Open today: 08:00 - 22:00

Book in advance
from
£40.49
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
Ways to Experience Lobong Culinary Experience
from £40.49
More Info
All reviews family compound local market cooking class balinese culture local ingredients highlight of our trip balinese home bali trip dishes indonesia
Selected filters
Reviewed 27 February 2024

This was a great way to spend the morning and enjoy authenic balinese food. the day started with a short drive to the markets. There we saw all kinds of fruits vegetable and even roasted pork. We learned as we walked, little things that all add up to understanding the culture a little better. We learned the names of many different to me types of fruits and got to taste them too. I even learned the proper way to open a mangosteen.

After the markets it was back to the family compound. We learned the significance of the door and the offerings and met the people who would help us with our meal. Our host and helpers were all very kind, helpful and hospitable,.

We got to help cook but many things had already been prepared. They kept offering wonderful treats starting with very good banana fritters called Pisang Goreng and tea or coffee. Then it was time to work. We chopped and pounded and mixed and stirred while learning about the ingredients and methods. Our spice grinder was local black volcanic rock with a unique pestle,a ulekan, and a grinding motion that took some getting used to. Luckily one of our helpers finished what we started in a matter of minutes.

While the food cooked we got to try a refreshing Jamu Kunyit. and then relax and enjoy lunch and it was delicious! We got all the recipes for our yummy lunch so that we can try to make it at home. Great memories a cultural experience! Thank You to Sang Made and the family

Date of experience: February 2024
lobongcooking, Manager at Lobong Culinary Experience, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2024

Dear SuecW3 ,

Thank you for your amazing review. it was great to have you in our home and so privilege's to share Bali food and culture to you.
we wish you the very best and hope to catch up again in the near future for another great Balinese culinary experience.

warmest regards

Reviewed 22 February 2024

The best cooking and cultural class of my life!! I already lived in Bali for one month in the past and had been in Bali for my second time for two weeks already, but I learned so many things I didn't know about in just my few short hours with Sang Made and his sweet family. I highly recommend this experience (it's truly and experience not just a cooking class) if you want to learn more about Balinese food and culture.

Date of experience: February 2024

Dear darac2 ,

Thank you for your great review. glad to hear that you had enjoyed the culinary and culture experience. our strong commitment to share the genuine Bali . we hope you could be able to duplicate the recipe at home and share Bali food to your friends and your family.

all the very best to you from our family

best regards

Reviewed 1 February 2024

What an amazing day learning about Balinese life, family, religion, culture and food! My wife, sister and I met our host at the local farmer’s market at about 8am, after the real rush of morning business, to learn about the various fruits, vegetables, seasonings, herbs, etc., used in Balinese cooking. After our tour of the market and small purchases, we went to our host’s family home and we spent the day preparing an appetizer soup, entree and dessert. After the ritual offerings at the home temple, we had a lovely meal and enjoyed our various creations. We highly recommend spending a half a day if you have any inkling that you’d like to learn more about Bali and the Balinese people!

Date of experience: January 2024

Dear hitendp ,

thank you for your amazing review. happy to hear that you had enjoyed the culinary experience. we hope you could be able to duplicate the recipe at home and share your Bali food memories to your friend and families.

wishing you a great day from Ubud Bali and hope to catch up again in the near future for another great Balinese culinary experience.

best regards

Reviewed 19 January 2024

Learning to cook dishes I enjoyed during my visit to Bali was one of the highlights of the trip. Our chef was wonderful and the visit to the local market was amazing. I’m excited to use the recipes to cook clean and delicious foods using fresh ingredients instead of the prepackaged spices. I also enjoyed learning about their beautiful culture and traditions.

Date of experience: January 2024
Reviewed 9 December 2023

The Lobong culinary experience was a joyful and thorough experience that covered the rich culture of bali in a traditional home through their incredible food. All of the ingredients were explained in detail and were fresh with a majority of them being home made and home grown. The food we were introduced to was exceptionally unique and tasty and unlike anything offered by bali restaurants we had visited. Sang Maday was a brilliant instructor who made the evening enjoyable and educational and was happy and knowledgeable to answer any of our many questions. The session also included insight into their life and culture with a tour to their home Temple which was very interesting. Overall I rate it a 10/10 as it depicts Bali's rich culture perfectly with their delicious and unique food.

Date of experience: December 2023