“A stay like no other!!!”
Review of The Samara

The Samara
Ranked #24 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 20 November 2012

We are always ready for a refreshing new find, be it food, locales or stay and Samara provided us just that. Unique, dreamy and splendid little Samara is an absolute compliment to Ubud. We had made a conscious effort to stay away from Kuta, the crowded beach paradise to choose the more obscure countryside. What better than Samara to add fun to our holiday, not to mention how much it reminded us of our own ancestral homes in the South of India We wished we had stayed longer. Service at the Samara is top notch, beginning with the attractive and affable owner, Yudi. She has made sure her good nature has permeated all levels with her guests enjoying all the hospitality. The Villa is situated a km from the city centre, the path leading to it is an absolute delight to tread, a cemented road resembling a walk of fame and a narrow path up to the villa by foot or scooters provided by Samara, is such a welcome departure from the routine and mundane. Surrounded by paddy fields and nature at its best Samara provided us the perfect paradise for our holiday home. The villa is cozy and comfortable and personally loved the outdoor shower, adds value to the nice little cottage. I would suggest one to go for Villa 5/6, away from the Restaurant and for privacy and also make sure travel arrangements to the Villa are taken care of in advance if one is venturing out after dark. Grateful and blessed!!!

Room Tip: Do ask for Villa 5 or 6, its away from the Restaurant and noise
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Priyasdomain
There are newer reviews for The Samara

Reviewed 13 November 2012

No doubt about it. Excellent place to stay. I can only recommend this hotel.
Book this one, you won't regret it.
Just do it! Just do it! Just do it! Just do it! Just do it! Just do it! Just do it! Just do it! Just do it! Just do it! Just do it! Just do it! Just do it!Just do it!Just do it!Just do it!Just do it!Just do it!Just do it!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Geert J
Reviewed 11 November 2012

The Samara is one of the best hotel experiences I've had. If you came to Ubud for its peace and tranquility, this compliments the theme very well. It is right smack in the middle of the paddies and there is almost no barrier between the paddies and the compound except for some short hedges, so you could literally laze by the pool and watch farmers tend to their crops.

The location is superb. No roads within 400 meters, with only a hiking path large enough for a moped to pass through. So the air is fresh, and there is no traffic noise. The only sounds you are likely to hear would be ducks as they move around in the paddies. Yet, it is not too far from the center of the city. Its a 20 minute walk, or a 2 minute moped ride. I rented a moped, which I recommend if you are confident in handling the bike. Otherwise, rent a bicycle. That being said, there is some construction of probably another villa going on in the distance, so you may hear the occasional knocking of wooden panels, but only because the place is so quiet.

The hotel compound is tastefully decorated and kept in a pristine conditions. You'll never find stains anywhere, not on your sheets, not on the walls. It looks like it has a new coat of paint just yesterday. There is just 6 villas, and I'm always able to use the pool on our own, so it felt like a private pool villa. I really enjoyed the pool, especially in the afternoons after a long day touring. A very nice touch is the complimentary afternoon tea, where you are served an assortment of freshly baked pastries. If you are swimming, you could have it by the pool, really nice.

Despite being in the fields, there were very little bugs. Not one mosquito bite I got, even at night when I'm out there sitting by the pool looking at fireflies (yes, its magical) and taking pictures of the stars.

The staffs outnumbered the guests. So service is impeccable. I could feel the genuinity in their service. The receptionist arranged for my moped, gave me travel ideas and arranged in very short notice (15 minutes !) a day trip for me with the hotel driver at a very competitive rate. I ended up using the driver for a transfer to Legian as well. I must highly commend the hotel driver "Rai". Although he is just a driver, even on the airport to hotel transfer, he told many stories along the way and took us to the famous Ibu Rai for lunch, as I informed him we are a little hungry. On the day trip 2 days later, it felt like having a friend bringing me around. Always looking out for both me and my partner, and taking us to very local places that showed the true Bali culture and life. He made the experience truly exceptional.

