“Might be really good under different circumstances”
Review of Agung Cottages

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Agung Cottages
Ranked #410 of 542 Speciality Lodging in Ubud
San Francisco, California
“Might be really good under different circumstances”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I checked in one afternoon upon the recommendation of a friend who had stayed in the same room a couple of weeks earlier. I thought the family was very friendly and helpful and the view from the patio of the room I had was very nice. The room itself was simple, but clean and I had no issues with the accommodation itself. I only stayed one night, however, because there was construction going on next door while I was there and so the sawing and metal grinding made for an unpleasant afternoon. With the exception of that, I would recommend this place - I would have stayed had I been there when construction wasn't happening next door.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jason_SF72

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Reviewed 6 September 2013

This quite oasis with clean apartments with your own porch has clean, big rooms situated in a beautiful garden. The breakfast is included and delicious. Don't leave without trying the French toast! The owner and his family are very friendly and helpful. It is located in the centre of Ubud and there are 2 restaurants across the street that serve delicious local cuisine. The only point of criticism was that the tax (ca 10%) is not included in the price. Would definitely recommend this place.

Room Tip: our apartment was in the garden at street level with aircon and hot water. although relatively expen...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AGMTK
Ireland
Reviewed 28 February 2013

We stayed for 3 nights in these lovely cottages. The cottage was very clean, comfortable bed, air conditioning and lots of space. The owner was very friendly as were his family.

The gardens are really beautiful with chirping birds (in cages and out. I did feel sorry for the caged ones) really beautiful flowers and little temples. Our cottage was really beautifully ornate and it was lovely to eat breakfast (small and fairly simple) on our own little veranda in the garden.

If you don't like sounds of nature, then it probably isn't the place for you. There is the odd ant here and there and cocks crowing but it was a wonderful oasis for us.

I would recommend to anyone who is a nature lover to stay here.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank SBelleIreland
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 14 February 2013 via mobile

I was only staying 1 night. Was able to get a reduced rate for the room 150,000. Great location. Love the street.

Asked about transport to Sanur. Told they could arrange a driver. I asked about a bus and they said "not possible". Then I went for a walk, saw a sign for buses and had the guy at the Warung book me a bus for $50,000

• Stayed February 2013
galway
Reviewed 12 December 2012

We arrived in Ubud late at night and choose Agung Cottages as it was recommended in the Lonely Planet and the quite area of town suited us.

The grounds and garden are beautiful with a large family temple so we were really happy at first, Our room was over looking the river covered in rubbish, the toilet was dirty with lots of insects and you could also see in through the bathroom window from outside as it is just wire mesh which is not ideal.

We bargained for 250,000 rp which included taxes, so approx €20. I offered to check in with our details, he said we could do it the following morning. One of the windows was warped and difficult to close but I managed to close it anyway. The following day I noticed it was open again, I assumed my girlfriend opened it, so I closed it again.

On the third night, as I was packing I noticed there was €70 and 500,000rp back up cash missing from my passport, this was very strange as it was there when I arrived in Agung cottages. After searching further, I realised what had happened and checked the window again, it was pulled open again. I searched further through my stuff and noticed there was other belongings missing too. It became obvious we had a visitor while we were away during the day.

I told the owner, he held his head in surprise as expected. He did nothing about it. We let him know we would be in touch with the police regarding the break in and he asked us to check in and register our details.

The following morning when we went to pay our bill he added on the tax that he said was included. We realised that he was not declaring us to avoid paying tax to the revenue and when we registered as we were going to the police he decided to add it on again.

We refused to pay the tax and only paid the 250,00 rp as agreed. we left very pissed off with the place.

We rented a car for a couple of days and retuned to Ubud and stayed in a place a few doors up, I forget the name it was called Wena or something similar, we paid 150,000 for a better room with breakfast included, a lovely garden and thankfully nothing was stolen from us.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank tommy h

Travellers are raving about these Ubud hotels

Paris 12
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We left the homestay before because of works who was just in front of our room from 8:30 until 6...but here, bad luck, works are just behind from 8:00 until 5!!
Moreover, the room is really dirty, old and quite small for the price; we paid 300000Rp after bargain for hot water (good shower), wifi (works well) and breakfast (various). But we didn't pay for the garbage in the small river just behind our window, the stains of mold on the curtains and the horrible bedspread...

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Clélia M
Vientiane, Laos
Reviewed 22 June 2012

We booked Agung cottages by phone with the owner, and had a booking confirmed, but when we arrived we found they had actually booked us into their cousins place "Goutama Homestay" down the road which was annoying, as it was nowhere near as good (the room was like a 70's motel room, the grounds cluttered, a building project going on all day, and the place was full of loud stereotypical Israeli guys reliving their national service hero stories).

However, after 1 night we got moved into the Agung cottages, the lower of the 4 buildings available, and it was very nice. The 4 buildings are spread around a traditional courtyard with lots of plants and caged birds, and each had an outside sitting area. The rooms themselves could do with some work, but the surroundings are great, and as we only used them for sleeping it was a nice place to come back to.

We paid 300,000 off season which was about average for a homestay in central Ubud.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple