I booked our honeymoon to Bali a year ago and the most part I was looking forward to was staying at the Komaneka.. The reviews thus far have been very complimentary. Now having been there I feel that the rating is a little misleading and while not bad, it is not an amazing place to stay and I would certainly not put it in the top 5 in Bali.
We stayed in a villa with a pool (room 103) and have the following negative feedback:
- not for the squeamish nor faint-hearted. TONS of lizards/geckos, ants (tiny and giant ones), frogs and other creatures. Some nights we couldn't sleep and I'd get up at least 3 times from the sound of a lizard making high-pitched noises really close to my head. It was terrifying!
- the bathroom is partially outdoors, the bathtub sits in a fish pond and like i mentioned, lots of creatures and frogs chilling on the edge of the bathtub. I had to have my husband do a check of the bathroom in order for me to use it every time.
- The staff are friendly but nothing out of this world. The Balinese are extremely friendly and welcoming and the service/treatment we received here did not surpass the previous resort we had been to.
- The food is good for lunch/dinner but breakfast was inedible some mornings. Pancakes being completely yellow with grease rather than fluffy and cooked properly.
- As a hotel recommended for honeymooners, you don't expect the majority of the guests to be mature.. I would say this is a hotel probably more suited to older couples.
- The noise levels from all the birds, roosters (every hour of the day and night!), frogs, lizards, etc were too high and non-stop.
On the plus side, they were gracious in their service, the spa was nice.. my manicure wasn't amazing but my husband loved his 90 minute aromatherapy massage. My facial was more of a facial massage that was a very relaxing rather than a very cleansing experience. No complaints though!
Lunch and dinner at the Garden Terrace was very good. The location, in the heart of monkey forest road, is very convenient. Though if you're expecting monkeys at your window you'll be disappointed ;) All in all an interesting experience but I would not recommend it given the cost, and I would not go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Komaneka at Monkey Forest began as a residence for artists behind the prestigious Komaneka Gallery, specializing in fine contemporary Indonesian and Balinese art. Now recently renovated with luxurious suites, an infinity pool, open-air restaurant, spa, and pool villas, all in a lush garden with mature shade trees, this is a very special oasis. The resort's location on the Monkey Forest Road gives immediate access to the Ubud market and all the cultural activities of the Ubud palace, Puri Ubud, residence of Ubud's ruling family. At the other end of this bustling street, lined with restaurants and boutiques, is a sacred monkey forest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Komaneka at Monkey Forest reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Komaneka At Monkey Forest Hotel Ubud
- Komaneka At Monkey Forest Ubud, Bali