One thing that may interest you, WIFI ! They say WIFI is available only in common areas, but because the compound is not that big, I could get WIFI in the room. I'm staying the at the 4th villa from the reception.

All in all, it was so wonderful I wanted to cancel my hotel in Legian to extend the stay, except that the cancellation charge was too much to bear. Good work Samara !

Room Tip: Rooms further away from the lobby are more private, villas 5 and 6 do not have their front facing th...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2012

From the moment we stepped into the Samara we knew we had made the right choice.
Everything about this quaint property was amazing!
It was very hard to leave such a tranquil serene place and we will certainly return as soon as possible but I advise to all , book early as soon this property will be booked out for months ahead as more people hear about this magical place.
Only six stunning rooms so its like having the place to yourselves.
The entire staff and owners are so inviting and a more helpful bunch would be hard to find.
Arriving on scooters was the start of our best holiday.
The rooms, outdoor showers, pool, rice fields, restaurant and staff are all 5 star.
A huge thankyou Yudi and Stefano and all the staff for making our stay with you a true pleasure.
Cant wait to visit again and see that huge smile on Made's face.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 November 2012

This was my first time in Ubud and it was a fantastic experience. The location of Samara is perfect, along a wonderful little trail which runs through rice fields in the countryside, but at walking distance from the city center. It's a new and elegant property, well integrated into its surroundings, the rooms are great and the staff is really friendly and careful. After staying in the chaotic Kuta, we finally found paradise!
The resort has only 6 rooms, very clean and with a huge bed and all comfort included. And the open area shower, in traditional Balinese style, is so lovely! Breakfast is included, and there is choice of continental, american or Indonesian. Having a big breakfast in the morning, overlooking the rice fields, was a fantastic experience. Samara also has a classy pool, lounging area and a fantastic Italian/Indonesian restaurant (try the Tiramisu, is incredible!)
Finally, the hosts, Yudi & Stefano, are simply fantastic. They don't interfere with your personal space but they really make you feel home.
The best place in Ubud, and one of the best places in Bali.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2012

Enchanting is probably the word that best succeeds in expressing my experience at resort The Samara.
The strategic location, close to the center, and at the same time away from the traffic helps give the holiday something magical, rice fields, beautiful walks, the staff friendly and willing to accomodate you.
The rooms are clean and equipped with every comfort, the bathroom is gorgeous and the mattress is better than that of my house!
Yudi, the owner, is always friendly and smiling, gave us a driver very professional and took us all day to discover the beauty of Ubud.
At the end of the evening we also enjoyed a wonderful massage at the spa recommended by The Samara
The restaurant deserves a good grade 10!
I can only advise to go, I will definitely be back!

Room Tip: all rooms are in a very good locations.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Booked direct with Yudi via email for 7 nights based on TA reviews. When we arrived (after being picked up at the airport by Ray), Yudi and Stefano greeted us and gave us an overview of Ubud and some recommendations. Yudi and Stefano are wonderful hosts and manage a very professional group of staff. As cars can't travel the last 400m to the Samara you need to walk or jump on the back of a scooter; we walked everywhere and didn't use a car for the duration of our stay (the Samara is very central to ubud and surrounds). The villas are clean, spacious and come complete with cable TV, fridge, safe, outdoor shower and wifi. There are only six villas in the complex; everyone introduced themselves and minged (which created a community like atmosphere of travellers). We had #5 which was perfectly situated opposite the lap pool. The Samara is located amongst rice fields, we really enjoyed hearing the ducks and roosters whilst we ate breakfast and seeing fire flies at night over a few G&T's. Seeing the farmers go about their daily routines tending to the rice made me realise just how hard they work. The restaurant on site is fantasic and offers good choice; we ate dinner on 2 occasions and found the food to be of a high standard and delicious; this was a real bonus and was like having your own personal chef. We look forward to visiting Yudi and Stefano's new restaurant in central Ubud when we return in January. I must give special mention to the staff; all are very professional and always willinging to assist (so friendly and personable) - they really helped to make our holiday special. Love John & Terri

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple