“Same but different”

Ranked #270 of 543 Ubud B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Same but different”
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed here a few times about 5-6 years ago when it was under a different name. It's the same owner and family that owns and runs it. They still remembered me after all these years. The area has gone through some changes and the prices have doubled. It's a great place to stay if you are looking for traditional Balinese guest house. It isn't a hotel but competition in Ubud is fierce now so it could be a bit below standard to some.

What does make it so nice is the location. Very central, located among rice fields, off the main road. It's a bit of peace from the chaos. I've only stayed in the top rooms which are airy and spacious. There is a big king sized bed on pedestals and traditional wood carvings everywhere. A private balcony with a thermos of hot water to make tea and coffee whenever you like. They change it all the time so you have fresh cups and hot water. Pretty nice, I think. There is a good sized pool as well. Breakfast is good especially the coconut banana pancakes, served whenever you want it on your own private balcony. The staff are really helpful and can arrange transport and anything else one might need. I don't know why other reviewers say the owner snoops around. That's not true at all. He is around placing incense and offerings throughout the terraces of all the rooms only in the mornings. After that, I never even see him, he's super busy. Maybe to some that is "snooping" but it's Bali and that's how they live their lives. The staff is also always cleaning and sweeping the property. They respect your privacy but it's a guest house in Bali among rice fields. The family live on the property, you will see them.

There's been a lot of building around so I would stay here as soon as possible before the views of rice fields disappear. This was one of my favorite places I've ever stayed anywhere.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Island_Paradis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Noisy, dirty, terrible breakfast, mosquito nets useless, water in tub smells of sewage, near very busy area clogged with traffic, sheets caked with detergent, pesticides in surrounding fields, pool water very dirty, toxic smoke from burning trash on both sides of hotel, petty overcharges on bill, manager snoops, not friendly.

Room Tip: try elsewhere
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank curriec_13
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Had a great stay here with my partner. Beautiful rooms with a nice view. Breakfasts were nice and enjoyed on our personal balcony. Nice pool as well! Bathrooms could use an upgrade but it was a minor point and we'd stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Initially I booked 2 rooms at Hibiscus Cottages but they checked us in here. It is slightly further in.

Bathtub doesn't have handle might be slippery for older people. The fan in our room is away from the bed and putting down the net blocked air ventilation. Middle of the night it was too hot to sleep and we have to move our sleep under the fan and mosquitoes are buzzing around. But the rooms at the lower floor wasn't the same case according to my family.

I was quite baffled by the bathroom's upper opening as it doesn't have any window merely a piece of curtain and while bathing in the bathtub I was shivering as the wind gets in and it doesn't help that the water wasn't warm all the time. So I pushed the curtain outside so that it will block some wind coming in and that felt a lot better.

I personally love the mini garden upper floor, roomy bedroom, the smiley people, the big bed the rustic bathroom and the view, basically everything other than those mentioned above. It feels really relaxing staying here, there's a mini pool too.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

This was our favorite place in Bali! It was a lovely walk through the rice paddy to a beautiful setting. Our view from the room was spectacular. The woodwork in our room and throughout the hotel was amazing. The family was warm and inviting and the food delicious. I definitely would stay here again ,

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Perth
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We lived in the deluxe room over looking the paddy fields. The room is of a good size with a lovely courtyard where we had breaksfasts.The breakfasts were delicious and varied.Ample teas and cofee served. The staff were friendly and went out of the way to make our stay comfy. The pool was not very clean but had great views. The showers did not have hot water most days. There is no TV but I was happy without it. There were a lack of toiletries and we had to ask for it most nights. It was basic but clean.No air-con but a lovely breeze when you open the windows. Delightful for nature lovers.Location was central to the main street where the action was with plenty of things to do.

Room Tip: A room that is facing the pool:
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ozkalpana D
Saratoga, New York
Reviewed 18 August 2013

I usually stay at Bali Moon Guesthouse in the Jalan Bisma area, but they confused our reservations on my last trip. Since this is quite typical in Indonesia, I wasn't surprised when they said their brother owned a guesthouse that we could stay at. I was shown to Ala's Green Lagoon (directly behind Bali Moon, 2 minute walk) even though it was late at night.

The staff at Ala's was very accomadating and even gave us a better rate. The room was big and clean. It had a great view of the rice fields and the surrounding village life. Another plus was the beautiful little garden patio we had outside our 2nd floor room. We ate breakfast there each morning, which was included. I really liked the pool which isn't a commonplace in Ubud.

Overall the staff was friendly and the guesthouse was perfect for the price range. The owners even helped us arrange transport to north Bali. We were happy with our experience at Ala's Green Lagoon. I would come back to stay and recommend this guesthouse to friends.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends