“Loved it!”

Bali Eco & Educational Cycling Tour
Ranked #24 of 216 Outdoor Activities in Ubud
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Cycle downhill through rural roads, plantations, fields, and rice terraces, inhale the fresh air, feel the unique spirit and feel the magic of rural Bali. This full service day trip includes pick up and drop off in most parts of Bali. It includes a buffet breakfast at The Lookout Restaurant in Kintamani, with an amazing view of Mt Batur and Lake Batur, as well as a brief stop at a coffee plantation to taste local coffee and spices. A splendid feast of Balinese food awaits you at the end of the tour (some guests say this is their best meal in Bali! The cycling sure builds up a healthy appetite).
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

Awesome day. Really good breaky and lunch. Soooo good. Good way to see bali. Really enjoyed the coffee tasting! And our guide Henry was so good! Friendly helpful funny and informative. The other guide and driver were good as well but can't remember their names sorry! The biking is all down hill so dont expect a workout, so it was perfect for me :) you dont get all hot and sweaty. Definatly recommend!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,724)
All reviews
in 27 reviews
"great guide"
in 45 reviews

Reviewed 30 July 2014

We signed up for the Mt Batur volcano sunrise trek after reading good reviews about it on Tripadvisor, hence I feel the need to share my experience here with fellow travelers.

Overall, I would say the tour went alright but I think that there is still much room for improvement for the tour before it deserves an honest good review:

1) There were 6 of us who made it up to the summit that morning while a few others gave up midway. Once we were at the top, the guide came around asking us if we wanted tea or coffee. Now, our itinerary clearly states that it includes tea/coffee. In fact, it was one of the selling points for the tour on their website, "Our breakfast is the finest available: juice, fruit, eggs, bread, jam and tea/coffee and it is included in the price (so you won’t be paying exorbitant prices for food on top of the mountain - another advantage of having our guide accompany you)." So naturally, we ordered a cup each, it wasn't anything great just a tea bag in a cup of hot water. However, much to our dismay, our guide then told us that we had to pay Rp 25.000 each for the beverage because he bought the drinks from someone for us. May not seem much, but we all felt cheated afterward and it left a very bad aftertaste. So much for not having to pay exorbitant prices and the advantage of having an accompanying guide!

2) IMO, our accompanying guide didn't really do a great job in making this an enjoyable experience for all of us. Half the time, we didn't know where he was, in fact I couldn't even remember how he looked like because we barely seen him around (except when he showed up to extort money from us for the tea and coffee). Most of the time, we were left in the company of some local guides (who I must say did a very good job in making sure we made it up and down the mountain safely), but hey, I could've just saved the money to be paid to the accompanying guide sent by the tour company and tipped the local guides more generously instead since they did all the hard work.

3) Our itinerary included a visit to a local Balinese plantation which I was looking forward to because I heard a lot about the Coffee Luwak. However, much to our disappointment, after we made it back down from the mountain we were sent straight back to our respective hotels. When I asked the accompanying guide about it, he said the plantation visit was optional and the rest of the group opted not to go for it. Of course, I wasn't too happy about it because (1) he certainly did not ask me nor my husband whether we would like to visit the plantation; and (2) by that time the rest of the group had been dropped off at their hotels so I had no way of verifying what he said was true. I have a feeling that he told the same lie to everyone within the tour group separately.

Fortunately for us, the weather was glorious and we had a clear view of the sunrise, which made the whole trip worthwhile. But having said that, it was more of a matter of luck rather than good organization on the part of Bali Eco Cycling.

2  Thank gilavern
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The Bali Eco and educational cycling tour was a great day out and allowed us the opportunity to see some of the real Bali. The cycling itself was easy - all flat or downhill, we hardly even needed to pedal for most of the tour. The bikes were well maintained and the trip was well organised and good value.
The tour included an amazing breakfast overlooking the volcano, a trip to see how luwak coffee is produced, a walk in the rice paddy fields and an opportunity to look around a family home. We even had a chance to have a game of footy with some local kids. The lunch at the end of the ride was delicious.

Highly recommended.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

Pick up time was 30 mins late, when it's the difference between 7am and 7:30am that makes a huge difference. Was told we would be back by 3pm which was also not true. Guide was not very helpful in selection of bikes (we had a couple beginners with our group). You don't actually start cycling until 3+ hours into the tour. At every stage just felt like it was just like every other massive tour operation - constantly running into other groups. I would pay more for a more private tour next time as I feel like it was poorly planned and nothing special.

2  Thank misshur