“Paradise at the End of the Road'”

Warwick Ibah Luxury Villas & Spa
Ranked #6 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 17 June 2011

After a delayed, then canclled flight ( thank you Jetstar) we arrived a day late after a couple of explanatory phone calls, only to be welcomed like dear friends. The Designated Spouse Equivalent and I after 25 years of together, were having only our third holiday alone and could not have asked for a more beutiful, restful, delicious experience. The Frangipanui Villa that we had was gorgeous, every little detials charmingly reaslised. To wake the next morning to the view down to the river and across to the grassy hills was to be in a little bit of paradise. The service at breakfast, the warmth of the staff, the great food, nothing too much trouble, the sumptuous and surprisingly vigorous massage...everything was bliss. It looks like it has been there forever but of course it has not. Very much fitting into its surrounds without being obtrusive, the laughter of the kids from the nearby school each morning....What a pity we only stayed the two full days with our three nights...and we were not even charged for the fourth night which we had booked even though they were entitled to charge us and have us go through the travel insurance hassle to try to get a refund. That sort of told me something right there. We will most definitely be back and next time for longer and we may even give the south of Bali a miss all together after this discovery in Ubud.

Room Tip: Frangipana (Room 201)
1  Thank stemar44

Reviewed 13 June 2011

Honestly, after reading the previous "Terrible" review about the manager and the "Poor" review about the worms (by the way both are still unreplied by management !!! ), I could hardly believe it as they confronted with so many positive ones.

So I decided to stay in Ibah in May with my fiance for 5 nights.Ok, the surroundings are beautiful as you've just probably read. But I would like to underline some really bad points.

Minor weak points:
1) The hotel SPA is at least twice more expensive comparing to the most expensive one which I could find in Ubud. The food also of course.
2) The hotel Suites needs renovation at some poitns - electrical sockets sometimes nearly fall off, the sofas are a bit dirty, stained and worn, as well as bedsheets sometimes.
3) The swimming pool is tiny in fact opposite to what you could imagine looking at the web-site photos.
4) I wonder in which vocabulary the 3 complimentary fruits which appeared everyday in 300USD suite are called "BASKET" ?! They cost really cheap in the farmers market, is it hard to make it really basket in luxury suite, as it was promised?
5) The air-con which is quite old, works as noisy as there is the busy highway nearby.

Really serious bad points:
1)I have no insectfobia but there are really a LOT OF ants in the bathroom and in the living room, who would eat any fruit which is in the living room.
2) The further the worse - the "worms" described by Cali22girl in previous "Poor" review really exist. And there are plenty of them! In fact they are not worms - they are Millipedes! And they appear independently of rain and showers! They crawled all the time in bathroom and...sometimes falled on us during the night in the bedroom on the second floor of the suite!!! This is much-much worse than just crawling in the bathroom where you can notice them! The problem is that they could easily cause eczema in allergic people. I could easily predict what could be the reply to this review from the management:"...we try to live in harmony with the nature..."
Ok! Live in harmony! But you're not 20 USD Eco-lodge in some hidden national park - you want to pretend to be luxury hotel, don't you? And here harmony with nature does not mean letting every insect in! It just means not harming nature. BUT in really expensive hotel you MUST seal the cracks&leaks in bathrooms, or to reconstruct it! At least to make some insect - repellent spraying! It is already the 2nd notification from the Guests in 2011 and nothing is done yet!
3) Last point which completely ruined my impression about Ibah is ...yes, management treatment. During check-out I was billed for only 4 nights instead of 5 (VISA card).We immediately told to bill us also the 5th night. Better we did not tell them about it! What they did is completely out of human logic! They said that they would cancel the 4 nights payment to make it 5 nights instead! BUT in fact they billed 4 nights AND then PLUS 5 nights!!!! Of course we have the SMS-banking which immediately reported to us about both operations PLUS we have shown right on the reception right then on their own computer the online banking report about both amounts - 4 nights and 5 nights.
They could not disagree after that and made cancelling operation for the 4-nights payments, BUT after that the 1100USD amount remains still blocked already for 3 weeks! May be they apologized?.. NO! We were departing anyway so hell with us???

10  Thank Alex_JaneRu
WarwickIBAH, General Manager at Warwick Ibah Luxury Villas & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2011

Dear Alex-JaneRu,

It is clear by the strength of your comments and extent of your descriptions that you were disappointed in your recent stay. I would like to offer you my apologies and empathy where our pricing, product and services did not meet your expectations.

I regret that none of your complaints were brought to my attention during the course of your stay, even though we met, and weeks later trip advisor is my first opportunity to address these points from your 5-nights with us.

I am pleased to advise that Warwick Ibah Luxury Villas & Spa has recently completed a full interior refurbishment, a substantial upgrade to the resort infrastructure, and 90% complete installing new roofs over all accommodation and public areas.

At our resort we pride ourselves on a long record of satisfied guests, and I encourage all future guests to please bring to our attention any shortfalls in pricing, product or services as soon as you are aware of them so that we may address these for you in a timely manner, and take corrective measures where necessary.

We are proud of our product and ability to satisfy our guests’ expectations, and I hope you will return to experience our most beautiful Bali resort again sometime in the future.

Reviewed 12 June 2011

We came here for the first leg of our honeymoon, we stayed in 206- the Kanna Treetop Suite. We walked from the beautiful outdoor lobby over a little bridge, then up a stone path and down some stairs to get to our room. If you have trouble walking it's probably best to ask for the rooms closer to the lobby but I enjoyed our little walk each morning and evening.

They gave us a beautiful honeymoon offering for our arrival which made us feel like one of the locals, the room had a large king sized bed, big walk through closet and nice sized bathroom with separate toilet/shower/bath. They also delivered a delicious welcome drink about 10 minutes after we arrived.

Our view was of lots of trees and greenery, you certainly did not feel like you were in a small city. It was very quiet with only the sounds of the birds and bugs in the morning and at night.

The service of the staff was really great, everyone said hello and wanted to be of service, from housekeeping the the restaurant. The shuttle was always available to us to go out on the main street in Ubud, but we choose for the most part to walk the 5 minutes into town. The location is fabulous, you feel like you're out in the country but really you're a few minutes away from the restaurants and stores.

We didn't get breakfast included in our rate, but we had breakfast at the restaurant each morning a la carte. I tried several different things on the menu- banana pancakes, crepes and french toast. Each were good. The price for breakfast was not very expensive either when we got the final bill. We got room service once and had basic Indonesian food which was good as well.

They have two computers in the lobby that you can use anytime to go on the internet as well which was very helpful.

The spa was nice as well, I got a traditional Balinese massage, the woman who did the massage was very through- they gave you cold towels and tea before and after the treatment. I didn't try any other places in Ubud for a massage but the rate was VERY reasonable to someone who is used to NYC prices.

The reason for my average rating is two things:

1. The room felt very sticky and humid, even with the air conditioner at full force. When we arrived the first day the air conditioner was leaking all over the floor. We let them know at the desk and two days later they came to fix it. While we were waiting there was a towel down, which they changed out each night. Once it was fixed it felt a little better, but still had that overwhelming humid feel to it.

2. I'm not the most outdoorsy person and Bali is set very outdoors. All the restaurants have no doors and are open air, doors and windows are left open. So bugs and little lizards are everywhere. Now, this could go for all hotels in Ubud (even the upscale) but I don't like any outdoorsy things (ants, spiders, mosquitos, etc.) inside my room. Everyone seems to have a very laissez-faire attitude about this but I was a bit peeved by the amount of ants all over the wood in the bathroom, on the desk in the living room and random other things hanging around. My husband said I needed to ignore it because "that was the way things were there" so I didn't complain about it to the staff but I assumed when housekeeping cleaned they would try to get rid of the bugs as best as possible?

If you can get over the above two things this place is an excellent more upscale option to hotels in Ubud.

Room Tip: Tell them it's your honeymoon
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
WarwickIBAH, General Manager at Warwick Ibah Luxury Villas & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2011

Dear Scarlett755,

Thank you for an excellent review of your recent stay at Warwick Ibah Luxury Villas & Spa.

Although there are numerous insects about in our tropical and forested environment we have systems in place to keep them well outside the interiors of the accommodation. Obviously these were not effective during your stay. Please accept my apologies for this and please be assured the matter will be fully investigated and dealt with.

In Bali from time to time “Geckos” are found indoors – these creatures are common to all resorts on the island including the most expensive. They are harmless and considered holy creatures by the Balinese people.

I regret and apologize for the delay to your air-conditioning repair - even though the evenings are cool outside presently, a room change would be necessary in this case. If you would please contact me directly for your next stay with us so that I may handle your reservation personally.

Please be assured we take all reviews seriously in order to improve our product and services for the benefit of future guests. Thank you for a constructive review.

Reviewed 8 June 2011

We stayed at Ibah for 3 nights,wish it would have been longer.We were treated like family,the staff are amazing was so sad to leave them.wanted to stay somewhere nice for our anniversary and we could not have found better then Ibah.Food was beautiful,thanks to a great chef.Love the gardens the guys work all day keeping them looking good,love the pool area.We stayed in Oleander Villa with pool and it was everythink we could ask for.We will be going back to Ibah on our next trip to Bali.Looking forward to catching up with beautiful wayan,Ketut and Komang,you made our stay one we will never forget.Terima Kkasih.

1  Thank tanaFrederickton
Reviewed 23 May 2011

From the moment we arrived we were more than happy that we had chosen IBAH. The rooms were lovely and our two bedroom villa(Frangipani) was all that we had hoped it would be large master bedroom with ensuite, second bedroom onto outside living area with separate bathroom and a decent size plunge pool.

There isn't one thing that caused me any major irritation which is a feat for me! The hotel has wonderful traditional Balinese architecture everywhere and it was a joy to wander down to breakfast. The staff, everyone of them were helpful, courteous and friendly, an asset to the hotel. To illustrate my husband had previously booked a table in the restaurant for my birthday and when we got back to the villa two of the restuarant staff brought a birthday cake to the room and sang happy birthday!

The steps can be a little slippery after the rain but then forewarned is forearmed.

The hotel is situated about 10 minutes walk into Ubud, nearby restaurants that we could recommend are Murni's Warung and Bridges(for a special occasion as expensive) but in truth The Paeon and The Three monkeys were also good. The hotel restaurant is aimed at a "fine dining" experience and reflects that in its prices.

So all in all as near to a perfect holiday as you could get. If you need a recommendation for a guide please feel free to pm us.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Clarendoug
Reviewed 8 May 2011

this is not a hotel designed for older folks - the lights from the reception to the rooms were dim and of uneven brightness. the steps for the footpaths and rooms were uneven and posed problems even for more sprightly guests especially on wet days when we were there. this hotel is not for older folks and avoid wet days,
the toilet for our Ibah suite was big but with only 1 small glass sink for a couple to share. the door between the bedroom and toilet was too tight to handle. the hotel should know this from its chamber staff and rectify prior to guest;s occupation.
hotel has beautiful sculptures and garden layout though.
the saving grace - excellent staff and service.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anthony9963
WarwickIBAH, General Manager at Warwick Ibah Luxury Villas & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2011

Dear Anthony9963,

Thank you for these comments from your recent stay. Regarding the stone pathways we receive regular feedback that the do add to the allure of the resort and are loved by many return guests, but we also understand and regret that they are not for some.

I am pleased to advise our new treetops suites are equipped with twin-basins in spacious bathrooms, and our engineering team has investigated the tightness issue in your bathroom door and all similar doorways.

Thank you also for your comments on the beauty of the gardens, our excellent staff and services. We sincerely appreciate your review and actively include your feedback in our development plans and training programs.

I hope one day you will return to Warwick Ibah to enjoy the improved facilities and services.

Reviewed 7 May 2011

I stayed at the Ibah for a holiday. I was a solo traveler.

I arrived and found out I had been upgraded free of charge to a villa. What a wonderful surprise!! The villa was divine!! Absolutely everything was perfect. LOVED the villa.

Ibah is located perhaps 5 minute walk from the middle of Ubud. There is a free shuttle from the hotel that comes in handy because it's quite humid!

The breakfast was okay - The amercian breakfast wasn't that great but everything else on the menu was lovely. Restaurant staff were FANTASTIC! Polite, attentive, helpful - just perfect.

The reception staff were not so great. I had organised an all day tour through reception and the tour was the worst day ever. It cost AUD $110 for the day which I found out only included the driver. I had to pay for everything else, which they did not tell me. Also found out that all of the destinations had government costs, local 'donations', temple donations and then other donations. Was an absolute waste of time and money. Reception didn't advise that there were significant costs (I had to pay almost $300 AUD just in stupid 'donations' that aren't donations at all). Reception should have advised what was involved and costs associated with the tour because if I had known, I wouldn't have gone. I was lead to believe that all costs were included. DON'T DO TOURS THROUGH RECEPTION/HOTEL. I would suggest researching local tour companies. I was on my own and at the various sites, was definitely taken advantage of by the locals and my driver just left me to figure things out for myself.

Also used the shuttle service often. Had one bad experience where they forgot to pick me up. Was not happy at all as I had prearranged this and went to an out of the way location. Was left sitting in a remote area trying to figure out how to get back. Had to find a pay phone to reverse charges to Australia to get a friend to call the hotel to come and get me. When I spoke to them about this, reception staff didn't give a toss about forgetting me. Was very very angry about this experience.

The spa staff were fantastic. I had the essential ibah treatment and loved it! It's quite expensive especially for Ibah but it was my last day, so thought I'd splurge!

Just an FYI. As it rains quite a bit, just be careful around the hotel with the slippery stone steps. I fell twice due to wet weather and ended up with bruises on my bum. Not really the hotel's fault, but just an FYI to be careful.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Chanelno18

Dear Chanelno18,

Thank you for the review of your stay at Warwick Ibah and for bringing to my attention the issue and disappointment with your day tour.

Please rest assured that I have met with our reception team on the subject. As an immediate correction to procedure we must be clearer to guests that an 8-hour day tour includes the private vehicle and uniformed driver but does not include guide services, entrance fees or “donations”. We should always recommend the guide services particularly when guests are traveling alone. Please accept my apology if this was not advised before you left for the day trip.

The complimentary shuttle service in the Ubud area is subject to heavy traffic conditions, and we regret occasionally delays occur as a result. I am advised our driver was on the way to collect on the day but was blocked in traffic as a result of local ceremonies.

Thank you also for your kind feedback regarding your villa upgrade, our location, the food, the Spa, the staff and their service. Again please accept my apologies for the misunderstanding and where our procedure let you down. We appreciate you staying with us and hope you will return again soon.