“Variable depending on therapist...”

Tamarind Spa at Murni's Houses
Ranked #4 of 197 Spas & Wellness in Ubud
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Luxury Travel Guide Awards 2017 - Winner of Contemporary Spa of the Year – INDONESIA Like most people Murni gets stressed, so she built a spa.She called it Tamarind Spa at Murni's Houses as it sits elegantly under a tamarind tree in a private, peaceful Balinese building in the charming, tranquil gardens of Murni's Houses. Murni has impeccable fine arts credentials and is passionate about the beauty of Balinese art. You will delight in every room and enjoy Murni's famous collection of Balinese and Asian works of art.She designed the spa around a unique concept, creating not just a relaxing healthy, healing experience but also an artistic experience.Tamarind Spa welcomes everyone with exquisite flowers, fountains, tranquil surroundings, soothing aromas and calming music, all served with a generous portion of Balinese hospitality. De-stress, tone up, heal aches and pains or simply, just pamper yourself. We are 5 minutes walk from the center of Ubud. You just go up the ramp opposite Pura Dalem on the main street of Ubud – left at the top and 2nd gate on the right. Please email for the Spa menu. There are a number of spa packages on the web site.
Hanoi, Vietnam
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Variable depending on therapist...”
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

My Mum and I went to Tamarind Spa today and had very different experiences with our 2 hour Balinese massages. My massage was blissful - good firm pressure, skilful strokes and a lovely experience. My Mum's massage was unfortunately not so good - a seemingly inexperienced therapist with significant amount of time spent on her calves (not a problem area for her!) and not much time on the other areas of her body. So she was disappointed, especially for a two hour massage.

The surrounds are lovely and, although the prices are more expensive than some other spas, they are still very good compared to back home (Australia).

Another unfortunate turn was that the credit card facilities didn't work because of phone line issues (something which had apparently been an issue for days but which we weren't told about when we booked our massage earlier that day) so we had to scrape together the 1,000,000 rupiah in cash - something we hadn't intended needing to do. Although this was not the fault of anyone at Tamarind it was still a bit frustrating; we suggest maybe bring cash just in case so you're not caught out like us.

Murni W, Owner at Tamarind Spa at Murni's Houses, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for coming to Tamarind Spa. I've read your comments, as I do every night with every guest, and they were from you: Best Massage i've had in Bali so far, absolutely lovely, thank you Widi, and from your mother: Enjoyed the surroundings and treatment very much, would come again. I am delighted that you both enjoyed your time, and especially that your mother would like to come again. I'm sorry about the confusion with the credit card machine, which is all over Ubud. They were doing major works on the telephone lines and it resulted in an intermittent fault. Sometimes they worked, and sometimes they didn't. I'm sorry if my staff did not mention this to you when you booked. They usually mention it, but I think when you booked, they were particularly busy, as you probably saw, and perhaps they forgot. I hope that you can both come again, as your mother wished, and enjoy your time in Bali. Murni

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fabulous spa experience”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stumbled on this spa after having a terrific meal at Murni's Warung (highly recommend!). We got 60 minute reflexology, which was fabulous - sitting outside in such a beautiful, tranquil place. We came back the next day for 90 minute balinese massage. My massage was excellent - she really knew what she was doing. (By the way - she asked me what level of pressure I wanted and checked in with me a couple times). I felt extraordinarily relaxed after such supreme pampering. The setting is just gorgeous. The staff is extremely friendly and skillful. I highly recommend this spa.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Spore-Mac
Murni W, Owner at Tamarind Spa at Murni's Houses, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
I'm really delighted that you had such a good time at my restaurant, Murni's Warung, and then my spa. I'm happy that you were able to come back twice. Thank you for highly recommending both the restaurant and spa. Murni
Singapore, Singapore
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Great Spa Experience”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We had 2 sessions on different days of reflexology and aromatherapy massage . Both were excellent . The therapists were great , very professional . This is not a glitzy hotel type spa , if you are looking for that this is not for you , however if you want a friendly , professional , hygenic environment that gives you a sense of tranquility and beauty Tamrind is highly recommended .

Visited May 2014
I'm very pleased that you had a great spa experience and came back twice.and both were excellent It's marvelous to hear that the therapists were great . Thank you for highly recommending us. Murni
Aalborg, Denmark
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Memorable, but not for the right reasons”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We both had a 60 minute balinese massage. Welcoming staff, clean facilities. The massage itself was acceptable but nothing memorable; and for my part, it probably should have been somewhat gentler. Having not had a Balinese massage before, I did find it slightly (albeit not uncomfortably) rough, but was still surprised to find a large bruise on my right arm the next morning - I do not bruise easily. I did recall my skin being pinched against the mattress by my male masseur at one point. This small accident did detract from the experience. We wouldn't go again, especially considering the (for Ubud) relatively high price tag.

Visited April 2014
Thank you for visiting us. I see that you've never had a Balinese massage before. It's fine and a wonderful experience for most people as you can see from all our reviews. I recommend next time that you try a Relaxing or Swedish massage, which may suit you better. Murni
Darwin, Australia
“Relaxation supreme”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The Tamarind spa was located at my accommodation. There was a constant stream of people attending the spa including myself and my 2 other travel partners. The staff at the Spa were friendly and efficient. The massage was everything I needed, my masseuse was excellent, hitting all the right spots. Over the following 5 days 1 of us was at the spa every day. From the Balinese massage to the deep massage, the reflexology and the relaxation massage, we all felt wonderful and blessed to have this in our backyard.

Visited April 2014
Murni W, Owner at Tamarind Spa at Murni's Houses, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you for staying with us. I'm delighted that you all enjoyed your times at the Spa so much. We're looking forward to seeing you again. Murni