Open today: 08:00 - 22:00

Book in advance
from
£40.00
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Ways to Experience Lobong Culinary Experience
from £40.00
More Info
All reviews family compound local market cooking class balinese culture local ingredients highlight of our trip balinese home bali trip dishes indonesia
Selected filters
Reviewed 23 November 2018 via mobile

This is hands down one of the best excursions I’ve done in all my travels. Starting with a market tour, we explored a local market far from the tourist areas where we learned about daily life and local ingredients. Arriving at the family property we learned about how Balinese traditional properties are organized, had a welcome tea and snack and then began cooking. We learned about techniques, ingredients and recipes. We chopped, stirred and cooked the entire meal under the supervision and assistance of the family. Before sitting down to eat the meal, we took part in a traditional offering ceremony in the family temple donning traditional sarong.

If you like to cook, eat or just want to learn about daily life behind the walls of a family property, then this is the tour for you

1  Thank Aimee E
Reviewed 23 November 2018 via mobile

You are met at the local market (note: not tourist market) by your host and are taken through the stalls stopping at some of the local delicacies, including some of which you will use in your cooking.

You then head back to their stunning family compound, which will host your class, and are offered refreshments. Here, your host will chat to you about typical life in Bali.

Then onto the cooking in the covered outside kitchen. The chef greets you with a big smile and quickly gets onto showing you your raw ingredients. The next hour or so you'll be shown how to cook a delicious traditional meal from scratch. I'm not a lover of cooking but enjoyed every minute. We were in a group of 8 with 3 being vegan and 2 requesting no spice and the hosts were very accommodating to our needs.

Later, you sit down in your group to eat your meal with your selection of refreshments amongst the birdsong and luscious grounds.

Overall, I would highly recommend cooking with this beautiful family in their beautiful home in Ubud.

1  Thank G8483YXadamt
Reviewed 19 November 2018

We did the Lobong Culinary experience our final day in Bali, but my wife and I both regretted that we didn't do it our first day, as our hosts provided a wonderful introduction to not only Balinese cooking, but also a fascinating exploration of Balinese culture and family dwellings. We started the day in the village market, with no other Westerners in sight. Our guide took us to sample some of the fascinating Balinese fruits (snakeskin fruit, mangosteens, etc.) and to see how some of the ingredients and spices we would be using are sold. Next, we ventured to the beautiful Lobong family compound (very close to the Mandapa hotel), which was full of traditional structures, serene gardens and fountains, and a fully operational outdoor kitchen. It was a very hands-on class, with chopping and cooking all done by the students under the masterful instruction of our head chef. The family spoke terrific English and really helped explain the meaning of many of the special foods we prepared, and they highlighted the role that food plays in Balinese worship and family. Our guide's mother conducted a temple offering using some of our food, which was a very special ceremony to witness. The food itself was spectacular, certainly one of the best Balinese meals we enjoyed. It certainly provided a sense of appreciation for the enormous work that underpins the preparation of Balinese food, and gave us a new appreciation for the complexity of this cuisine. It was a fantastic experience that I would highly recommend. My only minor criticism is that the kitchen could benefit from some more overhead fans, as during the rainy season the humidity in the open air kitchen could be quite oppressive (I felt like I was sweating buckets--thankfully there were many wash-up sinks nearby).

Reviewed 16 November 2018 via mobile

Oh my gosh. What can I say except WOW!! We LOVED this! What an experience, we were educated, feed and experienced the friendly Bali people. I am lost for words. The food was delicious, great vegan and vegetarian options. So greatful to the Lobong family.

Reviewed 18 October 2018 via mobile

As Filipinos, we are accustomed to providing hospitality to other people...we are not too different from Balinese families. Sang Made and Chef Dewa -our hosts, together with their family, welcomed us warmly into their lovely home to learn their culture and tradition by walking us through their architectural traditions, religious offerings and rituals and of course, their culture through the Balinese way of cooking. Arriving at Made’s family compound, we were greeted by Chef Dewa with hot coffee and tea paired with Pisang Goreng or banana fritters. We were then brought to the southern leg of their compound where the kitchen is located! It was interesting having to experience this with different nationalities... each one had their unique reaction towards Balinese food. I, for one, thought that they were going to be too pungent. surprisingly, even with less seasoning, all the food were very rich but with the perfect balance of flavors....One thing I’ve learned today...before forming an opinion about something, you really need to experience it first-hand so as to give it it’s due place! I’m just really happy I got to do this before heading back home..it’s considered as being one with the locals. Learning their culture is another way of showing respect. Thank you Sang Made, Chef Dewa and family for your hospitality! Matur Suksma 🙏🏻#balinesenasicampur #slowfood #localfood #traditionalcooking #lobongcookingclass #ubud #bali

Date of experience: October 2018