“A peaceful haven amongst the paddy fields” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ananda Cottages

Ananda Cottages
Ranked #80 of 192 Hotels in Ubud
Australia
“A peaceful haven amongst the paddy fields”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2011

Despite a rather negative previous review we decided to give Ananda Cottages a go. Had five very relaxing days in our lovely cottage overlooking a small paddy field. Glorious tropical gardens, three swimming pools, great buffet breakfast with lots of fresh fruit and freshly made juices, and no sign of any hawkers made for a very pleasant stay. It's a 20-30 minute walk into the centre of Ubud if you can take heat and humidity, or 25,000 rupiah ($3) to go by car. There are several restaurants out on the main road - one new one called Gill's which specialises in grills is very reasonably priced, or for something more upmarket there's Indus (sister restaurant to the famous Casa Luna) across the road overlooking a lush valley. Pleased we chose to stay out of the bustle and traffic of Central Ubud. I would thoroughly recommend this hotel. We paid $US100 a night including breakfast.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Indonesian first
South Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2011

We stayed at Ananda in August for two nights and loved it. The place is serene and the food is fabulous. There are other retaurants in walking distance and it took about 15mins to walk down to the main street shopping area.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
California City, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

First of all, I had booked this online. I had emailed the agency AND the hotel itself (separately) to confirm that my reservation went through.
And both replied it. I did ths because I heard horror stories, that you can book things on the internet, but the hotels itselfnever get the booking.

Well, guess what. Upon arrival, they couldn't find our RSVP,,, and we had to leave our luggage at the front desk, for a few hours, and come back until they could see if they were any vacancies.

We came back, and they took us into a room, which I suspected was NOT a bungalow, sine it was small like a regular hotel room. But at that point, it was so late at the night.. that no one was around to help us.. (btw, the staff acts like they dont' understand English, when there is a problem)..

The following morning, we asked about that, and they said it was a regular room, And we pointed out that we booked a Bungalow... and then they relocated us.
NEVER an apology.
NEVER an offer to refund our money (since we paid more!! but we had alread prepaid thru booking agency).. but at least give us an extra amenity or something..

Also, I dropped off a few items for laundry service in the early morning, and guess what.. when we came back later in the evening, those same dirty items were sitting on our bed UNWASHED. and of course, when it brought it to the, wondering why they weren't washed--- they again, acted like they couldn't understand English.

Seriously, it was our driver who recommended this..
but i am pretty sure he is getting a commision, the place sucks...

Room Tip: don't bother...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jasmineH20
perth
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

I stayed at Ananda for a week and was really upset when I found "extra" items added to my account. Unfortunately I had paid them before I noticed. The worst was that they were totally disinterested and really didn't care. I believe they have a scam going. If you stay there pay as you go in the restaurant.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank terriwww
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2011

We got a night there at the last moment as we forgot to book hotel in advance for that day. Our room was on the second floor with very good view. It was nice to walk through rice paddle to get to the room. Breakfast was ok with pancakes and tofu which were what I liked. They told me that they didn't have a baby crib when I called but when we got there they even have few available. However, it was odd when they didn't accept $100 printed in 1996. And like other small hotels there I didn't like the toilet which gave me the feeling of uncleaness with a kind of smell I didn't like although it looked pretty clean.

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

Four of us were randomly looking for a hotel with our driver and stopped by Ananda. We could only get fan rooms but thought that would be OK. We took two upstairs rooms adjoined by a balcony with lovely views over the rice paddy featuring ducks, unfortunately they couldn't find the key to the adjoining balcony door. It was very disappointing that the fans had only one speed, sloooooow. In fact the fans are useless and are unable to penetrate the netting over the bed which to be fair was big and comfortable.

The setting is beautiful and the kids loved having a choice of pools, the best being the one down the back over the creek secluded away from the rooms.

Rather than being suited to families I thought it was more geared to the yoga scene. 75 americans on a yoga tour turned up and the conversations we overheard were more than a bit new age and pretentious. It's also a fair hike to town which in some ways is a good thing but also opens the door for the intrusive staff to pester you about transport etc. As with some of the other recent reviews I agree that staff are on a mission to extract money wherever they can.

In summary this is a beautiful hotel that would benefit from a staff shake up. I considered going back to give tham another go but when I contacted them via email they quoted much higher rates which is strange particularly when they gave a cut to our driver first time.

Room Tip: check rooms when you get there dont prebook
  • Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2011

This was our third time at Ananda Cottages. After our second time at Ananda we had resolved to find alternative accomodation for future trips to Ubud, but alas on this trip our alternative accomodation did not eventuate so this time we were 'walk-in' customers. Ananda still has beautiful gardens, pools and rooms, and the food in the hotel resturant is fine. The draw back is that Ananda has increasingly become impersonal...we are well aware that we are just another wave of tourists but I guess that we don't want to feel like we are adding to the 'tourist fatigue.' Ananda has so much potential and I hope it one day re-discovers the welcoming essence of years past.

Room Tip: Rooms do vary so ask to see different ones.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family