“Very warm Family Feel and cheap”

and 1 more site!
Gunung Merta Bungalows
Ranked #208 of 620 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 May 2013

My friend and I love this place. We stayed 2 nights here. It's really lovely. It has wonderful gardens, polite kind people and the owner is good in speaking English (not easy meeting one speaks English well in Bali). The owner Even invited us over her baby girl's traditional and special bday celebration. We enjoyed ourselves so much. It's really Beautiful memory. However only three disadvantages, no many electrical ports and the bathroom was very old and water flow very small. But these dont affect our holiday mood at all.

• Stayed: November 2012

Reviewed 3 April 2013

After cartransport from Denpasar we arrived to this oas not far away from the noisy street. We relaxed in the pool or on the own balcony. The family and staff took very good care of us.
Near risefields nature ATM possibility to walk to artmuseum and royal palace

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bikupa
Reviewed 22 March 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 4 nights with my boyfriend and we couldn't believe how grand the place was especially for the cheap price. We had a cute little two floor room with a king size bed and a prayer/meditation room upstairs. There is a new pool which was delightful on hot days. The family are friendly and welcomed us into their home. They organised drivers and food deliveries for us without any hassle. The place is about a 10 minute walk from the centre of Ubud which was fine for us as we enjoy a little more peace and privacy. There's a supermarket and ATM across the road which we found very convenient. Oh and get the banana & coconut pancakes and papaya juice for breakfast they are delicious! Would definitely recommend to friends and family who don't want to spend as much and would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I originally was going to stay only 3 nights, but I liked the hotel so much, I extended it an additional couple of nights. Why? The staff is very nice and helpful. The hotel is in a traditional Balinese compound and is very peaceful. The garden is also beautiful. The pool at the back of the compound is very nice. I had a couple of small problems (toilet and wifi) that the staff accepted responsibility for and immediately corrected. This is a budget accommodation that far exceeds expectations. I can't imagine why anyone would not enjoy their stay here.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We stayed at Gunung Merta for 3 nights (7-10 Feb). When we got there, simply we said wowwww cuz it looks like a temple with really huge and nice garden. When we arrived there, we got our welcome drinks. Gold bintang beers… It was really good after long trip :) There is a small pool for fish that makes u relax when u watch them. Staff was really cute, gentle and friendly. Every night they asked us what we wanna eat next morning for breakfast. You just simply choose from the menu (as I remember there were 3 options: Continental, American and Indonesian) and next day u see it is done already. The very best thing is you can choose where you wanna eat your breakfast. There is small place in the garden if you want u can eat ur breakfast over there OR you can take your breakfast at YOUR OWN BALCONY !!! It is completely adorable... They prepare your breakfast and bring them to your balcony. When everything is ready, you hear ` Good morning, your breakfast ready` :) It was just perfect for me. When u eat ur breakfast, you also enjoy great forest view. May be this is only one thing I will never forget about…

You don’t need to tell anyone to clean your room. Every day they arrange everything.
Gusda is very cute guy. Whenever we asked sth or needed help, he helped us. The most important thing he is really cute and always smiles. If you need driver, he can also arrange it for you.

Actually we got two different drivers. Sorry I can not remember their names… Our first driver took us from airport. He seemed nice to us but the second day no, he was not. Actually he didn’t do anything wrong to us or behave rudely toward us but the point is you really need to force him to go where you want. From the beginning of our trip, I just told him we especially wanna go Pura Taman Ayun (Royal Temple of Mengwi), cuz I read so many comments about it and nearly everyone says it is the most beautiful temples in Bali. Anyway… He told me it is very far away and takes 1.5 hours to go there. At first time I said ok but after visiting other temples and important spots we still had time too much but he just wanted to get rid of us. We really felt like this… We told him again again and again, finally we got there. And it was not very far away and didn’t take 1,5 hours to go there at all. Because of the traffic jam, it took time for sure but just the most 30-45 minutes. Also entrance of some temples you have to use scarf. And normally there are so many people who try to sell u scarf. He just left us between them when we were walking all together and smoked his cigarette at one corner and watched us, enjoy… He didn’t help us about anything. At least he should have told us, this price is very expensive or I can bring u somewhere to buy this stuff…etc. After we bought sth, we always asked how much did we pay for it, and then he told us it is very expensive. Really ??? I wish I could remember his name to tell you, really sorry about that. For the second driver, we didn’t spend that much time like the first one. He can easily say he is really cute, gentle and funny. He makes you laugh continuously.

There are so many geckos on ceilings. I really didn’t know that some of geckos make sounds  It was funny and attractive for me Generally they are small but one night I saw the biggest gecko in my life, I haven’t seen such a big gecko… The head of it was really really really big and the first time I saw it I really got afraid of it :) But that’s normal cuz you are in nature…

I can say 3 negative things about Gunung Merta

--- Bed sheets and towels smell… I don’t say they are dirty, may be because of the humidity but even in sea sides of Bali I didn’t experience this. So in my opinion they need to take care of it…

--- Bathroom is not clean. I highly recommend they need to clean it regularly with powerful detergents. And they don’t put shampoo. Just very small soap…

--- They need wash curtains and mosquito netting regularly...

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gokcece
Reviewed 16 February 2013 via mobile

We had a great time in Gunung Merta, the staff is amazing, really friendly people! They arranged a wonderful cycle trip for us and some transport, for great prices! The Balinese family house is beautiful, close to the centre of Ubud but it still feels like the countryside.
Rooms were fine and clean, breakfast offered a lot of delicious options.

The only negative thing we can think of is that they just installed a new water pump and that thing is pretty noisy. It is also not working properly, the water pressure changes all the time.

But even with this malfunctioning water pump I can really recommend Gunung Merta, it really is a lovely place!!!

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 28 January 2013

From the moment we walked up the front steps, we knew this was a great choice. The service was excellent -- very attentive and friendly. The property was beautiful, with a very local feel. The bungalows were charming, with great views off the back verandas -- perfect for sitting with friends as the sun sets. Great location for most attractions around Ubud. Tasty, relaxing breakfasts by the coi pond. The host provided invaluable assistance in arranging a driver, airport pickup, etc. All in all, a wonderful homestay, and I would return there in a heartbeat!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends