“Great location, excellent hospitality”

Komaneka at Monkey Forest
Ranked #18 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Great location, excellent hospitality”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Me and my wife were honeymooning in Bali and while visiting Ubud we chose Komaneka for our stay. The hotel location is great, right at the heart of the town, convenient location for shopping and lots of other restaurants nearby. Also the monkey forest and the Ubud palace are all at a walking distance.The stay was very pleasant and their hospitality was heart-warming. We had a late night flight and so we requested for a late check out and our check out time was extended by a couple of hours. Moreover since we had time to kill the hotel arranged their driver to take us to visit the art museum nearby. Also we were allowed to use the shower and other hotel facilities to relax and freshen up until we were ready to leave. It was a great experience staying at Komaneka. The only downside to this property is that there were mosquitoes and other insects around and I did get bite quite a few times. I could see during the day there were staff spraying insecticides but with all the greenery around insects are inevitable. Still I feel more serious measures have to be taken to control this. But overall it was a great experience staying at Komaneka.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank VMP007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Greater Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

We have travelled to Bali 7 times and always stayed within Sanur area, however for something different we decided to spend 4 nights in Ubud this trip. We had decided on the Komaneka at Monkey Forest and upgraded to a pool villa that overlooked the rice paddies. These villas are centrally located in Ubud and easy walk to shops, restaurants and the monkey forest. The highlight for us though was the personal approach the hotel put into making us feel special. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel very welcome by Dewi and the staff.....including every staff member greeting us by our Christian name throughout our stay. The personal approach taken by all the staff made this a memorable stay. I have stayed at a lot of hotels in various parts of the world, but the customer service and intimacy shown by this team stands head and shoulders above any other complex. If you are considering this hotel, you will not be disappointed.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Tony G
San Diego, California
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

My sister and I went backpacking through Indonesia and wanted to end our trip on a more luxurious level. The room was on an upper level so the view was lush and private. The employees were so polite and the accommodations were great. The spa facilities are lovely. We were able to leave our backpacks after we checked out at the front desk and still use the facilities at the spa to relax and freshen up before our red eye. The complimentary breakfast was delicious. The monkey forest is close by and there are a plethora of shops and dining options. I cannot say enough good things about this place. Great location and great friendly staff. I will come back!

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank heathahunta
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 March 2014

This was a mixed bag, some good, some bad. First the good.

The pool was beautiful, always clean with a great view over a little valley. A great place to relax … some of the time. (More on that below.)

The service was very nice as well. When you got to the pool someone appeared almost immediately with a glass of cold water, and the service throughout the place was consistently good. Staff learned your name on arrival, making you feel welcome.

Food quality was … mixed. We only ate breakfast there, and the eggs were almost never cooked through. Even when I asked them to cook them “well done,” the whites were more runny than I would have expected or wanted. At the same time, though, they were nicely flexible in the selections so I appreciated that.

The big problem for me, at least, was the ongoing construction. They are in the process of doing a total rebuild of one of the larger buildings on the property, and so for much of the day there is significant construction noise. To their credit, they offered to move us to a sister property that was very nice, but it was outside of Ubud and we’d reserved this hotel because we wanted to be in the city. Given the awful traffic in Bali, the idea of taking a shuttle in and back whenever you want to go into the city wasn’t very attractive. As long as that construction is ongoing, I would recommend staying at another hotel, either Komaneka’s property outside of Bali or a different hotel in Ubud.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank CambridgeJim2014
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

I cannot rate the services of the hotel for one very specific reason: I WAS NEVER GIVEN THE ROOM I HAD BOOKED. But I can rate the treatment I got at check-in! Read on because it gets very interesting.

On 20th March 2014 I booked a room at Komaneka Monkey Forest Road for the following day. I booked through Booking.com.

Having visited Ubud many times before, I thought the hotel location and good reviews would make for a perfect combination. Was I wrong!

Upon arrival I was greeted by a very friendly group of 5 attendants all very worried about making me feel welcomed. They offered me a drink and cold towels, asked about my trip, commented on how wonderful Bali is and made nice comments about my home country. All seemed perfect.

I was asked to fill in a form and sign a couple of registration slips. They asked for my credit card and charged the room on it.

The moment I signed the credit card slip everything changed.

Immediately after paying for the reservation (which was not cheap), I was told there was no room for me at the hotel and that I was being sent to a "sister property".

After asking about the details of the sister property, I discovered I was being sent far away from the location I had chosen. My second option was a much lower standard hotel. I know Ubud quite well, so I could immediately spot the trick. I protested and said I did not agree.

I was then very rudely told there was no option. There had been a mistake and the hotel was full. I was also told that reservations done directly at the hotel system had preference over those done through other booking websites.

I said it was all unacceptable and that I would only settle for a room at that specific hotel. By then it was a showdown at the reception. With screams being exchanged and very rude remarks from the same staff that minutes earlier were smiling and attentive.

I asked for a refund of my payment in cash and that was denied. The refund through the credit card takes 2 weeks to be processed!

So I eventually left with no room, carrying my bag around the streets. No help from anyone.

One very interesting fact: at the same moment I was being sent away, the booking.com website still advertised rooms at that very same hotel, for that very same night! It all seems to be a trick to fool guests.

The hotel chain is obviously using its flagship property at Monkey Forest Road as bait to attract tourists and fill up other much less attractive "sister hotels", that are either not so well located or are of a lower standard. It seems to be a very well rehearsed scheme.

I understand overbookings and I know mistakes do happen sometimes. But this was none of that. I felt tricked and disrespected.

So beware! Book Komaneka at your own risk!!

I will never do it again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
40 Thank EduardoCancado
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 22 March 2014

We spent our first night in Bali at Komaneka at Monkey Forest (before switching to a suite at Komaneka at Bismas due to closeby construction) and can't say enough about the welcome and personal attention given to us by Dewi and her staff at Monkey Forest during our stay. Every person we were in contact with, including driver Wayan who greeted us at 1:30 a.m. at the Densapar Airport with cool towels, water and a smile; the front desk staff welcoming us to the hotel at 3 a.m. with tea and cookies, the staff in the restaurant and the spa, and Ede who helped us transition smoothly to Bismas was genuinely interested in our comfort and seeing that our experiences in Ubud were memorable. Through our conversations with them we learned a lot about Balinese culture and from their actions, we learned a lot about the Balinese soul. We are grateful for the experience.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Kampen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 14 March 2014

The Komaneka chain owns 4 hotels in the Ubud area. The hotels are relatively small, which offers customer intimicy and a personal, tailor made approach. Having enjoyed our first stay at Komaneka Monkey Forest a lot (3 years ago) we choose the hotel for our second stay in Ubud. And although we knew what to expect, the revisit was a warm experience. The staff really wants you to feel at home. And with staff we mean the complete staff. It is such a peaceful hotel, just a few steps away from the bussy Monkey forest road. The garden is well maintained. The rooms are superb as are the facilities. Everyday the staff managed to surprise us. It started with an upgrade at check in, followed by a cooking class (including lunch), the special diner with dances and performances by the staff, the daily afternoon tea, the farewell gift and all the details I forgot. Is there a better place to stay in Ubud? I don't think so. We enjoyed it to the max and will certainly return!!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple