“Good value & good location”

Inata Hotel Monkey Forest
Ranked #137 of 538 Speciality Lodging in Ubud
Maroochydore, Australia
“Good value & good location”
Reviewed 10 September 2012

For the price I paid I was very happy with the Inata hotel.
My only slight complaint is about the check in process. The lady checking me in took a while to find our names on her list. I had booked & paid in full for 3 rooms & I was worried at one point that they were not booked but in the end it all worked out. She also questioned if I had paid a deposit or not & I thought she should have been able to see it was paid in full.
Apart from that rooms are great value, good location if you want to be close to monkey forrest, shops & restaurants. Friendly helpful staff & breakfast was good too.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
New Zealand
Reviewed 25 July 2012 via mobile

I spent last night at Inata, and will return again on Friday. The standout for me, is the staff. Every one of them knew my name, greeted me by name, and wore genuine smiles filled with warmth.
The rooms are very clean and maintained, and it is a lovely location if you want to be amongst the busy town centre.

• Stayed July 2012
Halifax
Reviewed 18 July 2012

In the perfect location in Ubud, about 3 minutes walk from the Monkey Forest. Very idyllically quiet and relaxed. The staff are very polite even by Balinese standards. The breakfast was the best breakfast I had on my entire trip to Bali. It's a very close approximation of what an American Breakfast should be.

The people that designed this hotel are absolutely full of style. The hotel very much achieves its obvious aim of being a quiet little oasis in the heart of Ubud. We had no noise complaints whatsoever. Swimming pool was gorgeous.

The reason, however, that I cannot give it a 5 is that unfortunately the rooms do not smell very good. They have that damp musty smell that some cheaper hotels have. I personally didn't care too much but my wife and many other people probably would.

It's an absolute shame because otherwise I would say this hotel was basically perfect.

We stayed July 14 to 16.

Room Tip: staying on the ground floor means you can walk out your balcony to the pool in seconds.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Thomas B
Ballarat, Australia
Reviewed 20 June 2012

Loved this place, will stay here again for sure. Everything was clean, the staff were lovely & the hotel is fairly new.

• Stayed June 2012
Cranston, Rhode Island
Reviewed 18 June 2012

I stayed at the Inata Hotel for 11 nights and loved every minute of it. I had a second floor room with it's own little veranda and a beautiful room that was clean, comfortable and quiet. The hotel is quite new and so the room was in excellent condition as was the tiled bathroom. There were fresh flowers placed by the tub each day and the cleaning staff washed every spot of the place. The Inata is a great place to stay not only to walk most of central Ubud but as a home base for venturing out on tours to see the rest of Bali. The 'rice paddy" view is not really anything special but I was not there to sit on my patio, I was there to see Bali.
But the staff are what make the place a real delight to stay in. There are smiles everywhere and you are made to feel as a special guest. After just one day, the breakfast staff would great me by name and take the time to talk with me - each and every day. I was made to feel as though I was a special guest. Wayan, who oftentimes sits behind the desk, was tremendously helpful. Each day he would help me arrange for the various things I wanted to see, be it to see dance each evening, or to recommend a place for a spa treatment or for cooking classes. It seemed that no matter how many questions I had, he would patiently would help me out with a smile.
This is a great place to stay in the center of Ubud and I would go there again.

Room Tip: I like the second floor even though it was a little more money - well worth it.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank dgfwk
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Myself and my partner booked this hotel 2 months in advance of our trip to Bali. Our 2 nights stay at Inata and Ubud were to follow our wedding which took place in Seminyak. After we booked, both my parents and brother + sister-in-law + 3 yr old nephew decided to follow our itinerary, so I made subsequent bookings on their behalf. It was difficult to determine via the Agoda website whether an extra bed would be provided for my nephew (photos show 3 beds), so we rang the hotel following the booking. After speaking to the Hotel Mgr, he agreed to provide the extra bed free of charge in acknowledgement of a bulk-booking. Of course, when we arrived at the hotel, the verbal pledge had been forgotten and the 3rd bed would not be provided gratis.
This was just a foretaste of the disregarding attitude of the management: A day into our stay, I attempted to use the kettle in our room, and received a pretty nasty electric shock upon plugging the 3-way pin into the multiway adaptor provided in the room. I went to the reception to complain about this on 2 occassions and also at checkout - each time I was told to come back at a later time when the Manager would be on-site (Inata have 3 hotels in Ubud), and each time the mgr failed to materialise. For an incident as serious as an electric shock, this is a pretty bad level of neglect and indifference towards hotel guests.
Fortunately, this experience is an exception to the norm in Bali - but the management at this hotel are a complete let-down to the otherwise friendly and attentive staff who they employ

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank gareth w
Valais, Switzerland
Reviewed 5 June 2012

LOCATION: INATA Hotel is located along Jalan Monkey Forest but it's such a long stretch of road that not many cab drivers know exactly where it is. When you pass LOTUS LANE Restaurant, look across the road & you will see a big green signage indicating “INATA Hotel”. Hotel's entrance is to the side of UBUD POINT Shopping Centre (don't expect to see a mall, it's just a surf shop); you walk down a long, narrow passageway lit by a row of colourful Moroccan lamps & emerge onto the hotel grounds.

Since the hotel is conveniently situated on Monkey Forest Road, you will be within easy walking distance to most of the cafés, restaurants, shops & spas in Ubud which are mainly located along this road & Jalan Hanoman.

Places of interest along Jalan Raya Ubud like Museum Puri Lukisan, Pura Taman Saraswati, Pasar Ubud (handicraft market), Puri Saren (nightly Balinese dance performances @ 7:30pm) are further afield & will take about 20 minutes to reach on foot. Neka Art Museum, art galleries & shops along Jalan Raya Campuhan are even further & may take at least 45 minutes to walk over.

ROOM: INATA is a small property with only 7 “Garden View” Rooms on ground floor & another 7 “Rice Field View” Rooms on the upper floor. We stayed in a spacious “Rice Field View” Room which sadly did not offer the lush, bucolic scenery we had in mind; what we could see from our balcony was just a narrow strip of neglected padi which seemed almost unreal compared to the beautiful padi fields we encountered on our Birding excursion in Ubud's countryside. If you enjoy a day out immersed in the wonderful sights & sounds of nature, i would highly recommend joining a “Bali Bird Walk” with Ms. Sumadi, a gregarious & v.knowledgable Balinese guide.

Back to the Balcony, it had a small coffee table & 2 wooden chairs. Since there wasn't much of a view, we didn't spend much time sitting out here. Besides, the dividing walls between the balconies were quite low so there wasn't much privacy.

The Deluxe Room was furnished with the following: 1 double bed; 2 bedside tables, a small writing desk with chair; flat-screen TV with multi-channels & a DVD player; minibar stocked with bottled water, canned soda & beer; a wardrobe with small in-room safe; tea- & coffee-making facilities.

Though we appreciated the provision of teabags, it was a messy affair trying to make tea with the horribly damp & clumpy sugar (which was not replaced with dry packets throughout our stay).

The writing desk had a desk lamp that occupied almost half the desktop & was too small to do any work on. If they had placed the wall mirror above the desk, it could at least have served as a dressing table but they chose to position it above the luggage rack instead, which wasn't very practical.

The wooden wardrobe was badly designed & built, it trapped a lot of dust & shook violently on its sides whenever we opened or closed it. Moreover, it had a revolting, musty smell which prevented us from hanging our clothes in there.

Despite this being a fairly new hotel (just opened in 2011), the furnishings were already looking slightly worn with thick layers of dust in certain nooks & crannies, probably due to lack of maintenance & sloppy housekeeping.

BED: The bed was fairly comfortable with clean sheets, blanket & ample pillows. However, our sleep was disrupted by barking dogs early in the morning....

BATHROOM: The bathroom was spacious & furnished with wash basin & mirror, towel rack, bathtub & toilet. Adequate clean towels were provided & replaced with fresh ones daily. Amenities provided were fairly standard: shower gel; shampoo; shower caps; toothbrushes; cotton-buds; hand soaps & mini sewing kit. As the water in Ubud is not potable, they provided 2 small bottles of distilled water in the Bathroom.

The showerhead had v.weak water pressure & the hot water supply was practically non-existent. I couldn't even have a single lukewarm shower during our stay whereas my partner managed to get some warm water intermittently.

There were noticeable mould on the shower curtain & bathroom tiles. Moreover, the Bathroom had an obvious stench which reminded us of sewage, perhaps there was a problem with the drainage or plumbing somewhere?? We wanted to request a Room Change but there were no other rooms available.

F&B: Our room rate was inclusive of daily breakfast but the a-la-carte Breakfast had limited options. We had the banana jaffles & french toasts, both were served w/fresh tropical fruits. For beverages, they provide the usual coffee, tea & selected fruit juices. Breakfast items were quite tasty but we were rather put off by the tea which had lots of strange, dark particles (dregs??) in it...

SERVICE: Breakfast service was exceptionally slow. We had to wait close to 30 minutes between placing our orders and having the Breakfast items delivered to our table. If you have plans in the morning & need to leave the Hotel by a certain time, do alert the F&B Staff so they can try to expedite your orders. We were almost late for our 9am Bird Walk because they kept us waiting too long @ Breakfast...

Room Reservation was made via Agoda.com which was quick & easy. We were charged US$85 per room night. INATA's published rates are US$90 for “Garden View” Room & US$100 for “Rice Field View” Room but you can enjoy Discounted Rates (US$58 & US$70 respectively) via Direct Internet Booking on the hotel website (search under “artinicottage” as INATA is under the Artini group of Ubud properties).

Check-In & Check-Out both proceeded smoothly. Only gripe was that none of the staff offered to help with my luggage despite a little old lady like me having to carry the bags up 2 flights of stairs to our Upper Floor Room. This was not unique to INATA Hotel though, almost all the cab drivers & hotel porters we encountered in Bali would readily assist the Men with their luggage but NOT offer any help to the Women, which i found strange...

The staff here are generally warm & hospitable but you may encounter communication problems with some of the F&B or Housekeeping Staff who did not seem to speak nor understand much English. However, those at Reception can converse in fairly fluent English.

FACILITIES: Other than a swimming pool & restaurant, there seems to be no other facilities available @ INATA Hotel. The pool did offer welcome respite from the scorching heat & high humidity in Bali. We observed the pool being cleaned regularly during our short stay there.

Absence of a Business Centre & Gym should not be an issue as most guests are here for leisure. Massages & other spa treatments are readily available in Ubud so not having a Spa on site is not a problem. We enjoyed wonderfully relaxing massages by highly skilled therapists @ an affordable rate of US$10/hour @ Shangri-La Spa (along Lotus Lane, off Jalan Monkey Forest).

IN SUMMARY: For the Room Rates charged, INATA Hotel fell far short of our expectations & we would probably NOT stay here again. There are numerous Cheaper & Better options in & around Ubud so do a bit of online research (Agoda.com is a good place to start) to find 1 that meets your requirements.

If you are adventurous enough to arrive without a Reservation, Ubud has many smaller properties & home-stays that may not be listed on any Booking Websites but nonetheless offer clean & comfortable accommodation @ affordable rates. May be a bit risky in Peak Season but you should have no problems finding available rooms as a walk-in guest @ other times of year.

Room Tip: Don't bother paying extra for Upper Floor Rooms with "Rice Field View"... Balcony do...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends