“Expected a little more”

Komaneka at Rasa Sayang
Ranked #33 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Came here after a wonderful stay at the St. Regis Nusa Dua, so perhaps the Komaneka suffered since the St. Regis is a hard act to follow....nevertheless, it did seem like there was a certain "something" missing from our stay here. I would say the hotel is equivalent to a US hotel that took a motel and upgraded it to a really nice motel but not up to the standards of a nice hotel.

Service - good, staff very friendly and helpful, probably the best thing about this hotel is the staff. Always willing to assist with a smile

Facilities - pool is nice but on the smaller side. A member of my group did use the pool and gym at the sister resort and said both were great, so at least one can use those facilities if willing to take a 5-10 minute shuttle

Location - very convenient to downtown Ubud and the monkey forest.

Food - breakfast was good, nice variety of options. Didn't try their lunch or dinner options

Cons:
1) internet/wifi was unreliable. And it got really annoying to have to log back so often
2) The "view" next door of demolished building really detracts from the experience. My 5-year old nephew, who is a big Star Wars and GI Joe fan, asked his dad "Was there a battle here?" I know management is aware, and I read the reviews on the website and thought I was prepared, but this was definitely the worst thing about the hotel.

Overall, the service and location were the good things about the hotel. But the value to price ratio was definitely off. I felt like the price we paid was too much to spend for a hotel with such a terrible view and spotty wifi.
I would give a 3.5 if I could, but will round up to a 4

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank valormd
There are newer reviews for Komaneka at Rasa Sayang

Reviewed 23 August 2014

I preface this by noting that this a 4 star hotel.

Komaneka Rasa Sayang is situated in the heart of Ubud on Monkey Forest Road. The property is not particularly large with roughly 45 rooms over 4 floors. A small pool, restaurant and spa round out the facilities.

We stayed in a deluxe room. The room is spacious as is the bathroom. The tub is lovely. The finishings overall are somewhat dated and although there is a balcony, there is no view and, as mentioned by others, the walk along the corridor to your room is bordered by a depressing demolished site. At least there's no construction activity to greet your mornings... yet.

The major asset to the Komaneka Rasa Sayang is its staff. As previously mentioned, staff make a point to acknowledge you whenever you pass them. I was impressed by some of the staff members who ensured that they knew you by name. Some have found it overbearing and forced- personally, I don't subscribe to that. I was particularly impressed by the Restaurant Manager, Desak who would unobtrusively make suggestions to ensure a happy stay, and sought our feedback throughout. Komaneka also provides access to a complimentary driver for trips around Ubud town.

Teething issues included a wifi that was temperamental and slow. The Apple TV connection also did not always work. We were upgraded at one point to a Villa Suite but here were met with issues around loud music at 1am in the morning by one of the neighbouring bars; the shower also only provided lukewarm water here for an unknown reason.

Breakfast also provided a source of annoyance. As mentioned by others, Komaneka offers set menu options rather than a buffet. Whilst neither my wife or I could complain about the food itself- the pastries were fresh and warm; the jams lovely; the poached egg, just so- I always like to sample most of everything, and in this, I was thwarted.

Overall, was reasonably happy- but there are certainly aspects for improvement.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DrLGanesh
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Our group of 18 people were traveling around Singapore, Indonesia and Malaysia. All of us were impressed of this hotel service, atmosphere and of course food. Amazing experience staying in Komanekta at Rasa Sayang. Peaceful, calm, romantic boutique hotel in a central place of Ubud. Beautiful view from infinity swimming pool to jungle and small river, spacious rooms, brilliant balinese architecture. SPA was amazing. Helpful service and very kind people. Thank you for nice time in this resort. Hope to come back one day.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This is a really nice hotel, lovely and modern rooms and the pool is beautiful. Would I stay here again? Probably not. Everything there was of quality, without question (linens, towels etc).

This was my first visit to Ubud and would probably stay somewhere different on my next trip; somewhere that had a bit more of a true Balinese feel to it. It was a lovely hotel, but once you are in the room (not that I spent a lot of time in there), I could have been anywhere - it was kind of generic (?). The bathrooms are brilliant - big shower and separate deep bath tub. All very modern and food was okay/pretty good.

The staff were very friendly and helpful and in a good central location. I'd probably stay somewhere further in the hills, somewhere that overlooked the rice paddy's. There are some great restaurants across the road, where you are actually overlooking the rice paddys- was stunning!!!

My friend and I decided to have a cheap facial at a nearby spa, which was apparently part of a hotel - it was horrid!! The spa was offering a Balinese facial with natural oils, creams, soothing yogurt scrubs etc.... it was Ponds Cold crème and a store bought mask that felt like concrete on your face. We had a very good laugh and reminded ourselves on "you get what you pay for". It was a dark dingy room out the back of a run down resort (although from the front, didn't appear to be) - just can't remember the name of it...

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank roaming_review
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

I booked deluxe room for 2 nights for my honeymoon. First I thought the room was standard deluxe but it was amazingly spacious. The pool was beautiful with river view. The service was great, no dissapointment and the staffs were professionally trained. Very recommended place to stay in gianyar, ubud.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I had the most wonderful 9 nights at Komaneka at Rasa Sayang. My room was gorgeous with a lovely light filled balcony and large marble bathroom with a generous shower, twin basins, large egg shaped bath and quality shampoo, etc. They even provided lovely soft cotton Balinese style night shirts.
The spa was divine and I had a variety of treatments which were great. Breakfast was served either in the restaurant or in your room - your choice. Restaurant food was delicious with a good variety snd similar prices to many local restaurants.
The staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. The shuttle took me often to wherever I needed to go. I loved the pool and the afternoon teas which were served. I also visited the Bisma property which is lovely with an amazing pool. Its a larger property but my preference is for Rasa Sayang as its in the heart of Ubud. As a solo traveller it was great to be in the centre of town yet in the quiet haven of this beautiful property.
I had no problem with the wi-fi. In fact there was nothing I would complain about. I'll be back again next year.

Room Tip: The rooms on the third floor was lighter which I prefer
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Bacchusntiffany
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Despite the very late arrival of our Jetstar flight, the hotel driver was waiting at the airport for our transfer to this great place to stay. From our arrival the staff were exceptionally friendly and keen to make your stay a memorable one. The hotel is very well located in central Ubud and is tucked away from all the hype and noise of the Main Street. They offer a free transfer or shuttle service locally with Ubud or to their other hotels. Only negative, is the view is spoilt by a demolished site in neighbouring block. Well worth taking a visit to their other hotels BIsma and Tanggayuda which offer a different experience in much larger grounds. We were offered an upgrade to BIsma for the final two days of our stay. WOW

Room Tip: Choose a room on 3rd (top) at pool end. Better view and quiet
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple