“Wonderfully at home at Indira Cottage”
Review of Indira Cottage

Indira Cottage
Ranked #61 of 666 Ubud B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 September 2012

I stayed at many places in ubud but indira felt most like home! the new modern comfortable suites has great beds, nice view to monkey forest, with symphony of waterfalls nearby. The boutique style hotel offers personal feel with wonderful hospitality from Gusti the manager and his team. All the staff were so friendly and I felt so at home at Indira I kept extending my stay.

Location is excellent, just an alley from Monkey forest rd - the main street with great shops and restaurants, just a few steps from the serene mystical monkey forest!

Taxis can be found everywhere close by. There is free wifi and breakfast served at your leisure on your own patio. I have not felt more at home at any hotels in the world!

Thanks Gusti and your staff!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
13  Thank diver1Edmonton

Reviewed 1 September 2012

My wife & I came to Ubud during our honeymoon in early July. While we were disappointed with nearby Padi Prada for not living up to our memory of it from 5 years earlier, by contrast, we were thoroughly pleased to find Indira Cottage manager Gusti ready to host us to his fresh and inviting small hotel off the beaten path at a bend in Monkey Forest Road. Enthusiastic young staff and courteous attention to our need for clean, modern accommodations gave us what we wanted from our return to Ubud. Local pastry specialties were presented as a breakfast treat, and discounted lunch specials at the Coffee Shop a short walk up to the main entryway fully satisfied our hunger. Rooms were of a modern design and very comfortable. We look forward to returning to Indira Cottage.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
15  Thank EricDerrick
Reviewed 1 September 2012

I have stayed at Indira cottages 3 times. Each time has been great. The presentation of the new property is lovely. The location is on the edge of the Forest and the staff are very attentive. Lead by Gusti the manager, he cannot do enough for you. For price, location, presentation and service I think it wld be difficult to find better. If you are not happy here, you are a difficult person.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
12  Thank Darren D
Reviewed 26 August 2012

Indira Cottage?....Never again!!!

We choosed this hotel for our first nights in Bali this summer, and we were very disapointed!!
If you use to book hotel by internet, to be sure to have a room during the high season in Ubud, with many facilities, friendly staff and a clean (and quiet) room...don't choose Indira Cottage!!!

When we arrived there, we didn't start our holidays but a real nightmare...

We booked a room at Indira Cottage for 4 nights 3 weeks ago, and we paid it in advance from Agoda. But when we arrived there, the guy at the reception told us there was a "mistake" with ou reservation, and they have a room for only two nights! They didn't had problems to take the money... They had our email adress and phone number, but nobody called us befor to tell it that...So, dishonest and unprofessional staff!

Let's talk about the staff...the guys wasn't bad...and sometimes nice...but so young! I'm not sure they had more than 17 years old! One of the girl who was working there was about 14 years old...We were very surprise by that, and we can't support it!
Only the "manager" was an adult...

After that, many bad points to advise you to don't go there:

- The hotel is lost at the end of a kind of road where there is nothing! When we arrived there, the taxi-drive couldn't find the place. He ask two different local people but nobody seems to know Indira Cottage. He tried to call the hotel, but nobody answered (even if they know we should arrive soon...)
We finally fund it at the end of a dirt road, but the taxi had troubles on the way back...

- Very dirty room: We fund a room very dirty with many hairs and ugly spots in the bed...So we choosed to sleep in our bed-bags...nice and romantic for our first night in Bali, isn't it?
We think they didn't clean and changed the sheets in the room...

- It could be ok if we could sleep in the bd-bags...but we couldn't because of the noise!!!
Even if Indira Cottage is in a lost part of Ubud, the place is very noisy...because of the toilets!
Every time someone go there, you could heard it...and it was just possible to sleep between the last one at noght and the first one who decide to go to the toilet (from 1h to 6h...a short night in a dirty bed....)
Weel, we were luchy because we couldn't smell it...

- So, we arrived for the breakfast earlier than we said. (7h and not 9h30....because we couldn't sleep more). And the "manager", unfriendly, told us "why do you come now!? It too early...You said you wanted breakfast at 9h30!"...
The good point in that story is that we had more time to find something to eat after (in another place) because the breakfast was very bad....but interesting!
It the first time in my life I could saw a banana pancake with a green color...and a grass taste!!! Did they cook whit the banana skin!?

Finally, we decide to continue our trip in Ubud in another hotel...

We are a little disappointed that our first impressions of bali is poor because of Indira Cottage...

So, good advice: Don't go there!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Allan K
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I definitely found a treasure when I stayed at Indira Cottages. It is conveniently located less than a minute walk from Monkey Forest Road at the very end of Bisma Road. Don't let the drive down the bumpy Bisma road scare you or you can get your taxi to drop you off by the pizzeria at the end of Monkey Forest Road.
My room was very clean and I had a great supply of hot water and clean towels and linen. You are provided with two small bottles of drinking water. I had breakfast included in my room rate and can recommend the green banana pancakes:)
The reception on the TV was poor in the room...but I didn't come to Bali to watch TV. I was able to keep up-to-date with all the news via that wi-fi that is availabel throughout the hotel.
Gusti very kindly arranged for a pick-up at the airport to Indira as well as a ride to my next destination in Bali. He also arranged for a spa experience for me while in Ubud, while perhaps ot the cheapest experience it was none the less a great experience.
The location is ideal...within walking distance of most of Ubud. The entire staff were very pleasant and friendly.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank Fiona C
Reviewed 19 August 2012

Indira Cottage is in a great location although driving there gives you the impression you’re staying miles off on a random track. The road does end up meeting a pathway onto the bend in Monkey Forest Road, right by the forest.

This is less a cottage and more a small guesthouse and looks quite new. We stayed in a room at the back which overlooked part of the forest. It was very quiet and the only thing we were disturbed by is the wildlife in the forest outside.

We heard from other guests that the rooms facing the front had a lot of noise from bikes driving up the laneway. It was sometimes noisy in the corridors of the hotel and the staff don’t seem to be especially considerate of guests sleeping

The room was an OK size with high ceilings. It was sort of lacking in furniture and our ‘twin share’ room was a double bed and a mattress on the floor. There was a nice view into the forest with big sliding doors onto the view but no chairs to sit on to enjoy it. There was no safe deposit box.

Other things I liked were the shower which was powerful and a large cubicle and the green pancakes at breakfast. Breakfast, however, is quite small.

Most of the staff were pleasant but the manager was quite rude and not very useful. He insisted on rudely butting into discussions we had with other stuff and never contributing anything of use and usually ended up aggravating someone.

Room Tip: At the back of the hotel away from the noise of the motobikes in the lane
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank talltaff
Reviewed 4 July 2012

This is a beautiful small resort which represents excellent value for money.
The rooms are spacious and modern, the bathrooms are marble and contemporary.
The staff bend over backwards to attend to your every needs.
Although this hotel does not have a restaurant (but does provide an adequate cooked hearty breakfast), the staff will pick up your pre-ordered food from a modern inexpensive restaurant just 50 metres away (which also provide a discount for in-house guests!!!!)
I have been travelling to Bali for many years staying mostly in 5 star resorts, but I would have to say this resort offers the best value for money!! I can not recommend this place enough.
We can't wait to return.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple