“Perfect place in Ubud will come back”

Gusde House & Villa
Ranked #220 of 542 Speciality Lodging in Ubud
Brussels, Belgium
“Perfect place in Ubud will come back”
Reviewed 12 February 2014 via mobile

Gusde House is such perfect place if you want to get the real spirit of Bali.. Perhaps a little far from the city center which has in fact any interest except for vegan coffee shops the house is in the middle of amazing fiels just next to a small village Mas The team is taking care of you with great breakfast and all tips for visiting the area The place is extremely clean nice and new . Staying there you will find the spirituality of Bali. To feel better hire a bike then you will be able to move everywhere they offer too free transport to the city. To be a little far from city center is a must if you want to experience Bali the Nature the Quiet ...
I will never forget this trip at Gusde House with Gusde Wayan and all the team ... Thank you

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Korean first
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I'm staying at Gusde right now and wanted to write the review while fresh on my mind. I arrived during the night and was picked up by Wayan. He was very nice and spoke good English. Unfortunately when I arrived at the villa with the private pool, the room was not clean. It was obvious to me that the cleaning was not done thoroughly and they were not prepared for me. There were ants, bug wings all over the floor and on the bed including hair! The kitchen floors and the bathroom were not clean and there was dust on the table. I was not pleased - they cleaned and changed the sheets. I was given the option of moving into a room however, I declined the offer because I paid for a whole villa. Since the first night, the staff has been cleaning the room but I still find the cleaning to be unsatisfactory. There were no hangers to hang my clothes so I had to hang them on the chair on lay them on the bed. There were no soap or shampoo provided - these days most basic hotels offer these. However, the bed is comfortable.

The villa is private although there is no view of padi fields! The staff would just walk into the compound with no prior notice which made me uncomfortable. This is after I've locked and latched the front door of the villa compound. It did not give me the sense of privacy I was looking for. The breakfast was mediocre. They served me hard, cold toast and cold omelette which was prepared 2 hours prior to serving. I requested for my breakfast to be fresh, not sitting cold in the kitchen for 2 hours. It was nice to have breakfast served at the villa. Even though breakfast is from 7 or 8 to 11, I felt I did not have any choice as to when breakfast would be served as the staff would just show at a time convenient to them rather than when I was ready for breakfast.

I did not have the pleasure of meeting Gusde and his family since my villa away from main building which was not what I expected. When I booked I was expecting the villa that was shown on the website. There were no cd/dvd player, electronic safe, hairdryer, tea or coffee maker, sofa in the room as advertised on their website. There was nothing exotic about the drink I received upon arrival nor did I get any cold towel upon arrival. I didn't see any Balinese flower arrangement nor did I get the complimentary afternoon tea for one of the days I stayed in. Not sure about the daily tropical fresh fruit selection - I guess it came with breakfast. Never received the complimentary cooking class - no one mentioned to me.

On the whole while the place is private and quiet, I would not stay here again. I felt I wasn't welcomed the first night even though Wayan apologized for the oversight. I felt I did not enjoy all the benefits of the whole villa package that was promised. The distance from Ubud was inconvenient particularly since there was no padi fieldd view to enjoy from my villa. I would stay in town next time.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Oakland, California, United States
Reviewed 17 November 2013

The Gusdes and their staff are the kindest people and vey considerate of their guests. We stayed in their guest house, which is split into two levels with separate entrances. Each is its own studio. There is a small private pool right outside the door! The guest house is clean, quiet and serene. Their traditional Indonesian breakfast is delicious and very filling. They will help take you to Ubud and tell you about all the different places you can see.

Room Tip: Second floor of the guest house has stairs going up to it.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kelly Y
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 6 November 2013

We had an amazing stay at Gusde House where we stayed at the villa with private pool, with paddy fields view. Gusde and his family's warmth welcome and helpful services gave us a memorable stay in Ubud.

Pros:
- Very quiet and private.
- Clean room, hot shower, comfortable beds and amazing pool!
- Free shuttle service to Ubud town, specifically to their restaurant. Last pickup is 10 PM.
- There's a pantry next to the pool that was well-equipped. Aside from the water filter, we could also boil hot water.
- Breakfast is sent to your doorstep daily.
- Attentive, polite and friendly staff :)

Cons:
- Complimentary breakfast was limited to American, Continental & Indonesian breakfast. I found them too oily for my liking.
- The AC wasn't working very well .. it was very warm during the day.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank s0311
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 31 May 2013

You can stay in a hotel, or you can stay with Gusde and his family. They treated us like old friends who were visiting from afar. Such gracious hosts, you cannot imagine!

The house is incredibly beautiful and Gusde showed us the significance of every detail -- and every detail had a significance!

They were happy to drive us in and out of town on our own schedules.

Gusde's wife was so hospitable. She took us to yoga with her and didn't even make fun of how much we struggled. Be warned that you may have a few more sun salutations than you expect, and the air is hot and humid; but the setting is far more like a temple than a studio!

The room was large, clean, comfortable and just like the pictures. It was heaven.

One warning. Gusde has two roosters and they begin crowing at first light and keep going all day. Bring ear plugs.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Hong Kong
Reviewed 15 March 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Gusde's beautifully-maintained traditional Balinese house for 7 days and had a great time! They made us feel very much at home with their friendly hospitality. The room has a wonderful view of the rice paddies from the back patio. The complementary breakfast was delicious and ample.
Although it's slightly outside of Ubud itself, the free shuttle service into town was very regular, so no problem there. Set in the harmonious family compound, the room was clean, comfortable and quite private. The staff were also very helpful, professional and attentive. Thank you again Gusde and family for a memorable stay.

• Stayed February 2013
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 8 March 2013

We stayed three nights in this hotel. The room is very beautiful having the rustic Bali village house with modern facilities. The room was large, and had a nice balcony overlooking rice fields, which I enjoyed a lot. Good quality soap and shampoo was provided. Beautiful ward robe, in room safe box, bed net are all provided. Breakfast is very good and you can chose local or American and the time to be served. Bed and linen were comfortable and AC was sufficient. Room was super clean, so were the towels and sheets. Since the location is about 5 minutes drive to downtown Ubud, the hotel provide a courtesy ride back and forth to downtown. Since we took room (not villa) we didn't have pool, but they would let know if any villa with pool is empty and let us use the pool facility. The owner Mr. Gusde, is a real gentlemen, speaks well English, and is very generous and attentive to the guest needs. He does a hands on management and he personally made sure we had no issue and have a happy and comfortable stay. All other staff are very nice, polite and attentive too.

We had a great stay at a bargain price. So, we would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple