“Great little hotel in the heart of Ubud”

Pondok Pundi Village Inn & Spa
Ranked #82 of 555 Ubud B&B and Inns
Cork
“Great little hotel in the heart of Ubud”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We spent 3 nights at Pondok Pundit. The room 305 was in the top floor overlooking the ravine. There is a lovely balcony space in front of the room, we spent at least an hour every night sitting out there, listening to the wild life and watching the bats flying around.
I woke up early on the second morning, armed with my camera I spent a very happy hour watching birds and monkeys , I was annoyed I had forgotten my binoculars! The garden has a wide range of birds visiting every day.
The only negative is the caged birds in the courtyard including what I think is a Balinese mynah bird, which is on the critically endangered list.
The staff are helpful and the food is good. I ate the squid and an assortment of delicious starters for dinner. Good value too.
We had the swimming pool to ourselves one afternoon and watched birds and butterflies drink from it, also a mongoose in the trees opposite! Hard to believe you are in the middle of a bustling town/city.
The rooms are very roomy, well furnished and clean.

Room Tip: If you are interested in birds ask for 305 it overlooks the ravine. Bring binoculars.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Phil2252

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We book through agoda for this hotel for Bali trip as we would love to try out ubud area hotel. this hotel located at very good location, walking distance to monkey forest in ubud and palace and at the main street of all shops and restaurant. inside the hotel has some small temple, very nice enviroment and the infinitiy pool located at the back of the hotel facing a small bush area, very serene and nice, feeling so different from staying in kuta or seminyak hotel. the room given to us was at the corner and extremely large, actually if we can add bed the room can stay two more ppl. with the price roughly USD50 per nigth, including breakfast and good location i would give a 4.5 star. overall service is good as well. we enjoy our stay here.

Room Tip: if you pay more can get a room facing the pool which will be nice too. and i think corner room also...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Paul80
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Pondok Pundi is well situated close to both Monkey forest and market. The rooms are well appointed and reasonably clean however there is a small smoke house or something of that nature next door which billows smoke almost constantly.
If you need darkness to sleep you will have trouble as the thin curtains allow light in all night and from early morning.
The coffee accompanying breakfast is the best I have had in Bali.
Ubud is a nice break from bogancentric Legian and Kuta.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Abi C
Brisbane
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights on a family trip. The location is great - easy walking distance to most things in Ubud and plenty of places to eat and shop nearby.

The Balinese family compound is actually set in the middle of the hotel which adds a nice traditional touch.

The layout and architecture is very traditional Balinese, which makes you feel like you are really immersed in the destination. Rooms, verandas, pathways etc are all very well maintained and finished, so you really feel like you are in an upmarket establishment.

We stayed in room 202 which is out the back and near the pool and comprised a large bedroom (with an extra bed for for our 8 year old daughter) and a sitting room.

There is a TV in each, but as noted by other reviewers - few English channels - but I've got to ask, why sit around and watch TV when you are in Ubud.

Aircon in the room was fine and wifi worked perfectly.

The pool is large by (small) hotel standards and a perfect temperature to refresh after a day of activity in Ubud.

Breakfasts were also great - we had Bubur Ayam and Nasi Goreng each morning with fruit and fruit juice - which set us up perfectly for the rest of the day.

The thing I can't say enough good about is the staff!

Unfortunately during our stay my 8 year old daughter picked up a gastro bug which first presented itself with a big vomit on the bedroom floor at 9pm at night. I went to get a mop and bucket to clean up (I'm used to doing such things myself at home) - but with a couple minutes several staff were there to clean it all up.

The next morning they offered to bring breakfast to the room to make things easier for us and throughout the day various staff members checked with us to see how my daughter was and if we needed anymore help, including getting us a doctor.

My daughter spent the whole next day vomiting, sitting on the toilet and sleeping which made it difficult for the staff to complete their usual cleaning routine, but when she finally felt well enough to climb out of bed and sit on the verandah at 6pm, staff came came immediately when contacted to clean our room, restock with with extra water, toilet paper, towels etc so that she could continue to recover in a nice clean room.

Thank you for helping us to make the most of our stay.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank BrisbaneTraveldoctor
Beijing, China
Reviewed 15 February 2014

We chose this hotel because it was a nice place for me to recover from "bali belly" I picked up somewhere else. The location is in the middle of Ubud, so shopping and good food were close by; yet the room was at the back of the property beside the pool, so it was quiet and restful. My only negative comment is that there were hard-water stains in the bathroom that marred to otherwise lovely decor. The staff were helpful and responsive.

Room Tip: Get one of the rooms next to the pool. Quiet and convenient.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank 1649506
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We didn't have high hopes for this place as we just booked something cheap without too much research, but were very impressed.

Great service when we arrived and we were given the room next to the pool. Resort was quiet so we had it to ourselves and its a very nice pool.

Very well located, clear room. Bathroom isnt great (needs a shower curtain!), but it was ok.

Downside is that there are no English speaking TV stations when you come home after dinner and want to veg out for an hour or two...but watch Indonesian channels was a good laugh ; )

Room Tip: Try to stay in rooms 101 or 102, as these are located near the pool
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StavrosGreenopoulos
Reviewed 13 January 2014

It depends on the room you get. I got room 402 it was just above the front reset and next to the office. There was not view from the room (which was fine for me), but the room was quite spacious! The room and the bathroom were very clean.

Some issues I found....

1.No wifi in my room
2.Rats are running above the ceiling during the night
3.The room is facing the corridor of the next building of the hotel where the light is lit up all night. Since the room doesn't have a shading curtain, beware if you are the person who needs a room pitch dark to sleep.

I loved the location. Only a few minutes from the monkey forest and about 10 minutes walk to the palace.

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo