guests and had certainly not turned anyone away.

All in all, I found Bucu View to be the most disappointing experience I have ever had in Bali, and that is after more than a dozen trips there. From the misrepresentations in their website to the money-grubbing attitude, I would never recommend this property to anyone.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo