“A unique luxury resort with character, great hospitality, good location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Warwick Ibah Luxury Villas & Spa

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Warwick Ibah Luxury Villas & Spa
Ranked #10 of 193 Hotels in Ubud
Thailand
“A unique luxury resort with character, great hospitality, good location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2011

We love our stay at the Ibah, their staffs are one of the best- very helpful, proper, attentive and very warm. We felt truly welcomed by all of them especially Eka at the Front desk and most of the dining room staffs. The ibah is the hotel with a great character, carved rock wall along the pathways up and down the hill. The ibah suites we booked are large, nicely decorated and clean. Some reviews have mentioned they need refurbishment which they may, but we don't find the old taps or rustic doors negative, they just go with the whole atmosphere and still work just fine.

What we find inconvenient is the lack of in-room wifi, and the old pathways with moss could be a little slippery under the rain. (60+ guests should really mind the steps.) We booked 2 Ibah suites for our family of four because their 2 bedroom villa was not available. It was a disappointment to get both suites down the lower ground where the view we saw was only the lower part of the steep valley. We did expect they would allocate us the two suites in the same roof where one is on the upper floor and one is down so we can also have the upper view. For what we lacked of this booking, however, the staffs hospitality offset all. 5 stars for their kindness and their service mind.

The hotel location is excellent, near the river where we can hear the water flows and see the grass field, also right next to the popular walking ridges to Ubud ricefield and river valley. It is only about 10-15 min walk to Ubud town (palace/market).

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2011

My husband and I returned to the Ibah in February this year after having had such a good experience with the hotel at the same time last year. We booked a Bliss package which included return transfers and a spa treatment (which I have to say is the best one I have ever had in Bali because those Bali massages tend to hurt - those boney fingers get right in) as this was for our Honeymoon. We arrived at the hotel and checked in but the girl checking us in proceeded to tell us about the hotel and where everything was located - "Yes we know where everything is because we stayed here last year!!!!" I learnt a few things on this trip (staying at 4 hotels). 1. No-one really cares that it is your honeymoon 2. It is very offensive to be a repeat customer but not acknowledged when you check in - I must say in Ibah's defence they did send us a welcome back note late that evening. 3. In room dining is fun - but more on that later. We checked in - but didn't get the room that we had last year - so a little disappointed because last years room was a little more special - not to say the room this year was terrible - except that you had to leave your room to go out onto the balcony to go to the bathroom which was a seperate room to the room and you could sit on the toilet and be seen by the villa above and by people walking past on the pathway so we just had the blinds shut in there the whole stay and that meant you had to get dressed to go to the bathroom. Free wifi in the restaurant area was good, shuttle service to town is great, the pool and the pool side service is wonderful, the breakfast inroom was good but I wouldn't recommend eating in the restaurant at night there - the meals weren't that good and completely overpriced. Lovely hotel but we will try elsewhere next time.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank resortqueen_10
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2011

Stayed two night in Villa Oleander. Greeted at the airport, cool wash cloth and water waiting for us. Staff are friendly and welcoming. Free transport anytime into Ubud. There are many steps, but not steep steps, I have a pin and plate in my knee and I managed fine, careful though, some can be a little slippery. Bed was comfortable enough, though we were woken by roosters crowing quite loudly in the morning, but it just all adds to the charm I think. Breakfasts were yummy and the restaurant area was very picturesque. Internet did not work in our room which was a bit of a pain with having to check work email, had to spend time in the lobby/library to use wifi..they also have computers for guest use I believe...and dvds to loan. As for the lady who spoke about 'worms'...there are a couple that get into the bathroom, but they are harmless and don't attack :) There is bug spray in your room so you can always spray around the outside door in the bathroom so they don't get in. I love outdoor bathrooms, I requested one. It's just not Bali without that :) We got a special package through the villa direct so it's always best to contact them and organize what you want :) Hmm which reminds me, never got our free massage, drats lol. We had private plunge pool which was often used, especially when returning from town hot and bothered....It's a fair distance from the airport, but the scenery is nice to look at.
Overall, it was a pleasant stay.
By the way, the Monkey Forest was spectacular, the scenery there just amazing. Monkeys can be a little aggressive but you are safe if sensible. Lovely to watch :)

2 Thank littlegypsyau
Breda, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2011

Stayd here with our two kids. Absolutely beautiful hotel in old temple like complex, close to ubud centre. Great, big room with nice views. Stunning pool and great service. With small children, remember there are a lot of stairways in the complex!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2011

I chose this hotel after looking at the website and reading online reviews. I found it to be better than I had expected. I had stayed at a cheaper hotel in Ubud last year and I found the difference in my holiday experience remarkable.
The room was beautiful and tranquil, very comfortable with everything I could need. Little touches like the tea and coffee in the room being exotic leaf tea with a tea pot to brew in, and the comfortable outdoor room with fans and lighting made the room an enjoyable place to pass time.
The Spa facility was lovely I tried the massage and pedicure treatments which were delivered by friendly professional staff.
The restaurant was a pleasant place to be with good service. The food was of a very good standard compared to Bali restaurants. Sometimes the menu translations were a little inaccurate but still delicious!
There is a whole vegetarian menu that they will give you upon request.
The layout of the hotel felt private and the gardens and pool area were lovely. I had a little dream of a luxurious shower in a private outdoor tropical courtyard. I was pleasantly surprised to find one at my room. After my shower I looked up to see the first floor neighbouring balcony, with the blinds down. I wonder how private my shower really was?
The location is perfect because it is a short and simple walk into Ubud centre. Ubud being much less hassle than other Bali tourist areas. There is also a local walkway through the fields beside the hotel which I enjoyed a stroll along.
I was travelling with a friend this time but I could imagine my young child would be happy there too.
The staff were very helpful and not at all hustling for buisness (which I have found elsewhere).
When walking around I saw some rooms were acessed by steep steps while mine had none. Walking between the ammenties/facilities was simple and easy.
It was set well back from the main road so no traffic noise at the hotel. Security at the entrance was reassuring.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank pinkginger_11
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2011

We were pleasantly surprised with an upgrade to gallery room the rose. It was heavenly. Outdoor living room with a fabulous view. Bedroom and bathroom both indoors and very spacious. Both airconditioned. Very comfortable bed with mosquito net. Turn down service nightly with small decoration on your pillow. Overall just beautiful. We will definitely be back and stay Longer.

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank Trevor0808
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2011

... we booked the Ibah because they did a package with Bali Villas in Seminyak, and we booked via BV. Much of the villa-with-private-pool accommodation in Ubud is highly-rated on this site and other places, so it was hard to choose between them. Therefore convenience was the basis of our choice. But it was a fortunate choice.
We had a week at Ibah in the Oleander villa, which is a one-bedroom villa with its own pool. The villas with pools seem to be on the elevated part of the Ibah compound with views across the valley. The villas without pools are lower down, but near the gurgling river, which is also a delight. Most of the 18 or so suites/villas are different, with varying layouts and fitouts, which adds to the low-key and personal atmosphere. If you want a pool villa make sure you specify this. We met some people who had assumed all villas had pools and didn't get one, and were disappointed.
Anyway, our villa was lovely. You could get up in the morning - from the lovely firm kingsize bed with good cotton linen and mozzie net (although we didn't see any mozzies) - and jump into the pool. It was a real indulgence to enjoy the (non artificially heated) lightly-chlorinated water - cool but not cold - just steps away.
The villa itself was dark (my husband thought too dark but it was OK with me) and furnished with teak colonial-style furniture. But the marble bathroom and TV cabinet, among other things, had a 15-20 yo style look, which makes sense given the complex opened in 1996.
We didn't mind the slightly dated and frayed look/condition of the place - it was more than adequately compensated for by the gorgeous gardens, mossy stone walls, water features, statues, higgledy-piggledy layout and serene atmosphere of the place. One reviewer has said it was like staying in a museum - I would say almost a temple. In fact, the compound is owned by the Ubud royal family and some of the structures on it date from before the villas were developed. Warwick has assumed the running of the enterprise.
Yes, there were gecko droppings in the room, but I had read about them and the porter warned us about them when we arrived. I also didn't mind the two frogs who took ownership of our outdoor area after dark, or the spider suspended above the (50) stone stairs up to our villa, or the odd worm in the bath. I'm from Australia - such creatures don't usually upset me.
We found the staff friendly, helpful and courteous. One/two turned up the solicitude a bit high on our final day (tipping time) but that's hardly a crime when you work in a service industry in a developing country.
I used the spa A LOT and the staff were good. Again it's based in a villa like the one we stayed in, and the quiet, dark atmosphere was perfect for me. The quality of the treatments was good, but perhaps not great, and quite pricey by Bali standards, but then again so is Ibah.
The villa pool was well maintained and a decent size for "plunging". The central pool was larger and pretty with its nooks in the stone wall in which you can lounge and sip a cool drink.
We took a half day trip with a hotel driver, which was OK. There was a range on offer, but again you could do better hiring your own driver in town. There's a great list of drivers in the Bali forums section of this site.
Ibah is well located for the town - we didn't find it "out of town" at all. It's a ten minute stroll from Ubud central, and in my view it's better to be out of the very centre, although Ubud does close down after 11pm, so it's not raucous.
We ate in town except for breakfast and two other meals - the first was a lunch, which was pretty ordinary (USD10 for a salad, which was basically leaves and carrot, and missing the avocado advertised on the menu); and a very good dinner from a set menu on the last night (part of our package).
Ibah is a special place - accommodation built around a landscape and some pre-exisiting structures. It's not cutting-edge designer top-of-the-tree accommodation in Bali anymore, but it is lovely and would be impossible for others to emulate.

1 Thank tongi