Bembengan Ubud Cottage
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
View Hotel
All reviewsnice swimming poola great place to staysmall riverwould stay againfour poster bedtucked awayminute walkmonkey foresttowelsbalconyprivacyvegetationsoapbalinesedriverpeacebathtub
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Stayed there for 3 nights. I think it was a little bit too expensive compared to what was offered. I really liked the fact that you could choose from a breakfast menu and they brought it to your porch. The rooms were kind of worn down, I was afraid the fan would fall down and the sink was leaking. I enjoyed the surroundings, nice garden, pool and good location. The staff were friendly.

Stayed april 2014, traveled solo

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank maria h
Reviewed 18 February 2014

This was our first stay in Ubud, and even in Bali in general. We are both used to stay in international hotel chains, and decided to stay in a more intimate hotel this time as we wanted to discover a more local/cultural side of Bali than what we see in Kuta.

What we loved : All staff members were incredibly nice to us, from our arrival to our departure. They helped us chose a cycling tour, or advise us with what we could visit in Ubud and all direction. I do believe we were one of the only (or only ones!) guest staying there at that moment, because every time we had a question or needed anything, there was always someone available which was really appreciated.

As we work in Australia, we didn't even really had a look at the prices as it was a package, but well it was more than affordable!

The bed was comfortable, it was quite hot, but they had a ceiling fan AND air conditioning so that was perfect.

The place is not brand new, but it was pretty clean.

The hotel itself is situated at the end of the small alley starting from the street. The alley was dark, narrow so we actually thought it wasn't the good location. To find any place to eat at night, you might have to walk a bit, and a bit more if you want to have any choice.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Carlina_Bricourt
Reviewed 8 January 2014

This hotel worked for us - there were days where it felt like we were the only guests and got really personal attention. Towels and chairs setup for us when we went for a swim and rooms cleaned daily. The room was really comfortable and I slept really well. Excellent breakfast with fresh juice, coffee, fruit salad and eggs. The location is not bad but for my next stay, I may consider somewhere closer to the shops/restaurants that I went to everyday. However, I would've missed the local ceremonies that I walked past on the way to town which was nice to experience. The long alleyway to reach the hotel didn't bother me too much but could be an issue for others. The manager was accommodating to reduce our nights stay due to flight plans although a bit resistant - I'm glad it worked out in the end.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 December 2013

This place has a lot of downsides and on the whole I think there are much better options in Ubud to be found just by wandering around. This place is also expensive compared to surrounding places. All in all, stay somewhere else. We stayed a comparable place afterwards for $20 a night. The professional pictures are very misleading.

We pre-booked here to stay, but when we got there are room was dirty, the sink didn't work, there was a musty smell to the room and there were tons of bugs. They dealt with almost all of these issues and things turned up the next few days, or I'd be giving this place no stars, but you want your first impression on a vacation to be a positive one, especially if you chose the hotel for you and your wife.

Positives:
-Filling and good breakfast, though it lacks variety.
-Neat furnishings.
-Pool is actually pretty nice and has a cool fountain(with the exception of a few dead gnats, which isn't uncommon in most places).
-recommended a good bike tour.

Negatives:
-rooms not cleaned or prepped for guests.
-Down a dark alleyway (200 meters?) that really ruins the first impression.
-some of the owners speak good english but are only around in the mornings.
-locks on the doors were a joke. A padlock through two brass rings, and the brass rings can come off by bending them in your hands. That said, none of our stuff got stolen.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nathan B
Reviewed 6 December 2013

You approach the hotel from a very dark, poorly maintained road, quite a way out of the city centre. If you have never been to Ubud, few hotels are on the road front, but sometimes a fairway down very narrow lanes, perhaps 3 feet wide, which open up along their length to houses and hotels. In this case, it is a barely lit, very rough lane. I could not find the hotel, so had to ask at a house. It was the very last property in the lane, down a steep gully at the end.
The hotel itself is built vertically down the side of a river gorge. The pool in the photos, is on the bottom level and about 60 or 70 feet vertically from the stream below. The sides are hugely overgrown with bamboo which towers over the hotel, and the only view is the rather tatty side of the gorge opposite. It feels very enclosed. There is not much space, so you have to negotiate a narrow ledge around the pool.
The rooms are fine, the bathrooms new, breakfast very nice - if you want to spend your holiday in the dark. In Ubud particularly, there are hotels with open views of the rice terraces - right in the town centre, or beautifully spacious gardens if you want them.

It depends upon what you want - Ubud has something for everyone.

Room Tip: Choose what view you want and make a hotel decision from that. If the hotel does not show the view online - take it, there isn't one !
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo