“Excellent”

Il Giardino
Ranked #43 of 828 Restaurants in Ubud
Price range: US$5 - US$15
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The magic of Bali, the flavors of Italy. Wood fired pizza, handmade pasta and the freshest of ingredients set in the beautiful water garden of Han Snel Gallery in Ubud, Bali.
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Beautiful setting with a lovely pond by the restaurant and 2 ducks, one with a very strange haircut!! The entrance is down an alleyway so could be a bit difficult to find or not inspire confidence as to safety. The immediate pathway entrance was lit by candles and was very attractive indeed and reassuring.
The food was delicious and it was good to get away from Indonesian food just for one night.
It is slightly more expensive than some restaurants on Indonesian standards but it is worth the money and still not expensive on Western prices.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Had 2 meals here. Really yummy pasta. Great staff and service. Lovely atmosphere with the pond and 2 amusing ducks. Will definitely eat here again.

1  Thank Anne T
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We found it very difficult to find the place, since the tag on the map is incorrect, but it was so worth it when we finally did! The setting was beautiful, we sat beside a pool with ducks. The food was delicious and the staff were excellent. Worth taking the time to find the place.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

We decided to eat at this restaurant because of a flier we received. It was late after a cultural dance performance and we just wanted some decent, non-Indonesian food.  We almost turned back because it was off of what felt like an alley, which was off of the main road. I am happy we didnt because we thoroughly enjoyed our meals. There is plenty to select from, even for vegetarians, which I am. I ordered a spinach homemade pasta that was delish (so much so that I ordered it again when I returned)! The other 2 people also enjoyed their meals too. They ordered a pizza and pasta. A pepper infused olive oil is served with the pizza. I saw no sambal in sight. I wasnt able to finish my pasta the first night and so ate it cold, from the fridge, the next day and it tasted even better. The restaurant also gives complementary pita with a pesto dip and water. Seating is next to a pond that houses 2 ducks. So watching the ducks was rather entertaining. We enjoyed the restaurant so much that we went back a few days later for my birthday for which I was given a free dessert.

The staff were very friendly, funny, and attentive adding to the experience. They made sure that our waters were always filled. One thing that stood out was that as I was leaving (on my birthday) the staff wished me a happy birthday by name, which made me feel good.

The restaurant is slightly pricey as compared to others we ate at in Ubud, but the food and service were great! I would definetely return if ever in Ubud. I wish they had this restaurant where I live.

1  Thank 3caballeras
Reviewed 2 July 2014

My mother and I ate dinner last night at Il Giardino and had a wonderful experience. We decided to try it out based off of a very good lunch at Three Monkeys Cafe (same owners) and its idyllic setting. It is tucked a bit off the main road in Ubud but still very easy to find, just turn right before the Starbucks at Pura Taman Sari. The walk is actually quite pleasant and a nice break from the busy main road with lots of little homestays and warungs. The restaurant itself is situated around a lotus pond and surrounded by a well-manicured garden. We ate their on a very rainy night, but it did not spoil the setting. The staff was well-trained and very attentive without being over-intrusive. We ordered a bottle of white wine and were pleasantly surprised that the staff took their time and insured that the bottle was the correct drinking temperature, as wine can often be served a little too warm when traveling in tropical climates. I ordered the spinach tagliatelle while my mother ordered the penne al tonno, both were delicious large portions. Overall the restaurant made for a highly enjoyable night.