“Taman Harum Cottages, Ubud Bali”

Taman Harum Cottages
Ranked #117 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 7 February 2013

Very friendly staffs, large room, semi outdoor bathroom, cool pool with rice paddy's view. A good place to experience tranquility. Tooks 5-10 minutes to downtown Ubud. Shutle cars are available (by appoinment).

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 January 2013

It was a really really hot day when we arrived in Bali, the drive from the airport to our accommodation seem like hours (but it wasn't). I did think much of it when I first got to Taman, but once you made your way down to the reception area, your whole aura changes to a more peaceful feeling. Service with a smile, were given another room with twin beds, only because I book the wrong room and there was no extra charge (thank you) aircon - what a blessing! complimentary water, I guzzled that down. When we settled in first thing on our agenda was a long deserved SWIM! that was 2hrs of blissfulness and our drinks brought out to us by the pool. We ate in on our first night, the staff were awesome.

Next morning was breakfast - european and indonesian noddle breakfast - scrummy.

Free shuttle service "how cool is that!" drop off and pick ups where ever you wanted to go way better than using a freaking taxi!! Great service and drivers are on time. Just give them a time you want to be picked up a find a place that is easy for you. We found that Information Centre (in Ubud) was a good place to get picked up and its central. Just be aware of the folks that will ask if you want to hire a scooter and the taxi drivers.

it pays to chat with the duty manager before hand so when the staff changes over for the morning, the duty manager knows what to expect and it makes the transition easier for them and there is no confusion. I found the duty night managers very helpful indeed, especially booking day tours and asking for sound advice.

WIFI I had no trouble with it, (although some of the reviews I read people were disappointed)the speed was faster than I expected, perhaps I was just lucky everytime I log on :-)

If it's relaxation you're after and a bit of cultural experience then Taman Harum, UBUD has the big thumbs up from me. That will be my first stop of many trips to Bali. Enjoy your stay there because we did! :-)

Room Tip: Aircon, fridge
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Waiariki11
Reviewed 31 December 2012

If you came all the way to Bali because you love to jostle with the shopping crowds, dodge traffic and stare down the tourist touts of Ubud, you're not going to like this hotel. Taman Harum is intensely quiet, unpretentious, and timeless in the Balinese tradition. When I stepped out of the car here, I thought there was some mistake, I had been dropped at one of the Indiana Jones-type Hindu temples that are ubiquitous in Bali. Well yes, I was, and I wasn't. It has the same lost-jungle-antiquity feel, but also the comfortable spaces, precise detailing and attentive-yet-invisible service that marks the places the you want to come back to again and again. The dining room does a very credible job, the pool is delightful, the spa will lull you to sleep, and lush gardens tie everything together. Even the most basic rooms have an open-air garden in the bathroom. Inviting seating areas unfold everywhere. Nobody is pressuring you to do do this or that tour, chilling with a book highly approved. Breakfast is ordered from a multi-cultural menu. The wifi works. The hotel staff will drive you to neaby Ubud any time you want -- but one look at that zoo and I wanted run screaming back to Taman Harum.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Further_to_Fly
Reviewed 12 November 2012

For me Taman Harum feels like a home away from home offering an opportunity to experience tranquaility in a beautiful tropical setting with an attentive and caring staff whose goal is to care for guests in the best way possible. I have read most of the other reviews and while I'm not about to try to challenge the experiences of those people who had complaints I think that staying @ TH is for those who are interested in an authentic Balinese experience vs those who prefer the comparative sterility of a more western style accomodation. There are mosquitos in Bali and if you choose accomodation with an open air bathroom along with all its charms come mosquitos. And the birds and the geckos do make noises along with the chanting from local temples etc but for me those sounds are part of the daily rhythm of life which I love. Each year when I return to TH there has been continual upgrading of the facilities and I am very much looking forward to dining in the new beautiful restaurant which was nearing completion when I left last March. The swimming pool is lovely and very well maintained and there is also a smaller shallower pool perfect for small children or just relaxing. TH is located in Mas which is a short drive from Ubud but complimentary transportation is available and it's wonderful to experience the peace of TH after a day of exploring galleries, shopping, etc. in Ubud. The on site Balinese massage is excellent and offered in traditional vs an ultra modern spa setting. The staff work extremely hard to make guests feel at home and each year I get to see many of the same guests who return over and over as do I. Sari

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank Sari B
Reviewed 9 November 2012

We loved this place! We stayed in the honeymoon suite which was amazing! This room was clean and spacious. Private access to the pool, 2 outdoor patios and a kitchen. The bathroom is open air and very beautiful. Our friend stayed in the standard room which was clean and spacious and also had a beautiful open air bathroom. If you're looking for an authentic Balinese experience and don't want a boring run-of-the-mill hotel, than this is the place for you! The property has beautiful gardens and the restaurant food is fantastic. We ate there every day and the free breakfast is excellent. We also purchased some wood carvings from the beautiful gallery on the property. There is free transportation to Ubud (10 mins) anytime you like from 8am-10pm. Mosquitos were NOT an issue for us. Excellent value for the money, we would return here all the way from Canada again. The pool is also great.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Laura W
Reviewed 2 October 2012

The hotel is in Mas, not in Ubud. Not a problem for us, as we had a car.
The room was dark, full of mosquitos even with the anti-mosquito turned on. The sheets where grey, with hairs on them (thankfully long!)....The bed was extremely uncomfortable, being two singles made in to one double, and the matress was dreadfull.
The room was dark, with small windows that look out on to a porch, and then the garden.
And the bathroom...well....it's open on one side to a wall (so each time you rush in and out you get attacked by mosquitos! The worse thing was the towels, one so so, the other with a very LARGE brown stain, which we had changed. The next day they weren't too great either.
Now, the thing is, I am not picky, honestly, but if I go to a really cheap hotel, I know what to expect, and come prepared (my own towel, a sheet/sleeping bag...) BUT, this wasn't among the cheapest, and it needen't be so dirty. No hand towels are given (?).
They were working on some bungalows opposite (nice and early :-/). And from the reviews it gets from Trip advisor, I should think that these rooms are the good ones. Ours was definitely the worse. There must be many beautiful and cheap hotels in Ubud itself, I don't recommend this one at all. Oh! And the bedspread......well, just filthy.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pixie14Malaga
Reviewed 29 September 2012

We have just returned from our trip in Bali and spent 4 nights staying at Taman Harum cottages. We wished we had spent more time there! It was so peaceful and our cottage was beautiful. The staff where really friendly and able to help you with any issues. The food at the restaurant there was really well priced and lovely and the shuttle bus to Ubud was available whenever we needed it. It was great being able to go into Ubud but then come back to peace and quiet and a lovely swim in the nice pool. We would definitely stay there again if we go back to Bali. Even our teenagers loved it.
We arrived really late on our first night due to plane delays and where accidently put into the wrong bungalow which was actually the older style. The next day we where moved into the newer cottage but to be honest we really liked the decor of the older style rooms, and we hope they dont change them. The outdoor bathrooms where nice and no problems with mosquitos as we just kept the doors closed to the bathroom. They had electrical mossie repellant devices in the rooms which also worked well

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family