“Our favorite activity in Ubud!”

Chez Monique Silver Smith Class
Ranked #2 of 60 Classes & Workshops in Ubud
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Expert silversmiths teach students how to fashion 10 grams of silver into jewelry.
Seattle, Washington
308 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 419 helpful votes
“Our favorite activity in Ubud!”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My husband, 5 kids (ages 6-16) and I were staying in Ubud for 10 weeks and decided to try out Chez Monique's Silver Smith Class the first week, after reading about it on TripAdvisor. We absolutely LOVED it! In fact, we had so much fun, we did 4 more classes during our stay! Wayan and the staff at Chez Monique are terrific and worked hard to ensure that each person's project came out successfully, each and every time. My daughter (age 13) made 6 rings over her 5 classes, each time taking on a more sophisticated design and more complicated processes. My sons (age 16 and 12) had fun making silver ice axes for pendants and gifts for their grandmothers. Even my twin 6 year-olds took a class one week and made pendants of their favorite stuffed animals. We also had 10 friends visit Ubud and had them come to a class as well. They all enjoyed it...men and women. I would HIGHLY recommend Chez Monique for everyone!!!! It is fun for kids, teens, men and women!

Visited June 2014

Accra, Ghana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“I went back for more!”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Wayan has a smile and positive energy that lights up the entire compound. He and his team are artisans pleased to pass on their craft. Come with an idea of what you would like to make, and then peruse Wayan's pictures and samples to really get what you want. You are the artist here. Wayan's team will support you every step of the way, from drawing your design to the final touches, but this will be YOUR work of art - one you will love forever. The environment at the studio is warm and loving, and so much fun as everyone shouts for joy at their pieces. I had so much fun and loved my ring so much that I went back the next day to create another.

Also, Wayan's silver shop has some of the most creative and original pieces that I saw in Ubud. If you are shopping for silver, make sure to go to Chez Monique.

2 Thank dancingobroni
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Make this one on your list”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I went along to meet Wayan and his lovely wife, Monique with my friend, who said it was something she was recommended to do. I am so glad we went. Not only were Wayan and his assistant, Eko, an absolute delight to meet, but were so relaxed and patient, encouraging and helping where needed. I surprised myself in the end at the quality and workmanship, and I did much of the hands on, from the free-hand template to cutting it out with the saw. My design was inspired by the incredibly large gheko (25cm long, no kidding) above my bed in my accommodation. Symbolizing, luck, love and fertility! Free coffee, tea and water were on hand and very clean facilities. Wow, what a fabulous experience! I highly recommend going and meeting Wayan and making something for yourself as a wonderful keep-sake from your adventures in Bali.

1 Thank meladventurine
San Francisco, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Fun day making jewelry!”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My 9 year old daughter and I had a fun time making silver jewelry here! You can create *anything* you want, and they offer many design ideas. The staff was eager to help us with any hiccup. My daughter was dying to go back, but unfortunately, time didn't allow it. Highly recommend!

1 Thank christine r
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“A unique bali experience”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Firstly I am sorry for taking so long to write this review. We had a great afternoon with Wayan and his team at his compound in Ubud. When we arrived we were shown examples of jewellery that we could make. I had a couple of ideas of my own so I started to sketch them. Luckily I was told they were possible to make so we began the process of cutting out the designs in silver - I was not very good at this but the patient skilled staff were on hand to help me. Throughout the process we received help when we needed it but also had the freedom to do as much as we could by ourselves.

It was a really fun afternoon, as the only couple in the class we enjoyed one to one supervision. At the end of the class we had two beautiful and unique pieces of jewellery. We went to the shop to buy a chain for my pendant, Wayan then offered to fix the chain to the pendant and delivered the complete necklace to our out of town accommodation the next day.

Wayan was a lovely gentleman who happily shared his skills. We would love to visit again. Thank you for helping us create beautiful pieces that we are often asked about.

Visited March 2014