“Good, quiet place to stay”

Taman Harum Cottages
Ranked #114 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 3 September 2011

I had Room 201 (part of a duplex) - located across the path from the reception area. It was two levels with a nice terrace on the 2nd floor. It overlooked rice fields on one side and the infinity pool on the other. The room had good air conditioning, a garden bathroom, lots of hot water and electronic mosquito repellent devices on each level.

There are 12 steep steps to the upper level which had a bed, sofa and TV and a beautiful comfortable terrace with table and chairs, sink and plantings. The lower level had the main bedroom, sitting area, small patio and front garden with two chairs. The included breakfast was good and the service was friendly.

Have the hotel pick you up at the airport as the property can be a little hard to find as it is off a busy street and you look like you are turing into an art gallery’s parking lot. Behind is this secluded, quiet, hospitable place bordered by rice fields. The cost of the airport transfer is comparable to taxi prices.

Lunches and dinners in the hotel restaurant were average. They are building a larger restaurant on the property and I hope the kitchen will improve. There is one computer for public use at 500 rupiah per minute. (about $3.50 per hour)

One afternoon, staff children had run of the pool so noise was a problem.

There is not a whole lot to walk to in the area - across the street is a mini-mart, ATM, moneychanger and place to buy sim cards. Mas is known for its woodworking, so there are small galleries up and down the main street. I didn’t find any restaurants within walking distance.

Thankfully, there is a free shuttle to/from Ubud which leaves you at the Tourist Office, in the center of town.

A staff member told me they are remodeling all the rooms - putting in bathrooms and air conditioning on the second level.

I would stay here again at the beginning or end of a trip as it is a quiet, comfortable place to unwind yet close enough to Ubud (15 minutes) to take advantage of its shopping and restaurants.

Room Tip: Use the hotels transfer service from Denpasar Airport -- this hotel can be a little hard to find.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 14 August 2011

Hi, I wrote the prior review - I trying to point out what was a little different about this place. On reflection after our latest stay it is at a level of providing a pleasant base from which to explore rather that somewhere to stay put for a week. This small group of units retains a simple but quite charming ambiance a lovely eating area and a nice pool. As stated before it is not in the centre of Ubud but this was not a problem for us. Service and food were good for the price.We only had one problem but it did bug us and that was very creaky and not so comfortable beds. (we asked for a change from the first unit). Both units were large but the first rather old, 2 storey and not a user friendly lay out, the 2nd unit was new/contemporary and good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2011

We thought we had made a big mistake when first arrived at this place, but after an incredible nights sleep, it looked and felt different in the light of a beautiful morning. Food was nice,staff were incredible and I loved the balinese music they played. Room is a bit topsy turvey, clean enough but serviced beautifully daily.A few thingshere and there could be better, but for the price we were extremely happy. We had drivers take us into and pick up from town, no worries, and had a trip to the east coast with a great driver at a reasonable price. Basic b/fast and yummy juice(banana and pineapple) this place is out of town, can get a little noisy in the day with carvers but this wasnt a problem.Very nice pool and we had the corner balcony suite which was just great.Loved it and I would stay again. Ubud town was beautiful and lots of resturants,all fantastic. Easy, hasslefree holiday.

Room Tip: Ask for newer rooms,outdoor bahrooms are nice.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank cooliana
Reviewed 11 May 2011

Stayed for three nights,
Slightly miss sold by or booking agency, beaware this is not in Ubud but a good 20min away. There is a free shuttle bus, but if someone else has it tough luck and we visited in a quite period.
Everything looks a bit tatty, and needs some TLC. Rooms looked clean, but the floor was very dirty and had not been cleaned in a long time.
The food is overpriced and although edible thats about it. Eat in Ubud.
The staff whilst pleasant were not very attentive and seemed more interested in sitting down and chatting.
No Mosi nets. No Mosi Coil, No rice field view (only in Villa) from standard room.
Annoying repetitive music played all the time.
Overpriced attached gallery
Aircon is a plus
Free WIFI
It could be OK but they need to smarten things up a bit

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Keithcarol
Reviewed 10 April 2011

Hi everyone, I stayed at this Hotel 10+ years ago and have visited occasionally since for reasons described below. Basically you get what you pay for and I think that the prior reviews give you a good idea of what it is like. Remember that it is pretty economical and while 20min short of Ubud it is 20 min closer to the Airport so like lots of Aussies I will arrive late and will enjoy getting to bed 20 min earlier than would be the case for Ubud or a large hotel (but I will be out of Kuta). The next day I will take it easy and after the 2nd night move on.

But I have another reason for staying there. The owner, Mr Tantra has a true love of the carving of the area and the onsite gallery displays some of the best carving in Bali, sure there are many, many places to view carving and many will be cheaper but in his gallery you have a true represenation of the best of the local area carving, so wonder around the gallery several times while staying. If you fall in love with a piece buy it, as we did. I bought a piece 15 years ago for $US2000 and I enjoy it to this day. When I go back to Bali I like to call into Taman Harum and see if Mr Tantra is in residence, he is always very welcoming and has tea with us. He asks if the statue is in good condition (despite moving it around Australia from desert to coast) - it is. I note that many of the staff are still there from 15 years ago and they also remember us and are very welcoming.

Mr Tantra also owns "Bali Spirit" which is more upmarket and has a good setting ( he tends to direct me there) but he lives at Taman Harum where his wonderful carving collection resides.

Hope you all enjoy your stays and don't take any notice of my star ratings or the date, I won't be going back till July but had to put something there

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sapphire_beach
Reviewed 4 March 2011

This hotel is about 15 minutes drive from Ubud Central. Not to worry as they provide free ride to town and free pickup too.
Central of Ubud can be noisy so, if you are looking for a quiet place to stay, just hanging out with your family and friends, read book, swim in the pool, watch CD - then this is the place for you.
But, if you need to be constantly in touch with starbucks, walk to the ATM machine, spa, market etc - then please look for those hotels/inns at the monket forest street.
All in all, I enjoy my stay, the staffs are friendly, and for the best part - the hotel staff give me a bouquet of flower as a birthday gift. It was my birthday, when I stayed there. Well, that means a lot to me.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 February 2011

We just stayed for a night and we love it except for the fact that it's quite far from the market or Ubud centre. Walking out of the hotel, you don't find so many things except wood carving galleries and several restaurants. Still, the room's nice, breakfast is so so (coffee's not so good) and staff is friendly.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple