Warwick Ibah Luxury Villas & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Gajah Biru Bungalows(Ubud)
  • Pool
All reviewstreetop suiteancient templeindiana jonesthe rivermoss coveredoutdoor showerfree shuttlestone carvingsour honeymooncampuhan ridgebeautiful hotelshuttle servicethe complimentary afternoon teaprivate gardenclose to townlush gardensthe location is perfect
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 October 2013

This hotel was the third hotel during our honeymoon tour of Bali.
Upon arrival I thought the hotel was very nice, I loved the style which reminded me of indiana Jones movies (rocks, trees etc..) but I was disappointed by the hotel in general.
Okay, let me be more specific here : It is a nice hotel, BUT since I had three other hotels in Bali to compare with, it was my least favorite.

First of all, it is located in the hills and it was very humid and rainy although it was sunny and warm in the rest of the island, but it would be unfair to base myself on the weather since it is hardly the management's faults.

My first impression upon arrival was that nobody came to greet us even though it was mid afternoon and staff was present at the front desk, merely watching us carry our luggage.
The welcome was professional but snob and unfriendly. I had the feeling the desk associate was looking down on us, maybe because we were a young couple, although we had the money, I automatically felt not enclined to spend it there.

Our room was located quite near the reception and restaurant but we had to climb a whole lot of slippery outdoor steps to get there, luckily we did not have to carry our own luggage THIS TIME !
Overall, due to the humidity in this area of Bali, there was a lot of slippery moss and mold everywhere which, I know, is hardly controllable, but still gave a sense of lack of cleanlyness .

We had booked a pool villa, which was admitedly very nice, overlooking rice plantations and with an open outlook.
The room was nicely furnished with TV, tea & coffee making facilities, complimentary mineral water, safe, A/C, huge bed with anti moskito etc... but the bathroom had humidity smell wich had to be artificially covered with some scented candles. The bath was leaking and hot water lacked pressure and there were many ants crawling in the bathroom (probably came from the garden, but still...).
There was also (as in most hotels in Bali) an outdoor shower which I could not try since the water took forever to warm up and the pressure was so bad.

We had to call maintenance to get it fixed, the job was done, more or less efficiently since the bath continued to leak, but we did not ask for another intervention since we only stayed 2 nights.
We called room service for a bottle of wine and some snacks and were promptly and professionally served, however, service for breakfast was seriously lacking professionalism.

For example, my husband ordered semi boiled eggs, but they came without a spoon.
He had to ask twice before getting it, and by that time, his eggs were merely warm, or, on the contrary, sometimes, we could see our order sitting on a tray with no staff bringing it to our table although some staff were clearly iddle.
The staff was friendly and polite, but service was slow and not very efficient.
We had one dinner at the hotel, and I ordered a glass of wine to go with my food. The glass of wine came as an appetizer so, by the time my food was deliveredy to our table, the wine was not cold anymore.
Prices were okay, although on the expensive side for Bali.

There was no fitness room but the hotel offered a shuttle to take me to a local gym if I wanted to. SInce it rained I declined the offer but I appreciated the possibilities.
I had a massage at the SPA and during the massage, the electricity went off, kind of unsettling when suddenly the relaxing music goes off and you can ear the clatter from the restaurant (the spa is located above the restaurant).
I was not offered a compensation, and I didn't ask, but I was kind of looking forward to moving to the next hotel by that time.

Although the hotel was not the best, it must be said that its location is nice, Ubud is a very touristy place with many shops (on the expensive side), balinese dance shows, and many restaurants. I recommand to try some of the restaurants in the main street because they are good and twice less expensive as the hotel.
Do not be scared to lunch or dine out of hotels during your stay in Bali because I was not sick once during the whole stay and I found the local restaurants are sometimes even better than hotel restaurants.

Overall, I would not really recommand the Warwick because it lacked maintenance and it showed, the service was approximative, but most of all, I did not appreciate the snobbish behavior of some of the staff. It put me off since the first day.
Although the hotel IS nice looking, I think there are many better hotels in Bali in the same price range.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
WarwickIBAH, General Manager at Warwick Ibah Luxury Villas & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Dear Parisianna,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay here on Tripadvisor.com

Please rest assured we take all reviews seriously and have investigated your points. We have also addressed actionable areas in view of preventative maintenance to improve our product and services for future guests.

I certainly regret and apologize for any experience with our personnel you found unsatisfactory, and this has been discussed with department supervisors. We are committed to exceeding guest expectations and will use your points for discussion in our service training programs.

Thank you also for mentioning our excellent location and the beauty and character of the resort. We are glad overall you enjoyed your honeymoon and hope you will return to Bali soon.

Stuart Gemmell

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Our family of four recently stayed four nights in two interconnecting Treetops suites. The bedrooms and bathrooms were huge as was the undercover balconies. The balconies were more like an outside room with spectacular views of the rainforest and river. The suites are at the end of a beautifully aged pathway surrounded by carvings and spectacular gardens and water features. This allowed absolute silence and privacy.

Food was very good. Service was excellent. The pool area was spectacular. The spa very good. Free shuttle anytime for nearby restaurants or attractions.

Walking distance to Bridges restaurant on the river and Pomegranate café amongst the rice fields, both of which should not be missed.

Thank you Ibah, we will be back!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 September 2013

We stayed here for two nights in September and I cannot recommend this hotel enough. It manages to be luxurious and premium without being pretentious. Ubud is quite a crazy town in terms of traffic and people and this hotel feels like a world away from the chaos.

We stayed in a garden villa which was out of this world, like a colonial villa in the middle of the jungle. The pool is set out beautifully and never feels busy. The spa treatments are also very good and worth the extra money compared to what you might be able to get in ubud. We only ate breakfast and snacks at the hotel but everything was very good. When you want to venture into ubud, there is a free shuttle service that will take you and pick you up from any where.

Top tip: get breakfast on your terrace one morning. They deliver it all directly and it doesn't cost any extra

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Within walking distance to Ubud and in the midst of nature is this beautiful hotel! Walking on the hotel grounds is an attraction per se. And the room has lots of surprises such as the additional shower in the open, the verandas with great view of the surrounding nature. Highly recommended base to experience Ubud! The free of charge shuttle service was always on stand by willing to take to any address in Ubud, and to drive back when needed. Rooms were clearly 5-star hotel, as were the facilities. The children enjoyed the place, and commented it was like living in an Indiana Jones movie, with all its charm. Whoever planned the architecture of the place did an amazing job!

However, the staff did some time lack the attention to details, such as when room service is delivered 90% according to order, and when breakfast take unproportionally long time to serve. Any time we complained the staff made up for it though, always smiling, trying to correct things. However, given the struggling service level it does not fully live up to the 5 stars - but is definitely worth wile a visit! I add a link to some of the vacation photos we took of the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank Anders F
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We found the property to be beautiful and extremely well located. We really appreciated the free shuttle service and the levels of privacy within each villa, as well as the general ambiance. We were provided with a lovely bouquet as we were celebrating our wedding anniversary.

We would, though, suggest some areas for improvement. The first being the breakfast, which while generally good, needs to be improved to bring it up to luxury hotel standards. Specifically, the cooking needs to be more precise and consistent, we found the poached eggs to vary from undercooked to overcooked over the period of our stay. Guests should always be served freshly brewed tea and coffee and the staff should be trained to understand this and comply when requested. Also, the jams are cheap and unpleasant.

The turn down service is a mystery. On our first night the staff came to our room for the turn down service and we made our requirements clear - blinds down, bed curtains opened. Subsequently, the turn down service failed to materialise, when requested your staff did come to the room but clearly had not noted our preference. This really is not acceptable for a luxury hotel. Additionally, we had an odd incident when the cleaning staff turned up while we were having breakfast outside our room and it became apparent that the motivation for this was that the 'supervisor' was angling for a tip, as he would not be there when we left the hotel. Really!

Finally, the water pressure from the shower in our bathroom was really low - a minor point, but one that should be addressed.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Incedo
WarwickIBAH, General Manager at Warwick Ibah Luxury Villas & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Dear Incendo,

Thank you very much for your review here on Tripadvisor.com. Thank you also for recognizing the overall beauty of the resort and how extremely well located we are in the Ubud area.

Please rest assured we take all feedback seriously and share your comments, good and not so good, with our team. Please accept my apologies for where our services did not meet your expectations. Your points regarding breakfast are helpful and have been taken up with our Chefs. Your comment regarding the jams came as a surprise as we often feature locally made jams using exotic fruits, and these are normally well received.

Please also accept my apology for the turndown team not meeting your specified requirements; we are certainly in a position to fulfill all that you have mentioned here and regret that your instructions did not materialize the following day. For future stays I encourage guests to please inform a supervisor of your needs and insist to speak with a manager immediately, if services are found to be unsatisfactory.

Thank you also for mentioning the wonderful general ambiance of the resort and appreciating the complimentary on-call shuttle service into town.

We hope you will return to Ubud and stay with us again.

Stuart Gemmell