“Brilliant!”

Ranked #12 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
London
“Brilliant!”
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Good location! Good service, Great food..not much else I can ask for.

Not too sure if this is common in this area, but our room was full of all sorts on ants/insects. Howeever, we believe this is expected in a Villa in this sort of location. This did affect our sleep, but if you are not too fussed about this, then no problems. Otherwise, don't go for a villa type resort.

Besides that, we loved it.

Very nice infinity pool, looking out onto the rice paddies..

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Urvesh

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 25 April 2012 via mobile

On one of the main streets of Ubud but once you walk into the lobby, the beautiful, garden surrounds are quiet and peaceful. The hotel staff are fantastic, warm and friendly at all times of the day or night ... I arrived at 1:00 am and was greeted warmly with a fresh fruit drink and cold towel. I'm certain I said 'wow' out loud as I entered my room ... a large, canopy bed with rose petals on the bedspread! A large, sunken bath tub and a separate shower ... my bed was turned down every night with a nice, silky night shirt waiting for me on the bed ... all this plus a great, private verandah overlooking a rice field! The hotel organised a day tour for me; a private air-conditioned car with a guide who spoke excellent English ... ask for Gde ... couldn't ask for a nicer young man ... had a great day out and learnt so much about the culture ... thank you Gde!

Stayed April 2012
3 Thank NikkiBlas
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We are just back from 8 nights at the wonderful Komaneka at Monkey Forest. We thoroughly enjoyed the wonderful pool villa (Room 103) with the view of the jungle gorge. It was beautifully appointed and well maintained. My husband was glad to have a lounger in the shade of a tree while I enjoyed a patch of sunshine. We found the staff very friendly, efficient, and gracious. They went out of their way to make our stay a pleasure. If first level staff did not understand our question (probably due to working in another language) they quickly referred us to other staff. Although the main road is very busy, this means there are lots of stores and restaurants easily accessible. Once you walk through the lobby of the hotel you are in a peaceful garden setting. Do book some sessions at the spa- which is really lovely. Where else can you have a massage with fresh air in the room and the sound or birds or enjoy a pedicure looking over rice paddies? We also enjoyed the ample breakfast menu. Our favourite restaurant in town was the Three Monkeys - just a few doors down the street. If visiting the monkey park is on your list of activities you may want to go early in the morning before the tourist buses arrive.
the park is a quiet, shady spot for a walk at 7:00 or 8:00
Komaneka will remain in our memories as an ideal vacation destination. We hope to return again soon

Room Tip: Ask to see your room first. There was construction going on at another property at one side of the...
3 Thank wannagoVancouver
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I just recently move to Bali and found it amazing. Lucky that my company assigned me to handle our office in Bali, and can make me explore the island of God,,as far as I want.
People said that Ubud has its exotic and very different with the area that I stay here in Bali, Seminyak.
So,,I tried to do random search with place to go, eat and etc etc in Ubud, and lucky good friend of mine helped me with this, and took me to Komaneka at Monkey Forest. Be careful, because there are two Komaneka at that Monkey Forest road, and ensure that your driver take you to the right one, it is easy. If you find a building type with no trees and garden,,than you are at the correct Komaneka that I went.
So..back to our journey exploring Ubud, here we are at Komaneka. Beautiful garden, very quite if you could see the location is exactly at the main area, and we were at the lost oasis.
We had a very warm and VIP welcome from the Front staff, and in a beautiful choir,,"good afternoon, welcome to KOmaneka" I guess they practiced it a lot, in good way. Even though we just outside guests, they were very attentive to us, and the manager took us and showed us around. We finally decided to try the spa, had a massage and lunch by their pool.
After the massage, oh,,my,,,you should try it. Those girls blew us away. We were pampered and spoiled, and forgot us about the traffic jam that we had from Seminyak to Ubud. We were just like the newly born babies. Perfect!!! The spa is very eco friendly, you can feel the breeze from the rice paddy. Make sure you enjoy the jacuzzi and their steam after your treatment. I forgot to tell that I love the tamarind drink and ginger drink that they served. And hey,,,even the cookies, it is very healthy cookies. I love them!!!!!!
After spa, lunch was the best choice. Forget about the western food, we are in Ubud, so, duck is the best pick. And their crispy duck,,,OUTSTANDING!!!! I could not pick the writer words to describe it,,but I just love it!
The staff, the spa,,the food,,ohh,,cant ask for more...I just wondering,,they treated us, as their non in house guests like a queen,,what do they do with their hotel guests? Like god or goddess?I bet so,,

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank CJRobert
Hong Kong
Reviewed 12 April 2012

The hotel is located near the center of Ubud, with plenty of restaurants and shops next to the hotel.
However, the hotel is vey quiet once you enter it. The staff is vey friendly and can call you by name. There are 20 rooms only, but the hotel is still quite spacious. The rooms are good and comfortable.

We would like to see some improvement in the laundry of the hotel accessories and it will be near perfect.

The Wayan Cafe just opposite the hotel is a must-visit for lunch and dinner?

3 Thank KokHongKong
Cranbourne, Australia
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Stayed in pool villa (room 101) and it was beautifully appointed, and have a reasonable view of the hotel being built across the gully.
What was disappointing was the staff and their unhelpful attitude. For an alleged 5 star resort it was totally unacceptable. Being told an emphatic "NO" when asking about staying a little longer in our room while we wait for our transport to the airport, and the same answer when we asked if we could be taken to local restaurant. The other thing I found totally unacceptable was to be approached by staff while having breakfast who were trying to spruik dinner at the restaurant and then the same spiel while trying to enjoy afternoon tea. Also found sitting outside your room while waiting for housekeeping to make it up also annoying.
I did raise this via their guest feedback form and received a response from the manager offering one night's accommodation plus more. Unfortunately a little too late...
The location is pretty good.
Overall my experience was not a good one. Others have obviously had a different experience. I class myself as a seasoned Bali traveller and have always been impressed by Balinese courtesy and service. This time I was pretty underwhelmed.
For the money, I'd stay somewhere else. I won't stay here again and nor recommend Komaneka at Monkey Forest as place to stay in Ubud.

5 Thank Lake_Eildon
Brisbane
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We went back to the Komaneka Monkey Forest for the second year in a row, after our wonderful stay last year. Again, we were blown away by the wonderful staff and service. The location of this property is perfect for wandering the lovely streets of Ubud. The villas are beautifully appointed, although I have to agree with the lady who mentioned the lack of lighting in the bathroom - it is just a little dark.. :) We had arranged for the hotel to pick us up from the airport, while on our way to Ubud my husband (who was very happy to be back in Bali) mentioned that he couldn't wait to get to the hotel and have a Bintang! To his delight, the driver had a nice cold beer sitting in the cooler on the front seat! We will definitely be back. And next time, will stay longer!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple