“Spacious, quiet room in your own temple”

Alamanda Accommodation
Ranked #195 of 537 Ubud B&B and Inns
Hobart, Australia
“Spacious, quiet room in your own temple”
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

We spent a wonderful relaxing week at Alamanda, in a room with an entrance like a temple. The door and windows were beautiful! The location is convenient, as it is right in central Ubud, close to all the restaurants, shopping, and dance performances, but it is tucked back through an alleyway, so is extremely quiet. Our room had a lovely patio on which we were served delicious breakfasts each morning at whatever time we arose. The room was clean, had a hot water shower, fan, large bed, couch, wardrobe, thick bath towels.

The owners are absolutely lovely. They had us sampling durian from their own tree, talked to us about Balinese culture and the Ubud area, took time to explain good walking routes through the local rice paddies, and were able to organise tours and transport at economical prices.

Because Alamanda is tucked down an alleyway, their sign can be a bit hard to see from the road. Just look for the big, green Lemonade Mexican restaurant sign, and you'll have found it!

In response to the last review--made by someone who did not actually even stay here--yes it is on the basic end of the accommodation spectrum (though by far the nicest we've found in this price bracket ~$25), so if you are looking for a place with a pool and aircon, you can spend two to three times as much down the street... But if you are on a budget and looking for an authentic Balinese home stay in a peaceful garden setting, look no further!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank laurayjosue

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I recently booked into Alamanda after reading reviews on trip advisor, but although the people were very sweet I did not stay there as I felt it was much too basic for me. The photo of the lovely outdoor setting must belong to another property as the garden is a mess of building works. I finally found another lovely place to stay and for only a few more dollars had a swimming pool, beautiful garden and much higher standard of accommodation.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
lahaina
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Sumaui, the Matriarch, her son Made, his wife Ni Made and their 3 children are what make Alamanda the warm and inviting accommondation that it is. The guest is enveloped with the Bali spirit as their extended family and friends come and go within their compound. Their easy grace warm smiles and laughter is genuine. The rooms are clean and pleasant, breakfast included and coffee/tea available all day long. If sightseeing advice is needed, Made can help arrange for your requests to be filled, or knows a trusted someone who can. Alamanda is located in Ubud, but situated off from the Monkey Forest Road, down a small walkway (gang) allowing for a sense of privacy. This location is ideal as most of Ubud can be accessed by walking. If safety is a concern, this is an excellent choice. Many times, myself and others have left luggage at the compound and make off island trips knowing all will be well upon return. The price is affordable and at times, (during slow seasons) negotionable.I have been returning to the Alamanda for over 15 years, for a yearly 2 month stay, and have more praise than room to write here.p.s. What is interesting, is that Alamanda is always improving!

Room Tip: Upstairs corner room overlooking the gang receives loud late night club music several nights of the...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank anna b
Namur Province, Belgium
Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

I had plan to stay in Ubud 1 week but the guest house and the family are so great I extend for 8 more days. The owners are nice, the included breakfastS are simple but really amazing !, the location is perfect and the room more than acceptable especially for the price you pay. Queen or king bed, clean, hot water, wifi and nice furnitures. The only thing missing in some rooms is a fridge and it is the only one reason I choose this title for my comment. This place is just amazing with enjoyable room, nice owners always ready to help and the luxurious vegetation / superb items. Definitely a place to be in Bali after trying Kuta, Denpasar, jimbaran and Seminyak in this 4 stars accomodation. :) Thank you Made and your sweet family !

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank akyshiro
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I've decided to write this review while I am actually still staying at Alamanda Accommodation and will most likely write one upon my departure. I arrived on Ubud, Bali around midnight from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I had planned to travel north to the Island of Langkewi, Malaysia, however I awoke with a very interesting feeling that morning on KL, and with ticket in hand headed to the airport. However every cell in my body was telling me not to get on the plane to Langkewi but to go to Bali! unfortunately, there was no applying credit on my Air Asia flight from one local to another, so I made a big division standing at the ticket counter to toss away my ticket and purchase one to Bali, the opposite direction..yet the right direction, so said my body!

I landed, took a hotel for the night and the next morning set out to find more affordable long term accommodations, as I KNEW in my bones I was going to be hear a while. And as soon as I hit the road, Monkey Forest Rd. I met a man who led me to Alamanda Accommodation ...and all I can say is I have not a one complaint! The family run hotel is lovely, with each room having a different style, but all including lovely Bali style furnishings. there is a fan both on the ceiling and a floor fan, hot water, some rooms with tubs, some have balconies, some porches, all with a nice table and chairs, and my room, which was exactly what I had desired offered a small effective kitchen, so I could settle in and feel at HOME! The family just completed the traditional family temple which sits in the middle of the compound which is a true work of art! There is a little fish and turtle water structure, and a constant gentle breeze.

After being here for about a month now I can tell you that there are other accommodations which may offer other advantages, for example, a swimming pool, would never be a bad thing, however the Tresna family makes staying here an unforgettable experience, as they are so willin to assist you to accomplish anything you may like to experience while in Ubud. including having a cousin who is an AWESOME. Long time experienced Masseuse by the name of Wyan...and she is very reasonable. Ok, nuff said, for now. I created them a Facebook page, so search Alamanda Accommodations for more information and email or better yet call for a reservation, or just come by!

Room Tip: If you are planning an extended stay or just feel a need to have kitchen, there is only one room at...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Villagemuse
Faversham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 September 2012

We initially stayed in Jati 3 bungalows at 450,000rupiah a night. Alamanda is just next door so we checked out the room and prices and instantly wanted to stay. The owner Made was so friendly and helpful and his family treated us so well during our stay and even shared their dinner with us. We planned to stay 3 nights and ended up staying 8!
We paid 150000RP for a huge room with hot water, fan and private verandah. Breakfast was served whenever we wanted it and although simple was very good (try the banana pancakes).
It is centrally located but very quiet unlike Jati 3. The bathroom was basic and the room only cleaned when we asked but when we did they were more than happy to do so.
The bed was very comfortable and equipped with mosquito nets.
If I ever returned to Ubud I would not hesitate to stay here or to recommend it to others.
The owners email is kadeksjn@yahoo.com (0361) 970926